It's Durward Kirby!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
SSO Admins
Administrator

It's Durward Kirby!

Post by SSO Admins »

Back in the 70s and early 80s, this was a gag line among my friends. There was a TV commercial where two women were shopping and Kirby came up to them to shill some product or another, and they said "Hey, it's Durward Kirby!"

The response from my friends and I was "who in the hell is Durward Kirby?"

Now I know who he was, but I can't for the life of me remember what the commercial was for. Does anyone remember?
ChiO

Re: It's Durward Kirby!

Post by ChiO »

It was a laundry detergent. The one that comes to mind is Duz -- however, Dolly Parton did Duz commercials with Porter Waggoner (Look here, Porter!), so I could be getting them confused (Durward and Porter that is, not Durward and Dolly...Dolly was not nearly as tall).

Didn't Mad Magazine do a "who the hell is Durward Kirby" parody?

(I keep editing because my keyboard cannot spell this morning.)
Last edited by ChiO on November 4th, 2009, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

This isn't what you're looking for, but it's a lot funnier.
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Not sure about Mad, ChiO, but I can sure attest that old DK got his name spoofed on "The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show", by featuring a mythical golden bowler known as The Curwood Derby!
As for the man behind the moniker, I seem to remember from the childhood years that he was an early version of Ed McMahon - sportscaster, announcer, fashion horse, co-host, spokesman, model, photo-op "chum to the stars" in the orbit of folks like Virginia Graham, the Arthurs: Godfrey & Linkletter, and Lowell Thomas.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Durwood Kirby is most famous for being the second banana on The Garry Moore TV show of the 1960's. Carol Burnett got her first big break on that comedy variety show. :D
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

When I was a little girl, I used to confuse Kirby with Sunny Tufts. But I think Kirby was a better actor :wink:

I, too remember him as a utility supporting player: emcee, pitchman, actor. I seem to recall him doing some pretty funny stuff in skits on the Garry Moore show -- he was much more than just the McMahon. The fact that he was so tall, and Moore so much shorter, gave a comic edge to most things they did together.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I've always thought his name was Durwood Kirby. I suppose I've watched too much "Bewitched" in my life. :o
klondike

Post by klondike »

Professional Tourist wrote:I've always thought his name was Durwood Kirby.
Me & you both, Aggie. (Yes, I know, she's your avatar & idol, not your personna, but my subconcious keeps thinking of you that way, so I'm giving in to it, unless you tell me not to, cause it's much more personable than "PT" . . unless there's a gender issue.)
My name confusion with Mr. Kirby arises, I guess, from a kiddie addiction to Rocky & Bullwinkle.
And say, here's a clever snippet of a quote from Mr. K:
"Age is just a number, and mine's unlisted!"
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

klondike wrote:Me & you both, Aggie. (Yes, I know, she's your avatar & idol, not your personna, but my subconcious keeps thinking of you that way, so I'm giving in to it, unless you tell me not to, cause it's much more personable than "PT" . . unless there's a gender issue.)
Putting the question of gender aside (no, I won't tell :P ) I'm most flattered to be thought of this way, but feel I don't deserve to be addressed as "Aggie." In my opinion Aggie was such a remarkable individual, beyond being a great artist, and I am not, nor could ever be, half the person she was. So thank you for the compliment, klondike, but I think 'PT' is just fine. :)
klondike

Post by klondike »

I see your point exactly. :wink:
AM was certainly a singular talent!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I too would have sworn it was "Durwood" but alas... he's one of those favorite characters out of my childhood TV memories.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I did get an answer to my question. Courtney found a scan of a feminist screed from the early 70s on the role of women in TV ads that mentions him shilling in supermarkets for Ivory Liquid.