Wagon Train on the Encore Western Channel

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Re: Wagon Train on the Encore Western Channel

Post by MissGoddess »

I saw one of my favorite episodes today, "The Ella Lindstrom Story", the first of three that superstar Bette Davis did for the series.

SPOILERS

And I liked it so much better than of the other TV work I've seen Davis do, including an episode of "The Twilight Zone" and of "Gunsmoke". For one, it's that rare thing in that Bette plays a mother, and not only a mother but one with seven children! In a plot that bears resemblance to the tearful favorite, All Mine To Give, recently widowed Davis learns she has a terminal illness while on the wagon train with her children. She's faced with the challenge of helping her brood find new homes among her fellow travellers, most difficult to place being her youngest: an adorable little boy who was born deaf due to measles. She's most worried about him, though he's so cute that I can't imagine anyone not jumping for him, and she stipulates that no one is to know of her illness because she wants the kids to find foster homes that love them, no take them out of pity. Only the Major (Ward Bond) knows her situation, and he was the one to break the news to her about her illness in the first place at her doctor's request. The most affecting scene in the show is when Bond breaks the news to Davis. Interestingly, the two are filmed standing outside, rather distant from each other, and Bond has what I believe is one of his finest moments telling a woman he obviously respects such hard news, and then having to witness her painful reaction. Watching Bette Davis break down isn't easy, watching any woman cry his hard on a man but watching Bette cry is like watching a strong man fall apart! But the scene never gets maudlin, and he doesn't rush to embrace her nor do either of them make any false move. The scene is a credit to both performers and very moving. I'm not sure if "Wagon Train" is still on Netflix for instant viewing, but if so, don't miss "The Ella Lindstrom Story" from Season 2 (Episode 18). This has sealed the deal for my decision to purchase the series DVDs (when I can afford to).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

With all respect to Marshall Dillon, the brothers Maverick and the Cartwright clan, WAGON TRAIN was TV's best western. Overly dramatic it may be. But it has more heart than any of the others. Wisely focused on the stories of the guest stars, we get what we now call a "stand alone" story along with the continuing saga. Stars such as Bette Davis, Robert Vaughan, Peter Lorre and...George Gobel (Go west with Horace Best!) used their considerable talents to great effect in the telling of these old fashioned tales.

Ward Bond provides the strongest presence. If Major Adams yelled at me, I'd hide under a rock! But I'd be witness to some of the most solid, enthralling acting in golden age TV. Too young for the original broadcasts, my friends and I watched re-runs as TRAILMASTER. It was an important part our day. Go to school. Annoy some girls. Now get the hell home and watch cowboys!

I like the way John Wayne was billed in the Civil War episode. My first and middle names just happen to be MICHAEL MORRIS! Wagons ho!
Last edited by RedRiver on October 9th, 2011, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Mike Morris...I'm very glad this series is on DVD and Encore for re-discovery. For years I'd only heard about it and didn't know what to expect, unsure if I'd like it as much as the others. But it's gotten all my respect and is now one of my favorites. Along with Bond, I really love Terry Wilson and Frank McGrath and have to include them among the best western "sidekicks" ever. I'm also impressed with Robert Horton, he handles the physicality of his role well and he's got a great sense of humor.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Flint McCullough was clearly the dashing hero. Major Adams the anchor that held it all together. As a young boy, I couldn't help but look up to Flint. But the major was pretty much always my favorite! Robert Horton turned up later in a series called A MAN CALLED SHENANDOAH. A western with an amnesia theme. Pretty lacklustre as I recall. But at ten years old, I had no complaints!
tinker

Post by tinker »

I am glad there are other people here who enjoy Wagon Train. It was fun reading this thread.

The sixth season is out on DVD now so I have had some time over Easter to watch it. I know it was the season that caused some changes because both Ward Bond and Robert Horton were no longer there but I am finding it as all the other seasons really good.

You get a chance to see some old favourites and some about to be's doing often quite unusual roles and whilst some of the stories are a bit shaky, some given the confines of the medium, were very good. In a way this season was all about the guest stars. It included Jean Hagen, Joseph Cotten, Joan Fonataine and very young Peter Fonda.

There was one particularly well written story when the named character did not even get a credit. It was a Custer type figure and you only saw him at the end. THe story was all what other people saw him as. Barry Morse ( of the Fugitive) was brilliant as a drunken reporter who made the man a legend. I think one of tje things I enjoy about this and some of the old westerns is they don't play it safe. Sometimes it does not work but it was a differnt time. There was a very odd story with J.D. Cannon (an oldy but a goody) as a sea captain caught up in revenege and ghosts from the past. An strange story for a western.

Of course some of the Indian portrayals are off. There was a very peculiar Indian princess type story but and I often think this is not recognised, in the faltering steps you can in the stories see things changing. Sometimes I get annoyed at the way some of the fifties and sixties material is dismissed as racist because yes many were but you can also see the changes in ideas happening in front of your eyes when you watch some of those series develop. And whilst they seem not strong enough now, for their time many were making very brave statements. Off my soap box.

I have to admit to quite a crush on Terry Wilson theses days. Bill Hawks is one of my favourite characters. It must be all my stuntman reading. He did alot of the Robert Horton roles in the sixth season and he was pretty good. Apparently he also did most of the stunt coordination, doubled for many of the actors and wrote a few episodes, as well as alot of the fast four up driving!!!! I hope they paid him four salaries. Andf of course Frank McGrath!!!! Charlie Wooster. Its fun the way Terry Wilson and Frank McGrath's very real friendship spills into Charlie and Bill realtionship. Terry Wilson wrote some of the Charlies episodes. The way he always calls Charlie Charles.

You don't realise how big a role Charlie was and some of it surprisingly dramatic as well as funny. There is a fun episode with Jeanette Nolan playing a tough old bird who forces Charlie to marry her. The dumb sons were L.Q Jones and Morgan Woodward. Both were having fun. Strangely John McIntyre was not in that episode.

And I can't resist saying just how good riders both Frank McGrath and Terry Wilson were.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I don't blame you one bit for having a crush on Terry. He's a big sweetheart. So is Frank, they are a wonderful pair and really I cannot think of the one without the other. I still have to catch up to the post-Bond WT episodes as they were not aired on Encore, but I'm looking forward to them. I agree that there were often some excellent storylines in these shows, many that beat what you see today in that they are so very character oriented. It's funny that a western show should be like that (character vs action-oriented) but the genre actually lends itself to that, as we've seen time and again.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If we had to lose the great Ward Bond, John McIntyre was a credible replacement. A fine, dependable actor.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Terry Wilson and Frank McGrath's very real friendship spills into Charlie and Bill realtionship.

That's one of the strongest elements of the series. And SO John Ford! Like Captain Brittles and Quincannon. Marty and Mose. What are these guys babbling about now?
tinker

Post by tinker »

That's one of the strongest elements of the series. And SO John Ford! Like Captain Brittles and Quincannon. Marty and Mose. What are these guys babbling about now?

I know its my Ford fixation but when you think of how successful many of his stock company were, its hard to underestimate Ford's influence on films and television in general. Clearly Wagon Train through Ward Bond was hugely influenced, in the characterisation and focus on good 'actor" stories and given Gene Roddenberry and Gene Coon's connection to Wagon Train, maybe Star Trek as well. It would be interesting to trace back some of the "friends as family" type shows and see if there is a Ford connection. A bit like six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

What is STAR TREK but WAGON TRAIN in space? The format is the same.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:What is STAR TREK but WAGON TRAIN in space? The format is the same.
I heard that many times in the past from my nieces that goes to Star Trek Conventions ... and guess what they are right on the nose!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I love Wagon Train. The theme song, the characters, the different cast members each week, Charlie and Bill, the Ford stock company feel. Comforting stories.
Have problems, fix them one way or the other, move on down the trail.

Robert Horton and Robert Fuller....Denny Miller...Who can ever fault a cute cowboy?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Flint McCullough, handsome fella,
Knows his way about.
When he rides by, the ladies sigh,
"There's a darn good scout!"
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

:-)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
stuart.uk

Hard done by Bill Hawkes Wagon Train

Post by stuart.uk »

During the Wagon Train series,Terry Wilson's Bill Hawkes served under 4 wagonmasters, Ward Bond's Seth Adams, Robert Horton's Flint McCulloch (Caretaker) Lee Marvin for one episode The Chris Hale Story and finally John Mcintire's Chris Hale,when her himself was assistant wagonmaster. In fact in one episode, when Chris Hale had been shot Bill had to take over the wagon train and did a great job under difficult circumstances.

I realize that when Ward Bond died of a heart attack, a big name was probably needed to replace him, so John Mcintire, but wonder if the character of Bill Hawkes, given his C.V would feel hard done by at not being made wagonmaster himself..........................

The other thing I wonder about Bill, is that while he wasn't in the first few shows, when he did appear we discover he and Seth Adams go back a long way. In fact in the John Ford directed The Colter Craven Story we're told in flashback,Bill and Seth worked as equal buisness partners before General Grant made Seth a Major. Yet in the show he always called Seth Major