The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Vecchiolarry

Re: The Royals!

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

The Queen today won the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot, when her horse, "Estimate", won his horse race.
This is the first time Her Majesty has won at Ascot and she was thrilled.... Dressed all in purple, she could be seen very excitedly jumping up and down and waving from The Royal Box to the cheering crowds below her; and she received the Gold Cup from her son, Prince Andrew.....

She looked and acted 25 years younger than her 87 years.
Hopefully, with all the adrenilin running through her, she will continue on for another 10 years - or more!!!

Congratulations, Your Majesty....

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Vecchiolarry wrote:She looked and acted 25 years younger than her 87 years.
Only 25 years younger? She looks like a young girl delirious with delight and disbelief!
[youtube][/youtube]

The only thing that might top this for her is that impending royal baby, born healthy and bonny.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Thank you Moira,

A lot of film was presented today on our news about this.. Happy news & good news for a change.

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

King Albert II, King of the Belgians, has announced that he will abdicate on July 21st.... The King is in ill health apparently...
He will be succeeded by his son, Crown Prince Phillippe, Duke of Brabant; Phillippe is married to Crown Princess Mathilde and they have 4 children.

This abdication comes 2 months after Queen Beatrix abdicated the throne of the Netherlands....
Rumours abound also that King Harold II of Norway will abdicate soon also because of ill health.

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

With the due date of 'thee royale babee' approaching - July 13th to 17th - the British media and press and betting establishments are going crazy trying to predict the gender and name(s) for the little tike....

My views:
I don't really care if it's a boy or girl...
I'm going with Eleanor and Philip...

But I would not be disappointed if Charlotte or Alexandra were chosen... Victoria, Elizabeth and Caroline would be second names for my choices.
Geoffrey is another I'd pick for a first name and even Gregory or Christopher; and Richard or Frederick for a second one.

We've had too many Henrys, Edwards and Georges and James is a long shot and John is a non-runner...
Mary is boring and Diana is trouble; and I guess Joanna is out (Juana la Loca)..... Sophia and Amelia would be different!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's so exciting! I hope all goes well.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:
My views:
I don't really care if it's a boy or girl...
I'm going with Eleanor and Philip...

Larry
Me too ... I like the waiting game too ... I loved those names that you selected Larry!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I was reading one of the lower brow newspapers whilst in the hairdressers last week. They were offering a free bet to every reader, the money is on a girl called Alexandra, but if a boy the money's on George. My mother in law seems to think Kate has let it slip that it is a girl and some wag has written an article saying that helicopter pilots always have girls. I do like Alexandra but we've never had one in her own right and the royals so like to be traditional, it would be great to create another name for the monarchy but will it happen, I'm not sure. I like the name, Princess Alexandra is one of the Queen's favourite cousins and Queen Alexandra has long been a favourite of mine but she was far from perfect. This could be a really good news week, Andy Murray winning Wimbledon and a new royal heir.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love that name Alexandra too. CCFan!
charliechaplinfan

I keep checking the news headlines, it's one news item I'd like to find out about firsthand.

I do feel quite sorry for her, I remember the phone ringing every day when I was expecting my two, they were both two weeks late and everyday the phone rang to check on progress, each and every relative. I felt my body wasn't working quickly enough for them or to their schedules. Poor Kate, there are queues of media around the hospital.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

As the birth of "thee royale babee" approacheth, here are some old royal names that may be considered - other than the ones now bandied about:

Herleva Harold
Matilda Edmond
Emma Edgar
Edith Thomas
Judith Lionel
Cecily Humphrey
Blanche Roger
Constance Robert
Arabella Owen
Sophia Jasper
Dorothy(ea) Guilford
Sarah Rupert
Marjorie Rudolph
Ingrid Roderick
Irene Leopold
Violet Ernest
Alma Anthony

And lastly, my name Lawrence if a boy; and Laura if a girl.....

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ive always loved the name Emma. Alexandra too. I always wished Gwendolyn was my full name. I don't expect any particular name, traditional or non. For boys, I like Paul, Stephen and of course, Andrew but that would be confusing.
charliechaplinfan

I found it so much easier to name a girl, we both like traditional names, I'd have loved Alexandra just as much as Elizabeth, naming a boy is much harder work, I think because Joe was our second and all my friends had boys with traditional names and we didn't want to copy, Joe was the only name we liked not taken. He's Joseph Victor, which causes some amusement at school.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Joe fits him though.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Let's the waiting games begins ... It will be interesting to see what name they pick ... I'm rooting for a girl and Alexandra!