The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Vecchiolarry

Re: The Royals!

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Just to bring this thread up-to-date:

Prince George Alexander Louis was born July 22nd to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
I guess we all saw that on TV, as it was the major news story for days (weeks)....

I don't care for the name George, as there's been too many of them - 6 - on the British throne. 4 were horrible and 2 were stupid; not a very good track record for that name.
Don't mind Alexander or Louis, but where's Philip?

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Don't mind Alexander or Louis, but where's Philip?

Larry
I'm with you on George, Larry, but apparently this is one of the most popular names in the UK (hmm, why? Probably the St. George and the Dragon being the patron saint of England as well as all those kings--not to mention the parents' grandfathers, uncles, etc. who were Georges). Maybe Philip will creep into the name of "the spare" child down the road. Princess Philippa Diana has a nice ring to it too.

The good news is that after two months convalescing from his surgery, Prince Philip is returning to public life, attending an event at the Royal Society of Edinburgh on the 12th of August.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

My daughter-in-law Anne was perhaps the person in my family most susceptible to the royal baby buzz. Her son (and my grandson) Oliver is just over a year old and all of her friends seem to be having babies these days. She had heard that Oliver was on the short list of possible names, and was pulling for that one.

I recently borrowed the two Elizabeth films starring Cate Blanchett from my library. I'll be poking around the board to see what others thought of those films. King Phillip of Spain doesn't get a very sympathetic treatment. The association with the new baby's name didn't strike me as terribly auspicious either.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

The new royal baby has been christened in The Chapel Royal at St. James Palace in London today.
His grandmother, Diana, lay in state there 16 years ago before her funeral; therefore George was probably christened there to link a bond.....
He behaved himself in his gown of satin and lace, a replica of the one worn by every other member of the family since Princess Victoria, the daughter of Albert & Victoria in 1840.... He looked cute.

I hope there will be a picture of him with his father, grandfather and great-grandmother just as there was one in 1894 with Victoria, the future Edward VII and George V and Edward VIII...
Also, they should include a picture with all of them and Philip, the great-grandfather, and also one with just Philip and George - I think that would be great!!

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I've seen the official baptismal pictures of Prince George.
They did recreate the old 4 monarchs photograph; but The Queen was not holding Prince George, which was a disappointment; and she was still wearing a hat (inside her home??)...
Come on!!!

I had hoped they would do it exactly like Queen Victoria - she was holding the far-future in Prince Edward; surely Elizabeth could have done the same.

There were other photos too which were very nice as it included everybody.

The little prince behaved himself quite well and is cute...

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That's wonderful Larry ... and thanks for sharing these news to us. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It would be awesome to see all the generations together like that, from oldest to young George.

I don't know why I can't get used to his name. I think it's that I have a new nephew, Arthur, who is the same age and I instinctively want to call the new prince Arthur.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ask and you shall receive, Larry.

Four sitting and future monarchs

Family photo of the christening

The (very young) man of the hour and his parents

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

In the second photo, with George on her lap and the lace hanging down that matches her frock, doesn't Kate look like she's wearing one of Queen Alexandra's dresses from the Edwardian era?

Here's a nice photo journal from the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ghter.html
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I liked those through-the-years photos from The Telegraph, Wen. In the last photo of Prince George above, doesn't it look as though Mum might be tickling him?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It sure does, or as if she were playing a game of upsy daisy or something... He's much happier than Wills is in the picture with Diana...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lovely Pictures here Moira ... and my humble thanks for posting these ... these are amazing! :)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Thank you Moira,

A happy day for the royalty....

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Today, Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, celebrates his mile-stone 65th birthday....
Congratulations and many happy returns of the day!!!

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love those pictures of the christening and the picture of the Queen with 3 monarchs in waiting. That is going to be one of the pictures of this century. Is it just me or does George look the spitting image of his father at the same age?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin