The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Re: Kate and William

Post by stuart.uk »

I haven't really watched the highlights, but thought the Princess Royal Anne looked really smart. just as she did in 1981 at Charles and Diana's wedding. I was wondering if Anne was going to turn up in her smart Naval trouser suit, as she wore it to the funerals of her aunt and grandmother.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought Anne looked great too! Does she never age? What is her secret?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I watched the whole thing and thought it was all very well done.

Love that they are now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - that's the title I was hoping for.
Her tiara is the Scroll Tiara, owned by the Queen Mother and inherited by The Queen. Now, I guess it's Catherines....

Thought The Queen, Mrs. Middleton and Camilla were the best dressed.

The Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie looked like something out of a science fiction horror show. No style, no taste. Yuck.....
Posh Spice - what was that? A pony tail with a big ugly black pudding propped on top; and wearing her black shower curtains. And she's supposed to be a fashion designer??? Ugh!!!

BTW, Ella is Lady Gabriella Windsor, daughter of Prince & Princess Michael of Kent.
She's beautiful and quite stylish. It would be nice if she married Harry!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, Lady Gabriella Windsor - to me, she was the essence of style today. And I now have gone back and seen Mrs. Middleton, in pale blue, and she was just perfect - dress, coat, hat... all lovely.

I thought I was the only one who thought Victoria Beckham was one of the worst dressed people in the world. She always looks so dour, and her makeup is always too harsh. I have never seen her look appropriate to an occasion, but everyone oohs and aahs over her. She tries too hard and it drives me crazy.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Vecchiolarry wrote:The Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie looked like something out of a science fiction horror show. No style, no taste. Yuck.....
Posh Spice - what was that? A pony tail with a big ugly black pudding propped on top; and wearing her black shower curtains. And she's supposed to be a fashion designer??? Ugh!!!
Hey! What's not to love about Eugenie and Beatrice's hats?! I wonder what Philip Treacy was thinking when he designed these things? He did a great job on the hats for Camilla Parker-Bowles and the mother-of-the-bride Carol Middleton.

I agree with both of you about Posh Spice. What a grim puss!
Vecchiolarry wrote:BTW, Ella is Lady Gabriella Windsor, daughter of Prince & Princess Michael of Kent.
She's beautiful and quite stylish. It would be nice if she married Harry!!
Ooh, I must admit a fondness for Prince Michael. I saw him in Boston once (he was getting in a limo outside the Copley Plaza, I was off to the salt mines). I knew instantly that he was a Windsor. He looks so much like King George V, his grandfather.

Btw, all in all, Larry, don't you think that it is a good thing Will didn't marry his cousin, Lady Gabriella? A fresh gene pool could be beneficial, no? :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think Beatrice and Eugenie have their mother's genes when it comes to fashion, I think they are very close to their Grandmother. A pity their mother wasn't there. I was thinking back to when Sarah married the Duke of York, she was hailed as such a breathe of fresh air in the world of the stuffy royals, winknig at friends when she was coming back up the aisle, wearing flowers in her hair on the way down the aisle and a tiara on the way back. How times have changed, she's still persona non grata here.

Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge was only loaned the tiara, as is tradition, they belong to the monarch, so they will be William's one day.

I was heartened to see Camilla in the heart of the proceedings, she's being allowed to show that she's a lovely woman, so obviously appreciated by her step sons and if they like her why the heck can't the public. They have found it in their heart to accept the woman their father loves. It's very touching to see and know of the two Princes love for both their parents and their step mother. Hopefully she will be a good role model for the new Duchess.

I wish I'd seen more of the fashions, it seemed everytime the camera settled on someone, off it went to report on people on the Mall, although I did get a prolonged look at Victoria Beckham and thought she got it so wrong, a funeral perhaps she'd have got it right but from what I saw, the worst dressed. I didn't see Ella. I loved Samantha Cameron, hatless with simple jewels in her hair and dazzling emerald gree, another person with timeless elegance. I thought the Queen picked so a joyous colour and a Spring colour too, notice how no other Royal wore that colour, although there was a woman sat on the aisle in the same colour.

I'm just watching the highlights again, hopefully I'll get to see more fashions.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

Yes, I guess I have to agree with you that Ella & Harry would probably not work out....
Besides I think they both have others whom they are interested in...

On second viewing, Beatrice's (the one on the right) coat dress doesn't look so bad. But that hat or whatever is downright stupid.
Eugenie though looks like a tubby smurf.... I hope they didn't pay more than .50 cents for their outfits; if they did, then they are stupid!!!

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Here are some of my favorites. Though I could not find a photo of Gabriella, I found one of her mother, Princess Michael of Kent (I think this is my favorite outfit):

Princess Maxima of the Netherlands:

Charlene Wittstock, Prince Albert's girlfriend:

Crown Princess Letizia :

Sophie Winkleman:

Sophie Countess of Wessex(I thought the color washed her out a bit, but she was so stylish, I didn't care):
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I was watching the UK magazine program The One Show. Appearing as a guest was tv presenter Angela Rippon, who said she worked for an American network covering the wedding. Then I read another UK presenter Jennie Bond also worked for U.S tv on the day. I wonder if they made an impression. Jennie was once the BBC Royal reporter and Angela in her newsreading days did a fantastic dance routine with Morcambe And Wise, which will be on you tube

Alison

After Diana died, I thought if the boys could accept Camilla that should be enough. Mind you I thought Camilla had won the hearts and minds of the British public. I also think she would make a great Queen
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Angela Rippon was on E network, one very beautiful older woman in a gorgeous lilac suit, she knew everything!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

I know this is a litte of thread, so I hope it's okay. In the 1970s Angela was the first female newsreader in the UK. She was also a trained dancer. Morcambe and Wise, who'd danced with Glenda Jackson, had the idea that newsreaders never showed their legs, so they asked Angela onto the show and this was the result

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

This is Angela still dancing as a sideline to her jounalistic career

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My goodness! I never would have known that she had such great gams from the work she did broadcasting the wedding today!

She did a fabulous job, guiding the whole news process, especially when the others were chatting over something of import, like the sound of the trumpets at the end of the wedding. She answered their questions so well and properly - describing where the wedding ring was from (Wales) for example, or protocol issues. Much better than the horrible woman on another channel telling everyone how to take tea (really, what has that got to do with the wedding?). The other woman didn't even get that right...even I know that the milk goes in the cup first.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

After TMAW show she was nicknamed Legs Rippon
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Corbis has posted 58 pages of very good color pictures detailing the wedding and the crowds, which you can see below, if interested:
Royal Wedding Images
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks