The Royals!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Re: The Royals!

Post by mrsl »

I'm sure those of you from or living in Britain are thrilled and happy for Kate and Will, but I hope you don't have the same kind of idiot paparazzi that we have here in the States. I fear for her being frightened when one of them sneaks up on her, that she might lose her footing and take a tumble or something. Just call me gloom and doom, but she is a lovely lady and I've seen what the fools do here. A couple of weeks ago, they scared Halle Barry's little 5 year old terribly while Hallie kept trying to get them away.

I also extend my good wishes for your Queen.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

There have been journalists charged in France about an article in one of their celebrity magazines which showed Kate topless on holiday with William. I felt very sorry for them but it did show a naivety, some journalists will stop at nothing to get the pictures and story they want. I think we have a more respectful press towards the royals here because in large they are seen as people doing a job just like most of us, they didn't chose their celebrity but they are the biggest celebrities of them all.

Since when did children become open season for journalists. That's stooping too low if you ask me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Vecchiolarry wrote:It all does hinge on the birth of Edward IV however; and whether he was legitimate or not, his father did recognize him as his son and he was brought up in the York family as a prince.
Also, he gained the throne through conquest - defeating Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou, and their son at the Battle of Tucksberry. And so, he was the rightful King of England; just as Henry VII was King after defeating Edward's brother, Richard III at Bosworth Field in 1485.

Both Edward IV and Henry VII are recognized as Kings in their own right (of conquest) - not the Duke of Clarence's offspring!!!

Also, today Parliament declares who is the monarch, not unproven history suppositions...
The Act of Settlement and the Act of Succession in Britain determines that Protestant descendands of the Electress Sophia of Hanover are the only elegible persons considered for that job!!!
Very interesting information Larry. Anyway, the late Earl of Loudon (he died in 2010) did not care about being a monarch :wink: He was a staunch republican...
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi CCF:

The paparazzi here in the U.S. have no sense of decency at all. Normally, I don't care who gained weight, colored their hair, or got married or divorced in H'Wood but even I was appalled when I saw the clip the news and various talk shows played. Halle and her friend landed at the airport and they were walking toward their car. Halle's guy was getting the kids into the car, and Halle was left back a little and was yelling "There is a child here, go away", but of course the idiots just kept trying to get closer. Apparently there are no laws governing the actions of these so-called newspeople. They are not reporters of intelligent news, just printing or photographing whatever dirt they can, even to following a celebrity couple with children. I'm more interested in President Obama and the Congress than this sort of thing, but once in a while a story like this gets to me. I think your paparazzi is a little more refined than ours. But like that one who took photos of Kate, there is always a bad apple in the bunch.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

[youtube][/youtube]

Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands abdicates today in favor of her son Prince Willem-Alexander, who will now be king. Observed yesterday by millions, including Prince Charles and Camilla, this event marked a peaceful transition from one generation to the next after 33 years of Beatrix's reign. Seemingly all of the Dutch took this as an opportunity to celebrate their beloved monarchs and to get used to the idea of a male on the throne (none have ruled there since 1890). Here's an in-depth article about the historical roots of this transition and some background on the Dutch royal house:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/world ... lands.html

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/globale-pa ... vestiture/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for letting us know ... I saw her once while vacationing in the Netherlands back in 1994. I tried unsuccessfully to get a snapshot of her but there were way too many people to contend with. I was in the Netherlands for 1 week on a tour group and I had a great time when I was there. She was adored by her people and I was told by my friends that she is well respected by the Dutch peoples. Thanks for posting it Moira! :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Rita Hayworth wrote:Thanks for letting us know ... I saw her once while vacationing in the Netherlands back in 1994. I tried unsuccessfully to get a snapshot of her but there were way too many people to contend with. I was in the Netherlands for 1 week on a tour group and I had a great time when I was there. She was adored by her people and I was told by my friends that she is well respected by the Dutch peoples. Thanks for posting it Moira! :)
How neat that you got to visit Holland, Erik! Wish you could have gotten a snap of her too. I was interested in this event in large part because of my interest in the heroic behavior of Beatrix's grandmother, Queen Wilhelmina during WWII. Described by Hitler as the "arch-enemy of all mankind," she had to rule in exile, but her broadcasts late at night were treasured by her people and proved to be an inspiration to the Dutch Resistance. Her forced evacuation after the Netherlands were invaded and defeated was done under considerable duress. Wilhelmina apparently really didn't want to leave, but was compelled to do so by the Allies. According to one account, she was widely respected by her allies, particularly Churchill, who described her as "the only real man" among the governments-in-exile in London!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

I was touched when I watched today's footage of Beatrix's abdication, it was so dignified and so different from our way of monarchy but no less loved. One could make a very strong argument for this being the right way to do monarchy, sometimes I do think our Queen is worked far too hard considering her age but I couldn't see her abdicating. Still the Pope did and no one expected that.

Thanks Fernando, I don't know how I missed that programme when it was on, well I do, Tony Robinson isn't Chris's favourite presenter and he usually has the remote. I knew of Edward IV illegitamacy, I'm not entirely convinced, what if this had been planted in the archives by someone trying to discredit Edward. It was fascinating to see the Earl of Loudon and his families reaction.
~
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Isn't Tony Robinson the fellow who played Baldrick on Black Adder? I never got past the opening because youtube wasn't working for me, and I was laughing waiting for him to say "I've got a cunning plan".
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Thanks Fernando, I don't know how I missed that programme when it was on, well I do, Tony Robinson isn't Chris's favourite presenter and he usually has the remote. I knew of Edward IV illegitamacy, I'm not entirely convinced, what if this had been planted in the archives by someone trying to discredit Edward. It was fascinating to see the Earl of Loudon and his families reaction.
~
Welcome Ali. I knew it'd be your cup of tea :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Yes, he was Baldrick, he's mostly a history programme presenter today. I did find it fascinating, I wish they'd have done more about Queen Barbara though, she looked very regal.

Anne, that's terrible about Halle Berry and her child, there is no excuse, at least the photographer and magazine who went after Kate was French, so we can still hold our head up but I'm sure we have our share of celebrity chasing paparazzi.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's an interesting op-ed piece on the role of the monarchy in Dutch life by Arnon Grunberg, a novelist who lives there:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/opini ... actor.html

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Our media are reporting that Kate's Bugaboo pram is in light blue. Read into that what you will, it could be a smoke screen, or it could be a boy or they might be old fashioned and have decided not to find out.

She is absolutely blooming at the moment. Yet Glamour magazine has voted Kristen Stewart the world's best dressed woman. Somehow I don't agree.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Are you kidding me? Kristen Stewart looked terrible at the Oscars, like she was going to prom or something. I realize the broken leg was a drawback but she was outclassed by everyone.

To me, she always looks like she stepped out of a high school somewhere. It's not her age, it's her clothing choices, even dressed up she looks kind of sloppy. I'm sorry I don't usually rant but she is inelegant and dull. I can't even imagine what they were thinking.
charliechaplinfan

Me neither, she doesn't look like she has much sparkle although she does seem to have that look that would appeal to teenagers but Glamour magazine, maybe they were having a bad day. Emma Watson came second, I can appreciate her sense of style better. Give me Kate anyday.