Post by movieman1957 »

Seen this?

[youtube][/youtube]
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Re: Kate and William

Post by stuart.uk »

The World Snooker Championship from Sheffield is on the BBCs interactive button at the same time as the wedding, so it might be an alternative to those wanting to escape the big event
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well, I'm now officially caught up in the excitement. Libby is making Union Jacks as I speak, my Dad is making a buffet lunch, we are chilling some bubbly. Instead of the hullaballoo that was the build up to Diana's wedding this has been much more contained, an article on the news every night and programmes devoted to the Royal couple but the anticipation now is palpabel, people I'd never have thought of being caught up in the excitement are, especially children. Now doubt I'll well up. Will any of you be watching as Kate says I do. I'll raise a glass to you as she says so.

Stuart, it appears that the inclusion of John Major and Margaret Thatcher (who can't attend for health reasons) is because they are Knights if the Garter which Blair and Brown aren't. Do you have the day off tomorrow? I hope you enjoy it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I don't know why, but I find that video very moving -- in a good way.

Perhaps William and Kate would almost wish their ceremony could be like that. 8)

Thanks for posting, movieman1957. :)
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

No

As a public service worker Public holidays no longer excist exept for Christmas and New Year. What you get is a day of later on. However, most of us still take a public holiday as our day of like on the coming Monday
feaito

Post by feaito »

Today I was watching the wedding (it's been profusely broadcast here in Chile too) and when I saw Princess Catherine in her wedding outfit, it looked so reminiscent of the wedding dress that Princess Grace of Monaco wore in 1956. Don't you agree? She looked very beautiful and elegant (less is more they say).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That video is hilarious!

I just watched the wedding... at first I was a bit non-plussed, everything seemed so understated, small and relaxed compared to the Charles and Diana wedding, but of course, that's totally appropriate for our times. Then, as they played God Save the Queen and Jerusalem I teared up. Also enjoyed seeing the couple walk out of Westminster and the roar of the crowd! Lovely!

I loved Kate's bridesmaid's dress! It was beautiful! Kate's gown grew on me, I tuned in halfway through the wedding so I didn't see it with full train, but it was beautifully calm and sophisticated. I really loved her tiny flowered tiara with the simple veil... that to me was the most stunning looking part of her accessories.

Ferchu - All the talk over here is how the Duchess of Cambridge's dress was so reminiscent of Princess Grace's...

I always love seeing the coach rides to Buckingham Palace, it reminds me of seeing the Queen Mum on her 100th birthday.

To me the best part was the second kiss.

Is anyone else wondering what it would have been like, had Diana been alive to be there? I miss her sense of drama and style. Though the match is relaxed and happy, the event seems missing some excitement.

Oh, yes, I forgot...no one mentioned it on TV, but I thought Camilla looked exceptional today.
charliechaplinfan

I've just got back form my mother's, we watched the wedding, even the boys came. I loved her gown, her choice of tiara and her understated veil. I think the initial plans for the wedding had got this one wrong, they hadn't anticipated how keenly the public would want to experience the wedding. Catherine should have left from a royal residence and should have been in a royal coach, the same with William and Harry. They didn't want to be accused of wasting money or overplaying the sigificance of the day. The most gratifying thing for me, apart from seeig a couple so evidently in love with one another, is how many young people were in the crowd. we are constantly being told how the monarchy is a dying institution, unloved and unwanted. The Queen was amazed by the public out pouring of love for her her Golden Jubilee and as she got to the Palace after the service she was heard to say 'It's amazing' meaning the affectation from the crowd.

Gosh, she was lovely. Did anyone catch William saying to her 'You look beautiful' when she got to the altar? There were many asides, I wish I could have got everything said, I'm sure it will all be told, I'm quite surprised that the BBC didn't have a lip reader on hand. She's so understated, with all the jewels she could have worn and yet she kept it all very simple, she has a very unstated glamour about her.

Any thoughts on the bridesmaids dresses, I like her sister's dress, the design was simple but I felt it should be another colour. Maybe I'm too traditional, I think only brides should wear white.

All the way through my Mum kept saying how she'd have chosen Harry until Libby pointed out that she's very silly, she'd never have been asked and she's Catholic so she couldn't and besides all that, she too old and married. Talk about popping Mum's balloon. Mum has a point, he's a lovely looking man, full of impish humour. I like to think that had Diana still been alive that both her and Charles would have played their full roles as parents of the groom.

I didn't see any Presidents but plenty of foreign royals.

God bless our Queen and her husband, my biggest cheer was reserved for her. I've had a lovely day, so very emotional and proud both in terms of the royal couple and the outpouring of love for our monarchy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm with your mum... :D But I always go for the second lead.

I'm watching the replays of the whole thing, the boys are wonderful, both gracious, waving and greeting people with good humor and smiles.
charliechaplinfan

It brings back memories of a similar wedding years ago. Something I never knew, when Radio 4/the home service were casting around for a voice to present the Royal wedding over the air waves a Mr Jenkins who worked on the production staff said he would ask his brother. Lo and behold, Richard Burton accepted immediately and was the voice that was heard around the world.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I never knew that either! I remember Laurence Olivier narrated wedding footage from 1952...

I love the way Charles, Andrew and the Duke of Edinburgh look! Very handsome family, in their later years. Andrew and Charles went through some rough phases, but they are lovely to look at now... the uniforms don't hurt.

And the Queen is brilliant in butter yellow...

my favorite hat:

The one worn by Ella (short for something but I missed it) - azure blue framing the side and back of her head with maybe a touch of pink on the top? It was lovely.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm watching Kate getting out of the car.... that dress is absolutely beautiful! I never got a good look at it during the last half of the wedding.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I second all your comments! What a joyous occasion and I particularly loved the trees along the sides in Winchester Cathedral, which brought nature into the soaring Gothic interior. My favorite dress was Pippa's gown, which she could wear as a wedding dress someday too. I particularly loved the way that the roguish Harry's red hair was all askew, and the way he glanced over his shoulder as his brother Will kept his eyes toward the altar as Kate and her father came up the aisle. Harry kept his brother Will giggling in church until Kate made it to the altar, when Will immediately did the same with her, sharing several smiles and several moving glances with her during the ceremony.

Someone hired a lip reader for ABC news, who reportedly said that Kate whispered "I'm so happy...let us pray" as she climbed into the carriage with her new husband as they left the ceremony. I don't know whether to believe that one, but I hope they are happy. When they kissed twice on the balcony, it was quite touching. Best of all was the tiniest flower girl on the balcony who covered her ears when the crowd roared. She looked as though she needed a nap immediately, but perked up when Charles unexpectedly picked her up and helped her. He has relaxed so much in the last few years and looks far better than he ever did in his turbulent middle years.

Questionable fashion choices: Beatrice and Eugenie's "edgy" outfits and hats! I'm sure they will be raked over the coals for that by the press. But they probably didn't want to look stuffy. It will give the talking heads in the fashion police something to dissect.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OK..That long walk down the aisle gave me all the pomp and circumstance I could ever want.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes! I agree, Moira...those edgy outfits Beatrice and Eugenie wore seemed pure eighties to me, maybe they might have been perfect for Diana's wedding had it been more up to date at the time.

I really think Charles has grown into a more publicly loving father... It was touching to see his, Camilla's and Kate's care of the youngsters on the balcony.

And thank goodness for Harry... what an enlivening presence he is, without going overboard. He's a doll.