Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
feaito

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:We have Buckets that are pronounced Bookay (Bouquet)
Are you referring to the British serial about uppity Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)? My brother loves that one!
feaito

Post by feaito »

:D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote::D
:D
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

And Palestine, Texas, is pronounced "pal-uss-TEEN!"
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

feaito wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:We have Buckets that are pronounced Bookay (Bouquet)
Are you referring to the British serial about uppity Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet)? My brother loves that one!
Yes, Keeping Up Appearances, it pokes fun at pretensions like Bucket/Bouquet. There are people like that too.

If I have problems understanding a broad Scots accent I do wonder in a country as big as America how you manage to understand one another. Do you have the equivalent to the classless, regionless accent that used to define the BBC news? Or is it any accent goes on national TV?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

We in the Midwest say 7 highway, 435 ( for interstate 435) without the "the". It used to be that the regionless accent used on tv was that of the Midwest.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

"We in the Midwest..."! "We in the Midwest..."?

We all know that the Midwest is Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, & Minnesota. (Oh, Kentucky and Missouri can slip in when we're feeling generous. They're such social climbers.)

You'uns are in the Plains states (or, if one is a social climber, the Great Plains states).

Don't make me come out there to learn ya.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:P
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what's up backstage on Downton Abbey. I wonder if they're chintzy with salaries, or parts not considered 'big' enough? Why would three of the main characters' actors decide to quit and move on? Perhaps the problem is eyes too big for stomachs as in Pernell Roberts when he left Bonanza for the big screen, and barely did anything until the old Trapper John character came back to life. Not to mention all the countless others who quit good paying roles on weekly T.V. shows for the bright lights of H'wood, rarely to be seen or heard from again. Tom Selleck is one of the few who made it, but he always came back to T.V. when movie roles were hard to come by (like Monica's boyfriend on Friends, and the fabulous Stone character in the Sheriff Stone movie series for CBS). Another guy who left a series was Christopher Meloni (Det. Stabler), from Law and Order: SVU, but he, too is doing fairly well in movies and returning occasionally for a made for TV movie, now and then. I can easily understand both of those fellows leaving because of becoming tired of the same character for 7 to 10 years, but DA has only been on for 3 years, and Matthew in only two of the three. Does anyone from across the pond know the reasons for their exits?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

O'Brien's leave was set up in the final episode of this season, she was seen talking to Lady Shrimpy (can't remember her name, she's Roses Mother...Lady S's maid tried to get O'Brien drunk, and O's final comment to said maid was something to the effect that all bets were off. With her nasty little secret about her part in Lady Cora's miscarriage about to be made public, I'm sure she was trying to cover her Irish arse....well done, Mr. Fellows! :lol: :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The actress who plays O'Brien isn't signing for the next series but they aren't writing out the character.

I was flicking through the TV mag and I came across an interview with Phyllis Logan who plays Mrs Hughes, I wouldn't have recognised her, she's so different away from Mrs Hughes's wig.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Arrgggh! The woman we love to hate...gone to steamier climes...

I love Phyllis Logan as Mrs. Hughes! What a down-to-earth lovable character. She would have done the right thing with "Her Ladyship's Soap." I do hope Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson have a little romance, perhaps at another fair?

They also made a formal announcement about Shirley Maclaine returning. I hope it's less gobsmacking this time, and more character driven dialogue instead of a quick-quipped Hannah.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor