Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's started then, any thoughts? I remember thinking the first episode was slow, it sets the scene, it gets far better.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought it was a lot of fun, I am not sure I liked Shirley MacLaine here, she was quite toned down though and even though she didn't really fit in, that was how she was supposed to be.

I was also quite shocked that they cut away from Mary and Edward's wedding and suddenly it was a month later! I was like, "HEY! You showed us Bates and Anna in bed together, now we get a chance to see Edward and Mary and you discreetly cut away? Not fair!" But we did get an intimate scene later, so that was nice. I liked Edith's hair and the range of twenties styles. I am in love with the greyish blue room with yellow and grey curtains. I can't remember what house it was in.

Loved the rift between Thomas and O'Brien.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jack: I kind of thought you were kidding but had to be sure.

Grand-mama had a couple of real corkers for lines where she had me actually laugh out loud, but naturally I can't recall what they were. I also loved the whispering about Shirley MacLaine between Mother and son as to when Shirley would be leaving.

I agree the first episode was a little slow but they had a lot to cover in it. I was wrong about Bates smashing Thomas against the wall, it was actually his cell-mate. I only saw the quick clip on one of the promos and since the guys face was all scrunched up with fear, it looked like Thomas to me. I certainly hope Thomas gets his sooner rather than later, after the dog and this week the evening coat, I hope the occasion arises for O'Brien to thrash him enough for the whole lower floor folk.

I thought the wedding was cut a little too short also, and it would have been nice to see something of the reception.

I understand Matthew's reasoning about the money, but since he is not denying it from anyone else, I think it was kind of dumb to alienate his future wife as he did.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Mathew is annoyingly conscience stricken, to my way of thinking. On the other hand, I like Sybil's hubby much more this year, but could they possibly give him a more attractive hairstyle? I am very tired of his long side bang. He did look splendid in morning coat or whatever it was he ended up wearing to the big event.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

HA! I loved that line! It still makes me laugh out loud.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The look on Lord Grantham's *sigh* face was hilarious. and the old boy is catching on to Thomas's evil ways. Why, when Grantham knew about Thomas's thievery (and KNAVERY), did he allow T to be his valet? must have missed that one...

Matthew is becoming a very...um...sexy....guy!
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, I could have used even more of the sexy banter between him and Mary.

Did you like Mary's wedding gown?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I can tell you "The Bride" didn't like the gown. I told her it was very 1920s. Everything in the details is so well done I'm sure it it correct.

Sybil's husband is bit too angry about putting on the morning coat for the wedding but I do like the way the ladies ignored his rant and put it on him anyway. He softened a bit as it went.

I do like Anna.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It did look very period. At first I was a little disappointed, but it grew on me. Mary's dresses were not particularly attractive this episode, I don't know if it was me or that they toned her down because she was married.... but I much preferred Sybil and especially Edith's costumes. Cora also looked smashing. Sybil's hair looked ravishing, long, short, it doesn't matter. I just hate her. :D

"She's so refined, I think I'll kill myself."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The dress was very 1920's, and in that perspective, it was lovely. I can't imagine Mary or Edith in anything frou-frou. If Sybil had had a Downton wedding, I'm sure lace and a soft ruffle here or there would have been seen. And BTW, I for one am very happy for Edith. I think she truly loves her fella, and it was outstanding of him to defend Tom, especially since he is so shy.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, I liked both he and Tom infinitely more this episode than I have in the past.
charliechaplinfan

I developed a liking more for Matthew and Tom and I even like Mary now. Sybil does look tremendous doesn't she and Cora too. I think I prefered the Edwardian especially on Cora and the 1920s suits Edith more. I'm trying to be careful with what I write, I can't go into details just in case I slip up. A shame about Mary's wedding I would have liked to have seen more.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We are different. I was happy they skipped most of the wedding. Unless there was going to be some drama in it I saw little point to keep us there. But I thought many of the lady viewers might be disappointed.

My darling daughter was grateful I recorded it for her but insisted on watching it last night. The same thing two nights in a row would have been too much for me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

My Chris can't stand it, he thinks it's dull and badly written, there's just no romance in him and I should know :wink: