Murray wins Wimbledon after 77-yr wait

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Murray wins Wimbledon after 77-yr wait

Post by stuart.uk »

Scot Andy Murray became the first British winner of the mens singles title at Wimbledon since the great Fred Perry in 1936

Though he won in 3 straight sets, it was an epic battle. The British media called it a 5 set victory in 3 sets, because of the lengthy, brutal rallies.

This follows a historic British Lions series win in Austraila at Rugby and Justin Rose winning at golfs U.S Open. And with England/Austraila cricketing ashes series to come it looks like another epicyr for British sport.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Murray wins Wimbledon after 77-yr wait

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Congratulations are in order for him ... Thanks for reporting this Stuart! :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a wonderful match is was Stuart, I think our neighbours could hear our cheers quite a way down the road, it being very nice weather, which made his win even more magical. I knew he'd do it this year, I couldn't be shaken from my insistence and Chris thought I'd jinx the poor guy but I didn't. Every year I've watched waiting for a British champ, it's the only annual sports event I watch.

Did you hear about the 7s? 77 years, 7th of the 7th? Numerologists had a field day with it I'm sure.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

If the SNP have their way regarding Independance Andy won't be considered British anymore and the 77-yr wait will be extended.

Did you notice the fuss made about Justin Rose winning golfs U.S Open since Tony Jacklin in 1970, even though Northern Irish players Graeme McDowell and Rory Mclroy previously won the event.

Here's hoping Laura Robson or a fit Heather Watson end the long wait for a British winner in the Ladies Singles now
charliechaplinfan

Do you think the SNP will have their way? Maybe I'm too English or too practical or am listening to the wrong news reports but do you really think when it comes down to it that Scotland will want to separate itself from the rest of the Union? It just feels like to me it's being done for patriotic reasons rather than sound economic and historic ones. I don't mean to sound dismissive Stuart, I understand part of what is driving the nationalists, I'm just curious for an insiders view.

As for Andy Murray, we'll still think of him as ours too, well I will at least.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

I can't see Scotland breaking away from the UK myself, I certainly hope not at anyrate. IMO there are to many holes in the SNPs arguement for Independance. I think we need the rest of the UK financially and for defense.

I also think in Joanne Lamont (Labour) and Ruth Davidson (Tory) we have two party leaders that are a match for Alec Salmond, though Ruth has her work cut out in trying to make the Torys a force in Scottish politics. Many blame Marageret Thatcher and the policies she inforced in Scotland, including the unpopular Poll Tax, for the party's demise.
charliechaplinfan

I think you have to go many generations to erase Thatcher's legacy in Scotland. I don't see independence as financially viable, it comes down to whether people are going to vote with their national pride or with the eye on economics. it's going to be a tangle deunifying ourselves if it happens.