David Frost has died

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

David Frost has died

Post by stuart.uk »

It's sad to report but broadcaster David Frost died last night of a heart attack.

David made his name in Satire shows That Was The Week That Was and The Frost Report. David in those shows also made stars of John Cleese (Mony Python and A Fish Called Wanda), The Two Ronnies and singer Millicent Martin (Alfie)

In the Frost Programe he famously exposed and destroyed insuarance fraudster Emil Savundra live on UK televison.

He also fronted a chat show in America interviewing stars like Joan Crawford. He also with Joe Frazier commented for American tv the Rumble In The Jungle fight between Mahammad Ali and George Forman. However, he's probably most famous for his interview with Richard Nixon.

David, Michael Parkinson, Angela Rippon, Anna Ford and Robert Key formed ITVs first Breakfast show TV.AM. Sadly the venture originally failed, slaughtered by the BBCs rival show, which resulted in all the stars exept for Frost leaving. TV.AM did stage a recovery with Frost On Sunday an important part of it's success.

After TV.AM lost its franchise, David did the much respected Breakfast With Frost for the BBC, interviewing not just key UK polititions, but also the likes of Bill Clinton and other global figures, as well as stars of stage, screen and sport. The show is now front by and called The Andrew Marr Show, which is almost a tribute to Frost in that the shows much the same.

David also interviewed double act Morcambe And Wise, in the duo's first comeback show after Eric Morcambe's 2nd massive heart attack with guests Glenda Jackson and Des O'Conner joining in
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: David Frost has died

Post by moira finnie »

David Frost (1939-2013) was very popular in the States while he hosted his talk show that mixed entertainment with political figures of the day in the late sixties, but in more recent years he was perhaps best known for his revelatory series of interviews with former president and psychologically quirky Richard Nixon in 1977. This had been turned into a celebrated play and film Nixon/Frost (2008-Ron Howard) with Frank Langella as Nixon & MIchael Sheen as Mr. Frost. The film received every critical accolade and was nominated/won awards in almost every category for numerous awards. These included many Oscar nominations.

I do remember from my girlhood that Frost had made waves when he and Diahann Carroll became engaged for a time. The controversy surrounding that private choice now seems terribly quaint now (thank goodness). I see from the obituary that Frost had been preparing to give a speech on the QE2 when he had a sudden heart attack. More here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/world ... ml?hp&_r=0
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This was a real shock to read about. He was only on the television a few weeks ago and he had so much in the pipeline. He's gone before his time and he was truly an icon.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

It's ironic that just a few days before David Frost's death, former Ryder cup winning Captain Bernard Gallager, the father of presenter Kirsty Gallagher had a heart attack either just before or during a speech he was to give in Aberdeeen. David himself was due to give a speech on an ocean liner, before his fatal heart attack. The last I heard was Bernard was still crtical. He was a boyhood hero of mine and was one of the best golfers in Europe, but that was at a time when American's didn't take European golf seriously. Seve came later and changed that........................Bernard was also a successul player in the Ryder Cup, playing in his first one aged 20, when the then British and Irish (without Europeans) halved the match with the mighty Amercians in 1969. I also think he was one of the great Captains, winning at his 3rd attempt on American soil
tinker

Post by tinker »

As part of a tribute they showed a very long hour and ahalf interview Frost did with Michael Parkinson quite recently. There were many clps in it, including Nixon and Nelson Mandela and Robert Kennedy.

Amazing stuff showing Mandela and Kennedy giving a straight answer to an honest question. Would not happen now.

Also in the case of would not happen now, was several interviews where Frost called people out when they lied or "spun".

Nowdays people tell a porkie and sit there smugly and the interviewers never challange them. Not Frost.

He knew what he was doing. Curiously in the interview with Parkinson, both men wore dark suits, traditional interview wear but FRost was wearing bright red socks which totally distracted you from Parkinson :):):)

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)