BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Downton has started again, I'm not going to give any plot lines away but it's that time of year again.

I haven't managed to watch films but I have found time to watch 4 series of Mad Men and 2 series of Homeland. I love Homeland, I love Damian Lewis :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Good to see you here Ali. I have missed you a lot. Here in Chile people are anxious to see the new Season, but I bet we'll have to wait until March, unless one buys the DVD/BRay previously from the UK.

The other day I saw a very fine BBC adaptation of "Persuasion" (2007), not as perfect as the film starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds, but well done and engrossing in its own particular way. The setting is always perfect at BBC :wink:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

feaito wrote:Good to see you here Ali. I have missed you a lot. Here in Chile people are anxious to see the new Season, but I bet we'll have to wait until March, unless one buys the DVD/BRay previously from the UK.

The other day I saw a very fine BBC adaptation of "Persuasion" (2007), not as perfect as the film starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds, but well done and engrossing in its own particular way. The setting is always perfect at BBC :wink:
Funny you should mention Persuasion...which is, to me, THE perfect film...it's the movie I will watch at least two times a year, and be caught up in the beauty and romance of it every time. Who is in the BBC version?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Knitty!

For my sister, who's a big fan of Jane Austen, her books and the respective film/series adaptations, "Persuasion" (1995) is bar-none the most perfect film adaptation of all Austen's works. She also thinks that the BBC's series of "Pride and Prejudice" with Jennifer Ehle & Colin Firth is the most perfect serial adaptation of all her books.

In the 2007 BBC adaptation Sally Hawkins plays Anne Elliot and Rupert Penry-Jones Captain Wentworth.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm with your sister! :D

Very curious about the 2007 version of Persuasion.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I'm with your sister! :D

Very curious about the 2007 version of Persuasion.
She created a page -in Spanish- on FB to honor Ms. Austen...more than a fan, she's a devotee....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi, Nando! I totally agree about both films, Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle, Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds ARE the characters they portray. When I read the books, they are the ones moving across the pages.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Me too, I've never watched any other version of Persuasion and I don't think I will ever watch any other version of P & P. I've never watched any other version of Jane Eyre than the Timothy Dalton/ Zelah Clarke version from the early 80s, they are Jane and Rochester.

I'm currently watching Little Dorrit another BBC production. As much as I'm a fan of movies when it comes to book adaptations most of them are better told as serials, especially when they are given a good budget and a stellar cast.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your feedback Nancy & Ali.

Ali. I saw BBC's Little Dorrit miniseries last year and I was completely hooked by it.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I agree The Hinds/Root version of PERSUASION is perfect. I can vaguely recall an earlier version from Granada Television in 1971, with Ann Firbank and Bryan Marshall.
And the BBC first filmed Persuasion in 1960, with Paul Daneman and Daphne Slater, but that version is probably gone forever.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have most of the Jane Austen miniseries and movies, but I agree that those two versions are the best, plus the Timothy Dalton Jane Eyre. I haven't seen Little Dorrit yet, I've always managed to miss it when it's been on.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wen, Have you seen the BBC series of Bleak House with Gillian Anderson? Loved it. Masterful.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, I thought it was incredibly good, the best thing I've seen on Masterpiece Theatre in years. I really enjoyed it.
charliechaplinfan

Bleak House was masterful, it made me reappraise Gillian Anderson as an actress, she was wonderful.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, she was very fine in Bleak House. Does anyone know if she lives in England now? I only see her on British productions lately. I am pretty sure she is Canadian.

I didn't like her performance in Great Expectations, though I give her an A for effort for trying something radically different with her characterization. Her voice characterization was a good choice, but to my mind, it simply didn't work.