BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:It'll come to the point when there will be no shocking the young anymore.
I think we went past that point awhile ago in society, though your children sound fairly unsullied by the world's ghastly taste for the most part. Can't you just turn those junkie programs off?

I can't say I'd wear any of these tee shirts either, but Edith seemed to be pretty mean-spirited at times, though I realize it was partly due to her neglect. The previews make it look as though Edith and the older guy with the bad arm might strike sparks this season. Nod your head if this is true, will ya, Alison?

Has anyone seen Land Girls, a British series being shown on PBS here about a group of English girls who were enlisted in/shanghaied into working on farms during WWII? I am not enchanted with the characterizations (esp. of Americans) or the acting, though I do like some characters, and the countryside is lovely.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't seen it, they keep moving shows like that around timewise on the CT stations, so I can never find the BBC dramas or Masterpiece anymore. Some months go by without any Brit dramas, I don't think they are in high demand anymore unless they star Maggie Smith or Gillian Anderson. They make a big deal of advertising Downton, but the other shows zip in under the radar.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The local Washington PBS station has turned their second station into a UK channel. Everything is British. The one thing I haven't figured is how they list "Foyle's War" in a 60 minute slot. I haven't seen far enough out to see if part 2 is the following week. Even at that it's nice to have all those other British productions handy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Maybe Edith will strike a few sparks, you'll have to wait and see.

As for the junk programmes, I do turn them off, frequently only hubby will watch the Man Versus Food, I don't even like the kids watching the Simpsons and it's not because i don't think it's funny but it's somewhat irreverent and adult but as Dad likes it they watch together and as he says the cartoons we watched as kids were violent and it didn't do us any harm . They come on when they're a gap in kids programmes which I'm fine with because they're vetted but some of the repeat channels have no decency or thought that kids are not in bed and can see this stuff. Heavens, last night, I was checking on my washing and Joe, the little so and so had snuck downstairs at 8 o'clock to ask me something and a programme comes on about the Charles Manson murders on a regular channel, his Dad had gone out or would have switched it off straight away, first thing they show is the bloodstained scene. It makes my blood boil, he'd switched the TV on and it came on at the last channel watched which had been on for the news, he'd only seen 30 seconds but then we have to go through the questions and the whys. No one cares anymore about what kids can see, apart from every parent I talk to.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's such a horrifying scenario, Alison!

Every parent I know has a story like that, and we can't always keep them away or watching something appropriate, though in our house it's very controlled. There used to be rules about it for tv stations, not during normal viewing hours, only late at night, but they have been thrown out the window. I think it's bad enough to have the shows with sexual jokes on at 8 o'clock now. Another thing I find distasteful is the commercials that appear even the children's stations, for creepy movies where blood is dripping off walls or someone is screaming in horror... really? That 6 year old is going to want to rush out and see SAW IV? Or her mom is going to be excited that Resident Evil is coming, in between episodes of Dora the Explorer? PLEASE.
charliechaplinfan

I know, there are meant to be rules here, the BBC are best at obeying them because they're paid for by the tax payer but even they can get it wrong. The rules have been stretched, that's for sure and I'm strict with the TV, we don't really watch until after dinner. The internet is another minefield that I don't even want to think about.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

OMG a death has happened in Downton and it's both moving and shocking.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!dont tell, don't tell!!!!!!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Eeeeeeek!!!!!!dont tell, don't tell!!!!!!!!!!
Whaaaat? Who can it be?

Thomas?
O'Brien?
Or someone I like?

Upstairs or Downstairs? :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

There was no secret here that in the course of the series someone would die. Don't try to find the answer on the net, I'm sure it's out there, I want it to be as big a surprise to you as it was to me and it was a big surprise. It's going to create some interesting storylines that's for sure. But I'm not saying anymore :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

charliechaplinfan

Are you all guessing? Mad that I won't give you a clue? Think of me I've got to wait to discuss it with you and I'm dying to discuss it people who appreciate Downton.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm literally plugging my ears and hoping no one on TV lets it slip...I hate to know these things in advance so I will be standing in the corner hiding from any unexpected details until the show comes on here!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Who's going to remind Stuart not to blab?????? This is killing me, we have to wait for 3 months before we see it....ARRGH!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Who's going to remind Stuart not to blab?????? This is killing me, we have to wait for 3 months before we see it....ARRGH!!!!!
While you're waiting, has anyone checked out Call the Midwife on PBS? My PBS station has had the begging bowl out for such a long time that their schedule is messed up so that they can bring the world "Doo Wop--The History of American Acapella Singing" or some such thing, so I am trying to catch some of the shows about midwives in East London in the 1950s online at the link below. Is it worth the time? I've only seen about 15 minutes so far and it seems pretty good.
http://www.pbs.org/programs/call-the-midwife/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks