BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the heads up about Love for Lydia on Netflix, JF. It sounds great, especially after you mentioned that Beatrix Lehmann was in the dream cast. I became intrigued with this different actress after watching The Passing of the Third Floor Back (1935). Though she was not terribly well known outside of the English stage then, she actually held her own in scenes with Conrad Veidt.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wendy:

Re: Boring viewing.

This brings up a question about sticking with a miniseries. Obviously, this has some value because you stuck with it. At what point do you give up on something. My case -

Recently I tried to get through "Smiley's People." Being a fan of Alec Guinness I thought I'd give this three disc series a go. Oh my! I gave up half way through. It started out promising enough but it didn't take too long before I had no idea how they got where they were. And then as it went along they were bringing up things from the past that seemed to have little to do with the story and ........ (Oh, this was six parts and at the end of the third part I was done.) Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk.

Any BBC/Thames/Granada/ production you quit watching?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

One of the sad things about The Love Of Lydia was the early death of Christopher Blake at 55. He played Mollie Sugden's son in the sit com That's My Boy

I remember Mel Martin in a special Only Fools And Horses episode Fatal Extraction. It was a spoof of Fatal Attraction with Mel in the Glenn Close role, this time as a dental assistant with the hots for David Jason's Del Boy Trotter
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks for the heads up about Love for Lydia on Netflix, JF. It sounds great, especially after you mentioned that Beatrix Lehmann was in the dream cast. I became intrigued with this different actress after watching The Passing of the Third Floor Back (1935). Though she was not terribly well known outside of the English stage then, she actually held her own in scenes with Conrad Veidt.
Oh geez, thanks for reminding me of this movie = I had it bookmarked and then I had a computer meltdown and lost the link. Now I really have to go back and watch it. Lehmann and Kempson really show the youngsters how it's done in Love for Lydia, they are both magnificent.
Beatrix Lehmann didn't do many films, but she is very good in the truly odd film Psyche 59 as the less than loving mother of Patricia Neal and Samantha Eggar.
I'll also plug kingrat's Psyche 59 - Lehmann is superb in it as well...boy is she a piece of work!it's even tougher to watch than LFL... lol. I did actually enjoy it by the end. It's fascinating.
Wendy:

Re: Boring viewing.

This brings up a question about sticking with a miniseries. Obviously, this has some value because you stuck with it. At what point do you give up on something. My case -

Recently I tried to get through "Smiley's People." Being a fan of Alec Guinness I thought I'd give this three disc series a go. Oh my! I gave up half way through. It started out promising enough but it didn't take too long before I had no idea how they got where they were. And then as it went along they were bringing up things from the past that seemed to have little to do with the story and ........ (Oh, this was six parts and at the end of the third part I was done.) Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk.

Any BBC/Thames/Granada/ production you quit watching?
I can't think of one that I haven't enjoyed, but I'm sure there is something out there that bored me to tears. I haven't tried the Smiley movies, I think because I fear they will be as you suggest. :D Many things I will turn off in the first five minutes. If there is no humor, I have a hard time. I don't do well with spy stories, unless it's Our Man in Havana, or with ultra serious dark 1960's Dirk Bogard-ey movies, unless I'm in the mood to torture myself, which I am occasionally.

I have stayed away from Foyle, but now I realize that it has Michael Kitchen in it, I am making a beeline for it....Knitty!. :D

I did have trouble with The Flame Trees of Thika, I just stopped watching, but maybe that was due to youth and an overriding interest in all things British, rather than African.

I was frustrated with the recent Forsyte Saga remake, I am too fond of the original - I did watch though because I was compelled by Damian Lewis. He was marvelous. :D
One of the sad things about The Love Of Lydia was the early death of Christopher Blake at 55. He played Mollie Sugden's son in the sit com That's My Boy

I remember Mel Martin in a special Only Fools And Horses episode Fatal Extraction. It was a spoof of Fatal Attraction with Mel in the Glenn Close role, this time as a dental assistant with the hots for David Jason's Del Boy Trotter
That's a shame about Christopher Blake. He seems always youthful in my mind.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

I loved the Forsythe Saga remake. My favourite character was June and loved the fact she was the 1st of 3 generationsof siblings. Her relationship with her much younger step brother, I reckon she was in her 50s and him 21, was great viewing.

I wish I could remember June from the original, as played by June Barry and wonder if she was a modern day woman as was played in the remake. I seem to remember Miss. Barry as made up to look middle aged in the 1920s, but in the remake June had a bob hair-do and rode motorbikes
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

kingrat wrote:Movieman, Smiley's People was a sequel to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, so it probably didn't make much sense if you hadn't seen TTSS, which was great. Mel Martin was in that, too, along with Alec Guinness, Ian Richardson, Beryl Reid, and many other gifted folks.
I did but it has been nearly four years. Maybe if I had found them and watched them closer together it might have been different. Maybe someday I will.

Wendy:

"Foyle's War" would be well worth your time. The Bride and I highly recommend it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OK, Stuart, I agree, June in the original is a bit much, her character was much better in the newer series.

I'll check out Foyles War, on that recommendation, Chris. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, after you watch Foyles' War, I'll bet you are a dues paying member of the Michael *sigh* Kitchen fan club :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sure I will be! He's already my favorite guy in Enchanted April (Well, really, out of those men, of COURSE he's my favorite).
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Isn't Enchanted April wonderful??? and he IS the best one in the movie...besides Joan Plowright, who changes before your eyes. And Jim Broadbent has really grown on me, after seeing some of his other work. And Alfred Molina. And Miranda Richardson. and Josie Lawrence. and Polly Walker......and that VILLA!!!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I love all the actors - but the other male characters are repulsive. Mr. Briggs is the kind of guy you want to just snuggle up to. Or ruffle up by taking his glasses, a la Cyd Charisse.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

To quote a friend 8) 8) : HA!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

To help my fellow Downton Abbey fans as we await the unfurling of the 2nd season on Jan. 8th, 2012 here in the States, this article was in the New York Times in the last few days:

Behind the Scenes With the Creator of ‘Downton Abbey’
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks