BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
knitwit45

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by knitwit45 »

I forgot to mention that Honeysuckle Weeks (Samantha) will be joining our intrepid Inspector.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey that's great news! I just finally watched the first series and then went right on into the second. Hastings is quite the happening town! You'd think it was a mecca for corruption and murder...

The very first episode of the first series had me scratching my head. I could not get into it at all. But the second one, oh lordy, I just loved it. It's my favorite so far.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Great news for "Foyle's War>" I've started watching them again. One of the discs had an interview with Honeysuckle and she thought there would have been a good series following "Sam" after the war. I don't doubt it.

Michael Kitchen is the epitome of understatement. He can gentle and ruthless at the same time.

If you're looking for something else interesting to watch Kitchen in check out "House of Cards: To Play The King." It is the second series of "House of Cards." It starred Ian Richardson as one of the most charmingly evil people I have come across in TV. He is a Member of Parliament working his way up to be Prime Minister. In the series with Kitchen, Michael plays the King of England. I'm sure I must have mentioned back in this thread.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I did manage to stay up to watch Downton only to be a little let down, perhaps it was overhyped and it was laying the foundations for the series, it's still great but I didn't get the feeling that I can't wait for the next show.

More good news from the BBC is that they are making a series based on zola's Au Bonheur Des Dames or The Ladies Delight set in a department store in 1880s Paris, I loved the book and it's already been filmed as a silent with a very distinct look to it, I'm really looking forward to this one.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OOh, I hope we get that one over here, Alison! I remember you talking about it.

I don't know how Downton could possibly top the last two seasons. What would be kind of cool would be to a younger generation come up, as they go through the 1920's... so we can have the series run longer. They'll have to, if they keep up the breakneck pace they have started.

House of Cards is fantastic, and would be a good choice to watch again during this election season. :D

As for Foyle's War, I think one of the best things about it is the way it brings out the main characters so gently and slowly. You get to know them as you would real people, just a little at a time, with the slightest weight given to their problems.
charliechaplinfan

I think you hit the nail on the head, the pace set previously has been quick. It might have been a bit of a let down but I do think it's ultimately setting up threads (which I could see but won't comment on) also there has been much released in our press about the storylines that killed some of the suspense.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I've watched 2 more episodes of Downton, it's picked up since the first one which I think was laying the foundations, it's easy viewing with twists and turns, I love the 1920s period costumes, although I loved the earlier costumes too. It's worth waiting for :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your feedback Alison. My wife and I are waiting for the UK B-Ray release of Season 3 in November.
charliechaplinfan

So soon, I don't know how many episodes there are but I presume they will release it just as all the episodes have been shown. I don't watch much TV these days but I do like to tune in for Downton.

A question for my American buddies, do you know the show 'Man Versus Food'? it's on one of the endless repeat channels here and Joe's often watching it. It sheer abuse of the human body, some of those dishes are humungous, I'm quite lost for words at some of the food I've seen.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't stand that show, my hubby watches and I just want to run when it's on. I really don't understand the draw of shows about food that don't include recipes or maybe travel. Even then, I can't imagine how anyone could watch these shows without wanting to eat huge amounts of food. I pretty much stay away from them.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't think any of us is the t-shirt logo type, but I just saw these in an ad and thought I would post them here. I don't know whether to laugh or be sick at the commercialization. I think I'll choose to laugh! My favorite is the Keep Calm tee.

http://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cg ... +&submit=+
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I don't think any of us is the t-shirt logo type, but I just saw these in an ad and thought I would post them here. I don't know whether to laugh or be sick at the commercialization. I think I'll choose to laugh! My favorite is the Keep Calm tee.

http://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cg ... +&submit=+
Do you really think anyone would want to wear a T shirt emblazoned with "I'm an Edith"? Funny, there's no tees for Thomas or O'Brien either. :roll:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hahahaha! "I'm an O'Brien"...yeah right... like anyone would admit to it.... :D

it'll be sad when they have all those overstock Edith tees all sent off to the Job Lot stores.
charliechaplinfan

You mean no one is an Edith fan? I can't say I'm Mary's fan either, Sybil perhaps but I wish they'd have built her up more. I'm more of a Violet fan myself but really, do people wear these things?

Man Versus Food, it is just plain silly, even though my hubby kind of watches them, it's not really food is it? it's certainly not an advertisement for American cuisine, the last one I saw was 2 slices of bread covered with a pound of sliced meat, with another 2 slices with a different type of sliced meat on top and it went on for 6 layers, it would have fed my family of 4 for a couple of days, there's no skill.

These programmes along with How Clean is Your House? and Supersize versus Superskinny are my kids favourite naughty programmes, naughty because there's hardly any value in them, there might be a little value in the supersize programme because it talks about the problems of overeating/undereating. The kids love them because they talk about extremes. It'll come to the point when there will be no shocking the young anymore.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I do like Edith! But I am not sure anyone would want to say they were like her. I suppose if you were having a Downton Party to sit and watch with friends you could wear them, or maybe a sleepover? :D