Time's - 100 Top TV Shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Time's - 100 Top TV Shows

Post by movieman1957 »

Some guy at Time magazine put this list together. I'm only part way through it but "Beavis and Butthead"? Other than that it seems to be a rather broad collection.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/ ... 41,00.html
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Moraldo Rubini

Beavis and Molly

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Would anyone mind if I removed Beavis and Butthead and replaced it with The Life and Times of Molly Dodds? I wish there were a way to add Captain Kangaroo, just 'cause it helped millions of children to get up in the morning for so many years.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Hard to believe they left out Cagney & Lacey, which I believe made history as the first TV show to be brought back after cancellation by fan protest....and went on to win several awards and be a huge success.

Especially since stuff like Bevis & Butthead and Felicity made the list.

Also hard to believe that only the 'original' Star Trek made the list. They should have AT LEAST included Star Trek: The Next Generation.

They also left off L.A. Law, which was a HUGE hit in it's time and was on for several seasons.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
benwhowell

The Magic Drawing Board

Post by benwhowell »

I watched "Captain Kangaroo" in high school! I loved Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose, Grandfather Clock, Mr. Green Jeans, et al. I also loved all the cool animated shorts. It was a treat to have Captain Kangaroo read to me in the morning. I've never really had a "hero" in my life, but Fred Rogers and Bob Keeshan come pretty close...
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Wasn't that show called "The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd"?

Here is another voice in favor of "Captain Kangaroo." It was a wonderful show, and I still remember songs and stories from that show. It tipped me off to books like "Mike Mulligan and His Steamshovel" and "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Big Bridge" and "Hercules," (about a horse-drawn fire engine) that I read to my children years later. But somehow, people seem to have amnesia about the Captain. "Sesame Street" and "Mr. Rogers" get all the praise, perhaps because they were not on commercial TV.

On the whole, however, I thought that the list was pretty reasonable.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well i'm happy my fave show DALLAS is on the list :)
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

"Lost" is so incredibly overrated. I watched the first season and then gave up when the second season went nowhere.

I don't really think reality shows should be on that list either. I'll admit that I used to watch Survivor and American Idol, but I don't think you can compare them with great shows like "The Odd Couple" or "All in the Family". It's a very mixed bag. Can you compare "The Price is Right" with "Alfred Hitchcock Presents"? Like apples and oranges.

But I'm very happy to see The Monkees and especially Arrested Development on that list. I absolutely loved that show.

I take little stock in Time magazine lists. They once allowed internet votes for the most influental person of the year and #3 was Sanjaya from American Idol.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

sugarpuss wrote:
I take little stock in Time magazine lists. They once allowed internet votes for the most influental person of the year and #3 was Sanjaya from American Idol.
That doesn't surprise me but you can make a case that he was influential in terms of showing how pop culture has turned into an even more fad driven culture then ever before. It's also a testament to how word of mouth can spread. I believe Howard Stern encouraged his audience to vote for Sanjaya every week and lo and behold people who listened to Stern talked about it with others and Sanjaya mania swept into the conciousness of the mainstream even appearing on Larry King a couple of times.

I would have him on my list but nowhere near the top 5 tho.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well, thank God I don't watch television much......

To me, some of these shows were crap and not worth the time of day.

Now: - - where's Frasier, Murphy Brown, Rescue Me and Boomtown???...

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Any kind of list - music, movie, TV show, etc. is only as valid as the person who makes it up. When I make up a shopping list, it consists of meat, fruit, vegetables, non fat items, brown rice, etc. Someone else may list candy, cookies, frosted cereals, potatoes, butter etc. It's all in what ones personal tastes are. On this list instead of Beavis & Butthead, to stay in the cartoon genre, I may enter Mighty Mouse. Rather than American Idol, I would go with the Dick Clark Show, or American Bandstand.

'Best' lists are only best to the creator. This person may never have seen a Sid Caesar Show of Shows, or an Ed Sullivan Show, or any of the other fine variety shows that once ruled the airwaves, therefore thinks that American Idol is a good example of varietal entertainment. How often do we disagree on what comprises a great movie? I think Casablanca is one of the top three movies ever made, yet someone else would say it doesn't even belong on a list of great movies. These are the reasons I watch the oscar performance to see the dresses and hair styles, I could care less who wins because it only depends on who spent more money on ads and perks, certainly not the performance. I have to believe that, otherwise I would go crazy knowing that song about the pimp won a couple of years ago.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Well, if the list left off Captain Kangaroo, I don't even want to read it.

Until my Mom had her coffee in the morning, it was me, the cat, the Captain
and his "crew."

I loved Mr. Moose and Grandfather Clock. That was the first time anyone ever read "Stone Soup" to me. Bunny Rabbit always made me laugh. He had a sort of "Howard McNear" stare where he would kind of wait for a laugh.
Mr. Moose did that, too.

But programs like Lost and American Idol just remind me of Sybil the Soothsayer type-programming written about by Paddy Chayefsky in Network.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Nice to see The Prisoner acknowledged in any context, but disappointing to find no Green Acres.