Hollow Triumph (aka The Scar) (1948)

moira finnie
Administrator

Hollow Triumph (aka The Scar) (1948)

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, what a great little noir!!
This movie featured the best black and white cinematography of John Alton that I've ever seen, with a blend of moody hyper-realism and romanticism that belies the relatively modest budget of this movie. If you watch this movie without the sound, it is particularly interesting to note the composition, dramatic lighting and, believe it or not, beautiful visual romantic aura created by Alton for this occasionally grisly story. Btw, between He Walked By Night and this movie, my quota for self-administered medical procedures as entertainment has been filled for some time.

Daniel Fuchs' script is engaging, witty (watch for those well-placed signs that appear in certain key parts of the movie) and full of nice contrasts between the criminal world and the oh, so stultifying straight world, (at least in the world created in this movie, it made it seem as though anyone who wasn't a bit of a criminal was a dullard. See the amusing performance of John Qualen as a dentist for evidence of this approach).
Paul Henreid, who plays a dual role, gives what may be the man's most complex performance as a guy who thinks he has all the answers. It's as though Victor Lazlo and Jerry Durrance wised up, ditched their ideals and their girls and bent all that fine breeding and brains to what has been called "a left-handed form of human endeavor"--crime with a capital C. No small potatoes for this guy, he's going to go out of this world big...he thinks.

A sympathetic Joan Bennett is at her loveliest in this movie, delivering the best, rueful line in the movie, "It's a bitter little world full of sad surprises, and you don't let anyone hurt you."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It's coming on again late tonight I believe.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

What I marvel at is that in 1948 at a Poverty Row studio, Eagle-Lion, John Alton was cinematographer for five films:

CANON CITY (unfortunately, I haven't found this)
THE SPIRITUALIST aka THE AMAZING MR. X (a Dewey fave)
RAW DEAL
HE WALKED BY NIGHT
HOLLOW TRIUMPH aka THE SCAR

That is an incredible year for the master of light. As Alton once said, “It’s not what you light – it’s what you DON’T light.” At least in the four movies that I've seen from him that year, he met his ideal. And, as Orson Welles contended, if every film has an auteur – sometimes it is the director, an actor, the screenwriter, or the cinematographer -- then John Alton arguably was the auteur of 1948.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Arkadin,
You are correct. Hollow Triumph rises once more at 2am EDT early Sunday morning (10/05/08). I hope you'll post about it if you get to see it.

Oh, ChiO,
Canon City (1948) used to be broadcast all the time when I was a kid.
It has scads of doomed atmosphere, with very good, memorable performances from Scott Brady and Jeff Corey, and, as I recall, a lot of violent action that is never cartoonish, (it all looked like it hurt). It was truly a semi-documentary style crime film, based on a wholesale jailbreak from the actual Canon City Colorado State Pen around Christmas in 1947. The film even features the actual warden, one Roy Best among the cast and a sequence in a nearby gorge that was quite vividly done.

I particularly remember the evocative way that the film conveyed the tomb-like cage of the prison environs, the cold, rural atmosphere of the countryside around it and the feeling of desperation of the people that the escaped convicts encountered and the escapees themselves. They were like injured animals caught in a terrible trap. Oh yes, and a certain Mr. Bissell and DeForest Kelley shows up in this as well. Most memorable among the civilians: Mabel Paige as a worried mother (with good reason). Why isn't this on dvd?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

John Alton cinematography! Whit Bissell and DeForest Kelley! Filmed With the Naked Fury of Fact!

Oh, Moira, I need to see CANON CITY now!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles