Noir Films

ChiO

Re: Noir Films

Post by ChiO »

KISS ME, DEADLY (1955) and D.O.A. (1950) immediately come to mind. And, with a stretch, SHACK OUT ON 101 (1955) and SHADOW OF TERROR (1945), and, with more of a stretch (substitute the plague for radioactivity), PANIC IN THE STREETS (1950).

And never forget that radioactive stuff that made Grant Williams shrink incredibly in 1957.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'd love to see SHACK OUT ON 101. I've never had access to it. And thanks for mentioning my favorite fantasy. The conditions of my parole prohibit me from directly referring to that much lauded (by me, if no one else) Jack Arnold classic. Can you imagine if somebody had won an award for that movie? "I'd like to thank all the little people!"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

oh you devil! You made me spit my drink...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RedRiver wrote:...The conditions of my parole prohibit me from directly referring to that much lauded (by me, if no one else) Jack Arnold classic. Can you imagine if somebody had won an award for that movie? "I'd like to thank all the little people!"
...And then there's the shrinkage factor. ( See George Costanza. ) :shock:

Don't worry about putting back on that ankle bracelet re your parole, Red. I like Jack Arnold: "It Came From 0uter Space" "Creature From the Black Lagoon" "Tarantula" and "The Tattered Dress."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL!...and a bunch of Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch episodes. In baseball terms, that's Mamie Van Doren to Tina Louise to Ann B. Davis.
...And then there's the shrinkage factor.
One of the greatest accomplishments of that great show was to educate the female of the species about The Curse of the Shrinkage Factor (is Jack Arnold available to direct?).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ChiO wrote:And HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL!...and a bunch of Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch episodes. In baseball terms, that's Mamie Van Doren to Tina Louise to Ann B. Davis.
I thought it was more like "Laramie" to "Adventures in Paradise" to "Leave It to Beaver" and then to "Destry." You know, from Robert Fuller to Gardner McKay to Tony Dow and then slide into John Gavin. :shock:

...And then there's the shrinkage factor.
One of the greatest accomplishments of that great show was to educate the female of the species about The Curse of the Shrinkage Factor (is Jack Arnold available to direct?).
Jack's long gone from these shores, I'm afraid. Quentin Tarantino???

Well Chi0 started it!

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

One of the greatest accomplishments of that great show was to educate the female of the species about The Curse of the Shrinkage Factor

We're even. Men now know the concept of "sponge-worthy"!

HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL? I haven't seen that. I'd forgotten it was a Jack Arnold project. The terms of my parole are not restricted to the story about the guy who gets really little. I'm also forbidden to return to the subject of giant ants terrorizing James Whitmore. Another favorite I've said too much about. And if you hear me say something about Robert Mitchum and a certain North Carolina coastal location, please don't report me. That's a direct violation!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RedRiver wrote:We're even. Men now know the concept of "sponge-worthy"!

To quote Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate" - "ELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINE!!"

( P. S. I loved her boyfriend, Putty. )

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Apparently, that actor has become somewhat of a TV star. He's in a sitcom called RULES OF ENGAGEMENT; not real good, but watchable. And I've heard his voice in more adult cartoons than I can count. At least, I assume that's him. If it's not, he has a "soundalike"!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

for CineMava:

Lizabeth Scott

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Whoa!!! Thank Youuuuuuu Miss G. That's quite a look Lizabeth has there.

And again, another score with your avatar! The King!!! You always pick just the right look for your movie stars. Nice.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you! :D
It was such an unusual photo of Lizabeth, I just had to post it right away!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Magnificent Photo of Lizabeth Scott that I never ever seen of her ... so striking and so stunning too.

Thanks for posting it Miss Goddess!

:) :) :)
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

And how!