Noir Films

RedRiver

Re: Noir Films

Post by RedRiver »

Maybe I'm showing off my ignorance, but... Why is it dumb? It would have changed the story, sure. But Raft just wanted to be liked.

You're not ignorant, Ingenue. But as you say, it would negate the whole story. There would be no reason to make the movie. The format of the film is "how they commit the crime and (almost) get away with it."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Even though I own the DVD, DOUBLE INDEMNITY is one of those few films I'll watch every time it's broadcast

Why do we do this, Western Guy? Is it simply that the movie is so good? Or do we take pleasure in sharing it with the rest of the TV audience? You own a copy. It's not as if you've been waiting for a showing. I watch the Universal horror classics (and not so classics) on Svengoolie's program when I could pick them up at the library anytime. But that's not the point. I think we enjoy being part of the process. A handful of viewers around the country will enjoy this movie. And by God, I'll be one of them!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like that feeling of connectedness. That's part of the fun of TCM.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

R.R., in my case it's the acting. First off, I'll watch ANYTHING that Eddie Robinson appears in. The man was an acting genius. I still argue with his granddaughter Francesca that he was great fun as Dathan in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (she thinks otherwise, calling it his worst screen performance). Secondly, as a huge fan of "Columbo", I LOVE murder mysteries where someone tries to pull off the perfect crime yet step-by-step sees the plan start to crumble through the dogged persistenceness of a determined investigator. It works so well in DOUBLE INDEMNITY since there`s that one point in the story where Neff believes Keyes is inadvertently working on his behalf, then is startled to discover that in almost the next instance Keyes suspects the Dietrich death is actually a murder. Of course things start to fall apart from there. Such great fun to watch. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE is a close second.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Howdunnits are much better than whodunnits, WG. :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree 100%, Wendy. Much prefer "Columbo" to Agatha Christie for just that very reason. It's the gradual cornering of the suspect who we watch committing the so-called "perfect murder" rather than trying to determine the identity of the guilty party among a gallery of potential suspects. At least that's my preference.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As a book, I like "Postman" a little better than "Indemnity." It's a little cleaner, more pointed. In the movies, it's the other way around!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Which would you recommend reading first, red?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Having recently read both in a James Cain collection, I'd have to agree with you, R.R. In fact, I really didn't much care for DOUBLE INDEMNITY as a book. The ending in particular I found disappointing.

BTW: LOVE your avatar, Wendy.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, WG! I love They Live By Night, it's a special movie, isn't it?

Would you suggest bypassing Double Indemnity for Postman? (I mean in book form)
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Oh yeah, Wendy. Although many have a preference for GUN CRAZY, I much prefer THEY LIVE BY NIGHT. Plus you have that great supporting cast of Howard and J.C. Gosh, Cathy O'Donnell just shines of that sad sweetness so evident in your avatar. Makes one want to just reach out and give her a comforting hug.

I would not say you should bypass the novel "Double Imdemnity" (after all, definitely make your own judgment call), it's just that I personally prefer "The Postman Always Rings Twice" of the two. You, of course, might choose otherwise. Will be curious to hear your comments.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll let you know how I like them. If I can't get it for free at the library, I'll check my kindle. If it costs money, well then.... it may be a while! :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the books from the library, Wendy. Heck, I live in Winnipeg and that's where I obtained my library copies -- and believe me, there ain't much available here. Anyhoo, good luck and let me know.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's easier to find a 1940's book at my small town library than it is to find a new bio or a movie book, that's for sure. I think they've got every 1940's author there, probably donated by someone with a taste for popular and romantic fiction. I swear they have every Rachel Field, Daphne Du Maurier and Olive Higgins Prouty book ever written. Good for me! Also a lot of Thornton Wilder. I like it too, because they are all older books, somehow they just have a history that the kindle can't ever give you. I like thinking about who owned the book in the first place, and how many people had actually read that particular copy.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

For the most part, Wendy: Ditto. The recent Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, Boris Karloff bios, for example, are not to be found here.