Noir Films

CineMaven

Re: Noir Films

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]FEAITO[/color][/u] wrote:"Phantom Lady" (1944), where had you been all my life???? What a great Siodmak film and grand discovery! Ella Raines, you've risen to the top list of my favorite '40s leading ladies! What an incredibly beautiful, attractive and talented woman, impersonating a no-nonsense gal who'll do anything to prove her loved one's innocence, thus saving him from the electric chair...
Well well...welcome to the Club. There are a couple of Ella Raines fans here. I thought she was wonderful! The brunette with the widow's peak, pageboy hairdo and alto voice who played 'em smart and confident. I've seen a bunch of her films: "Cry 'Havoc!'" "Hail The Conquering Hero" "Tall In the Saddle" "Impact" "The Suspect" "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry" "Brute Force" though she only has a very very small role in "Brute Force." A couple of trailers and snippets of these films are on YouTube:

[youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube]

And if you want to see her in some completely uploaded YouTube films, please check her out here.

[youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube]

I think she's swell! Enjoy.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Theresa, much obliged! :D The only film I have seen of those is the excellent "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry".
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh Phantom Lady!!!! Love it! It's fantastic, isn't it, Fer?

Ella is just beyond words great in the picture. She blew me away! That drum scene is really something, very sexual, and I always think there is a suggestion that Elisha Cook, Jr. is hopped up on hard drugs.

I think this is one of Franchot Tone's very best performances, he's so scary, and I swear, he must have suffered from migraine in real life, because he plays it perfectly.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Some fine noir cited in the last few posts. PHANTOM LADY, THE WEB, and the quiet, intelligent IMPACT, a movie that gets far too little play. And of course, I must mention Cornell Wollrich's BLACK ANGEL. Very similar to "Phantom."
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with your assessments Wen! Thanks for bringing both aspects up.

Red, I'll look for Black Angel.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My brother just gave me five DVDs. They look like VERY low budget crime films. I've never heard of them.

HELD FOR RANSOM
BIG TOWN AFTER DARK
ROAR OF THE PRESS
THE MAN WHO WALKED HOME
ADVENTURE IN IRAQ

Stars like Dave O'Brien, Hillary Brooke, Grant Withers. Released by Alpha Video, in flashy, sensational packages. I've had stuff like this before. Generally in bad condition. My brother says these are watchable copies. I hope so.

Anybody know ANY of these classics?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Red --

I haven't seen those, but:

BIG TOWN AFTER DARK could be interesting -- based on a radio program written by Daniel Mainwaring & Maxwell Shane, and Joe Sawyer is in the cast.

HELD FOR RANSOM is pre-Golden Age of Noir and ADVENTURE IN IRAQ's description on IMDb doesn't sound particularly noirish. And THE MAN WHO WALKED HOME isn't listed on IMDb. But...there could be an unknown gem among them. Hope the quality is decent. Sometimes Alpha surprises me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Oh Phantom Lady!!!! Love it! It's fantastic, isn't it, Fer?

Ella is just beyond words great in the picture. She blew me away! That drum scene is really something, very sexual, and I always think there is a suggestion that Elisha Cook, Jr. is hopped up on hard drugs.

I think this is one of Franchot Tone's very best performances, he's so scary, and I swear, he must have suffered from migraine in real life, because he plays it perfectly.
I love this movie too ... I saw this movie not so long ago when I was in Portland, Oregon visiting a friend there. I love Ella Raines in this movie ... and I consider Ella one's of the film most intriguing stars.

Ella Raines
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You're right, Chio. HELD FOR RANSOM is a crime story. Nothing noir about it. THE MAN WHO WALKED HOME is flat-out comedy, and not particularly good. I skipped to the noir conclusion, based on the extreme pulp look of the DVD cases. Clearly, a marketing choice!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Correction: I mis-read the title of one of my videos. It's THE MAN WHO WALKED ALONE. He didn't actually walk home!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just saw The Scar, aka Hollow Triumph, aka The Man Who Murdered Himself.

All I can say, is, I loved this movie!

Paul Henreid is always more interesting as a villain. His villains are usually men suffering from delusions of grandeur, attacks of overweening pride and also of sudden doubt. I kind of like him better this way... he's somehow more human and likable when he expresses that paranoia.

Henreid must have had a thing about twins or doppelgangers... first he made this movie, in which he plays a con man/robber who finds his lookalike, and then later he directed Dead Ringer with Bette Davis.

The movie really picks up when Joanie Bennett shows up. She's just flat out entertaining, gorgeous, with her standard wry line readings that mask a more fragile personality than we suspected. We don't want her to give up hope. She proves to be the underpinning of the film.

The Scar has a very good storyline, and the way it's directed is quietly absorbing....the same way that Day of the Jackal is absorbing. I found myself rooting for Henreid as I watched him pour himself into another man's persona - to escape a death sentence for foolishly stealing a mobster's money.

I very much liked the sense of humor in the writing.

The movie becomes better and better, the longer we follow Henreid, holding back the fancier camera angles (like the one seen above)for later in the movie. I really liked this subtler approach to what looks like a low budget film at the beginning. Best of all is the scene where Henreid, hiding out as a gas station attendant, suddenly realizes that the men he's been waiting on are the thugs sent to kill him. Sweating bullets, he uses the car itself to hide from them, as we see them through the rear view mirror, through the small gap between the open hood and the windshield, all the time talking about how they would recognize him anywhere! I wish I had a photo to show you how exciting the scene is, how the camera sees everything. You can't hide, you can only peek out from under. Luckily, people aren't very observant of those who serve them.

Gosh, there are so many good things about this film, it's hard to single out a few to praise here.

I loved this shot of the cigarette burning a hole in the countertop as Henreid scars his own face with acid injected into the skin.

The casting is great. Joan Bennett is really superb here and I can't tell you more about her, except she is very affecting. Veteran favorite John Qualen has a lovely cameo role as a dentist. The scenes with Qualen are funny scary, and another darkly humorous scene with a photographic negative makes your stomach sink while you smile, since a good deal of the plot's suspense turns on that scene.

John Alton's lighting is a standout of course, but I liked the way it built up, thanks to the subtle way that Steven Szekely directed the film.

Lots of mirror shots, lots of interesting lighting choices and placement, but the most interesting shots and lighting are further into the film. Ditto for the camera angles, where deep focus skews things more and more. This is not to say that we are in for a crazy world of distortion, Sekely is more subtle than that. We start out pretty normal, even plain. Then as we move into Henreid's world, the camera becomes more subjective, we are at Henreid's view, he's always looming big in the shot, close to us. We feel what he feels and see what he sees. He is big and the people around him are small, which is his character's world view.

What I most liked was the buildup of suspense. Certain scenes were extremely suspenseful, but the movie was one long taut line from beginning to end. It was all of a piece, which means basically that I liked the film overall better than I can piece it together for you here. Really, really good.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The Scar is a great film that's been available for a while, but has never really caught on, probably due to lackluster prints. The latest restoration looks incredible and lets you see the film in a whole new light--or lack of one.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw it years ago and I remember I liked it but, as usual, you've given it depth I don't remember. Of course, I was younger and didn't watch it with the more experienced eyes that I have now (thanks to you and others.) It's on the instant queue in Netflix where I hope I'll get to it soon and chat about it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh I wish I'd seen a good print!

The beginning of the film is deceptively plain. Its the set up for the rest of the film and the character, so it's different in tone. The heist scene is in the barest suggestion of a room, cheap looking, and the ideas are all pretty standard. It's played out almost as a dream sequence, but it really is bare bones, production wise. After that it builds pretty quickly into a pretty great movie. I bet a lot of people decide they don't like it before it really gets going.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ANOTHER nicely written review of a film JackaaaAaay. You make me very sorry I missed "THE SCAR" and make me want to SEE the film. Thank you!

At the film festival, I missed seeing MARSHA HUNT speak before the screening of "RAW DEAL." (Too many choices, so little time TCM!) But some kind soul uploaded it on YouTube which I'm grateful for. I'd like to share it with you folks here.

MARSHA HUNT

I've enjoyed Marsha Hunt in many films. For me, she always has an air of elegance and intelligence and was a fine believable actress. Here at the TCM Film Fest, at 95 years of age...you can still see her beauty and elegance as she speaks a bit about her film career. Again, I truly thank TCM for giving us these appearances of these great classic film stars. I truly enjoy seeing them...even more than the films. And when they walk into the auditorium, I know they can feel our love. It sparks my imagination to think of what Lombard or Harlow or any of those great old stars would be like or look like TODAY. So now... Marsha Hunt speaks:

[youtube][/youtube]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com