Out of the Fog (1941)

dfordoom

Out of the Fog (1941)

Post by dfordoom »

<i>Out of the Fog</i> has some claims to being one of the earliest examples of film noir. Made in 1941, it has not a single scene shot in sunshine. Everything is dingy interiors, or night clubs, or night scenes on the waterfront with more fog than you’ve ever seen and enough shadows to keep any noir fan happy. The movie is about a thug (John Garfield) running a small-time protection racket collecting money from owners of fishing boats. When he starts romancing the daughter (Ida Lupino) of one of his victims you know there’s trouble brewing. It’s really a reversal of the femme fatale thing that was such a feature of film noir. This time it’s Ida Lupino as a young woman who is basically just an ordinary decent person who is tempted by the glamour and freedom represented by racketeer Garfield. When you look at the lives of her parents and their friends, and when you look at her decent ordinary boyfriend (played by Eddie Albert) you can understand why she’s prepared to risk anything to avoid ending up like them. From her point of view anything is preferable to the dreary round of drudgery that comprises their lives. The other noirish element is the way the law is shown to be of no use at all in protecting ordinary people. There is no escape from injustice, unless you’re prepared to abandon the law yourself. And even the most honest people can be drawn into the web of corruption and greed.

The movie has some definite strong points. There’s Lupino’s performance - as so often teetering on the edge of hysteria but a compelling and believable portrait of the desperation of a woman who feels the walls of respectability and normality closing in on her. Garfield gives a wonderful portrayal of charming and seductive evil. And James Wong Howe’s cinematography is superb. Eddie Albert is quite good. The weak points – it’s much too talky overall, and the minor characters are remarkably annoying and just never stop talking. I think they’re supposed to be colourful and loveable and the salt of the earth. I just kept hoping Garfield would bump them off just to shut them up. It was adapted from a play, and the plot is driven entirely by dialogue. It’s beautifully and atmospherically photographed, but it’s like a beautifully and atmospherically photographed stage play. The ending is interesting – it’s cloyingly sentimental, but kind of cynical and film noirish as well, and the movie also suggests that the law is both ineffectual and corrupt, which is a little surprising for a post-Production Code picture.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Out of the Fog is a very underappreicated work. Some people felt Garfield was too laughing and upbeat in this role, but I think he mixes humor and menace in good balance here. Bogart wanted this role and felt he had a handle on how it should be played from his previous work in Dead End, but I think Garfield's lighter approach works much better in this film.

Thomas Mitchell and George Tobias are wonderful as the old fishermen and Aline Machon is halarious as Mitchell's wife with her constant groaning and complaining (notice how she waits for him to come in before starting up).

As DfD says, the film is a bit talky. Lupino seems to be talking too fast in some sections trying to get all the words out before the scenes change sometimes. The policemans wink about the dead criminal at the end is also silly, but it's amazing that they got away with this ending under the production code. All in all, a fine film that deserves a quality remaster and release on DVD.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

I always enjoy Ida Lupino's performances. She's never less than entertaining.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A friendly bump. It comes on tonight! :D
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Jeez, I wish I liked this film more than I do. I like everyone in it (especially Garfield and Lupino; even my childhood idol, Leo Gorcey) and I'm a big fan of the director, Anatole Litvak (his 1941 film, BLUES IN THE NIGHT is a personal all-time favorite). But the tone of OUT OF THE FOG is a little awkward; it never seems to settle into its groove; the arch sentimentality becomes cloying at times, offsetting the darker, more enjoyable aspects. I've seen it a few times (mainly for the cast) and it's always been a struggle. I love that others enjoy it, though.
ken123

Re: Out of the Fog (1941)

Post by ken123 »

The fishermen were played by Thomas Mitchell & John Qualen. AS this film was being shown on TCM the other night cable channel 187 ( WLS Ch.7 ) was playing The Long Voyage Home with Thomas Mitchell & John Qualen. Out of the Fog is one John Garfield film that I dont care for. :)