Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Rita Hayworth

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sherlock Holmes Faces Death - 1943

This movie I just watched on DVD while taking a break from inventory of my pictures of Rita Hayworth; this movie is just as good as Hound of the Baskervilles and the Scarlet Claw. This movie is worth watching because its makes you think about what is going to happen and then some. Hillary Brooke was sensational as Sally Musgrave. I know why our dear member Miss Goddess like her so much; so do I in this movie and I'm going to make an effort to find more of her movies and watch them if I can. She is like my dear Jessica Tandy ... Brooke knows how to use her body to expresses herself so you know what she trying to convey here.

Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce is good as ever ... I know the plot of the movie ... but, I do not want to spoil the fun by writing up a review. But, as a fan of Rathbone/Bruce ... they still delivers as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. Outstanding Cast from top to bottom. Good photography, gripping story line, and fine comedic overtones by Inspector Lestrade played by the great character actor Dennis Hovey whom I like very much in this movie. He was very good in this movie. Believe me, he is one of the better supporting characters ... He did a good job in this movie.

I always love reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books when I was a teenager checking these books out from my local library back in the early 1970's. And, this book was one of the very first ones I read. And, I have no problems following this movie from start to finish.

If you ever get a chance to watch this movie ... I recommended it highly ... I rate it just a good as Baskervilles and the Scarlet Claw.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Hound of the Baskervilles - 5 Movies in One Month!

1939 Version
Holmes: Basil Rathbone ... Watson: Nigel Bruce ... Director: Sidney Lansfield
Arguably the best of the 5 movies because of the acting that went into it. Excellent Pace, full of tension and suspense.
This movie gets the GOLD Medal - Because it is the best of the 5 movies that I seen!

1959 Version
Holmes: Peter Cushing ... Watson: Andre Morell ... Director: Terence Fisher
Cushing could give Rathbone the run of his money; and Morell not bad as Watson either. I like this British Version; but its has some gaps in the movie that I could not put a finger on. Fortunately there were very few of them. The acting of its supporting characters makes up for it and its has wonderful photography and sets. This movie gets the SILVER Medal because of Morell's acting as Watson.

1972 Version
Holmes: Stewart Granger ... Watson: Bernard Fox ... Director: Barry Crane
Rita Hayworth co-star in Salome starred as Holmes in this version (I'm not fooling you) and Bernard Fox as Watson. My friend has it on VHS Tape and we watched it together and I felt that this version lacks character and direction. Weakest of the 5 movies that I saw in the past month!

1988 Version
Holmes: Jeremy Brett ... Watson: Edward Hardwicke ... Director: Brian Mills
Very Nicely Done, Good acting by all players; this version is very delightful and suspenseful. Good Pace and has a touch of horror built right into it. Outstanding Photography and Costumes too! Edward Hardwicke's performance as Watson was incredible!

2002 Version
Holmes: Richard Roxburgh ... Watson: Ian Hart ... Director: David Attwood
Slightly better than the 1988 Version and a notch below the 1959 Version starring Peter Cushing. Great Action, Pace, and nicely made. Great Supporting Cast and nice photography too. This movie gets the BRONZE Medal because Director David Attwood made this movie with class.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like SEVEN PER CENT SOLUTION. The Rathbone films are adorable, in an old fashioned, nostalgic way. But most of them are not all that good. I've seen one Cushing. Liked it. Love Jeremy Brett on TV. Don't know a theatrical film. Billy Wilder's telling doesn't appeal to me.

"Seven Per Cent" is a frolic more than a mystery. Dash here! Run there! Throw in some galloping stallions. It's stylish and adventurous. The cast is good (this can be said for the others as well). The pace is thrilling. The humorous element complements the story.

I haven't read this entire thread. Hope I'm not repeating something!