Crime on film and the Criminals that inspired the writing.

ChiO

Re: Crime on film and the Criminals that inspired the writing.

Post by ChiO »

Saw this episode for the umpteenth time tonight and it still causes my jaw to drop.

Who said noir can't be funny?

[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

My favorite SEINFELD episode - because of Mr. Tierney. Just too bad he didn't behave himself on the set. Apparently they had planned to bring back his character of Mr. Benes for future episodes but he simply terrified the cast and crew.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Anke Eve Goldmann - the inspiration for the movie Girl on a Motorcycle. Certainly not as lovely as Marianne Faithful. :/

I only know about this from the IMDB page so I wonder if only the style and suit were taken from her or if the whole cuckolding her husband plot was too. That is not a good look.
Masha

Post by Masha »

This brings to mind: Albie Baker. He was a reformed but unrepentant jewel thief. He wrote: Stolen Sweets - The Immodest Confessions of the World's Best Jewel Thief (1973 Saturday Review Press).

He worked as technical consultant on at least one movie and was listed somewhere as: 'screenwriter'. I am sorry to say that I can not find him listed on IMDb.com in any capacity. and so he must have been a very minor participant on the fringes of the filmmaking community.

He stated in his autobiography that he played poker with Tony Curtis and tennis with Martha Hyer and Kathy Grant while at location shooting for: Mr. Cory (1957).

It is miscellaneously reported that he was inspiration for the title character in: Duffy (1968).

I am sure that I have read that a movie was to be made based on his life and/or antics but that was a very long time ago and I have seen no trace of it since.

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LostHorizons wrote: January 6th, 2023, 5:38 pm Anke Eve Goldmann - the inspiration for the movie Girl on a Motorcycle. Certainly not as lovely as Marianne Faithful. :/
I L-O-V-E The Girl on a Motorcycle, despite the presence of Marianne Faithfull, whose allure and appeal always escaped me. I especially love the musical score by Les Reed.

Re Anke-Eve Goldmann, here's another, lovelier pic of a more feminine-looking Goldmann.

. . . and here are a whole bunch of pictures of the woman who loved speed.

The Vintagent Articles Featuring Anke-Eve Goldmann

Anke-Eve Goldmann: 'Soviet Racing Women'

Catsuits, Cafe Racers, and#WomenWhoRideMotorcycles

The Vintagent Classics: The Girl on a Motorcycle

I suspect that "Gearhead" Dargo's probably hip about The Vintagent.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

“despite the presence of Marianne Faithful, whose allure and appeal always escaped me.” — EP Millstone.

She had a couple classics. The gal I could never understand was (is?) Nico. One of my favorite Dylan songs, I’ll Keep it With Mine, and she plain flubbed it, imo of course.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: January 6th, 2023, 8:52 pm She had a couple classics . . .
Although As Tears Go By charted (slightly) higher on The Billboard Hot 100 list of songs, Summer Nights, the 1965 Pop hit trilled by Faithfull, is my one and only favorite recording in her discography.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Here is a caution to all posters - make sure you are logged in. It might look like you are logged in and then you type this great post but you are not logged in and your not so perfect post is gone. All that for nothing. That’s why I’m posting this in lieu of the great post that is gone.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Thompson wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:29 pm Here is a caution to all posters - make sure you are logged in. It might look like you are logged in and then you type this great post but you are not logged in and your not so perfect post is gone. All that for nothing. That’s why I’m posting this in lieu of the great post that is gone.
That need not be fatal.

You hit: 'Submit' and a page appears which informs you that you must be logged-in to post and it has the log-in module.
Fill in your username and password and Enter.
It delivers you to a page with a blank reply field.
The key here is to use your browser's: 'Back' icon. That varies by browser but is commonly a left-pointing arrow near the address bar.
Pressing that returns you to the log-in page.
Pressing it again returns you to the reply page where you wrote your text.
Pressing: 'Submit' posts it as normal.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:29 pm Here is a caution to all posters - make sure you are logged in. It might look like you are logged in and then you type this great post but you are not logged in and your not so perfect post is gone. All that for nothing. That’s why I’m posting this in lieu of the great post that is gone.
Thompson,

You might be doing this already, but in case you are not . . .

When you log in, click the Remember Me checkbox, to stay logged in to the SSO. Then if you should accidentally close the window or tab with the SSO or veer away from the SSO, open the SSO again and you should still be logged in.

Also, follow Dargo's recommendation to periodically click the Save draft button while you are composing your masterpiece.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Masha wrote: January 7th, 2023, 12:39 am
That need not be fatal.

You hit: 'Submit' and a page appears which informs you that you must be logged-in to post and it has the log-in module.
Fill in your username and password and Enter.
It delivers you to a page with a blank reply field.
The key here is to use your browser's: 'Back' icon. That varies by browser but is commonly a left-pointing arrow near the address bar.
Pressing that returns you to the log-in page.
Pressing it again returns you to the reply page where you wrote your text.
Pressing: 'Submit' posts it as normal.

Thank you Masha but there is no way I can take that all in. When I hear browser I’m lost. But I will remember in future to make sure I’m logged in when I attempt to paint my masterpiece. ‘Cause some day everything is going to be different.