Comedy - Romantic and Otherwise

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Comedy - Romantic and Otherwise

Post by movieman1957 »

Quite some time later and since Wendy liked it I finally got around to seeing "She Married Her Boss" with Claudette Colbert and Melvyn Douglas.

I guess this is what is meant by "dramedy." Douglas is a single father who is so enthralled in his business that he doesn't have time for anything else. Colbert is his adoring secretary. She is not just a secretary but as much a part of running the company as Douglas. Through an unusual conversation Douglas asks her to marry him. She does but they have done it for different reasons. Douglas is looking for a business partner and Colbert a family.

Colbert finds one but what a problem. The daughter initially makes Attila The Hun look like a choir boy and a live in sister is depressed and well mannered. Too well mannered. Colbert is intent on bringing a little normalcy and sunshine, literally, into their lives.

There are some fun light hearted moments through the first half or so and then life and missed expectations get in the way. Then comes the drama. Colbert is off to Philly to fix a struggling store but also to give her something to do. Clueless Douglas would rather have her stay in fix things rather than be home. This doesn't sit well. More trouble comes.

Almost as quickly as we near the end a crying daughter and a drunken evening with Douglas and the butler soon turn things around. The film ends rather abruptly but leaves the thought that all will be well.

Gregory LaCava directs and everyone does a great job. There are more light moments than dark but while I enjoyed it I felt like it needed to be more straight drama or more comedy. It should be better known. If you are a fan of Douglas and/or Colbert you need to check it out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like "dramedy." But you're right. Sometimes the story just can't find its way. Like it's torn between the two directions. Woody Allen's CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS is like that. Good movie. Some call it a great one. But it leaves me thinking, What was that? I haven't seen the film you've described. With its reliable cast, and La Cava driving, I can imagine it's entertaining!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

GOOD GIRLS GO TO PARIS is a slight but cute comedy starring the lovely Joan Blondell and the lovely Melvyn Douglas. In the tradition of romantic/screwball comedies the plot gets fairly involved but Joan loves engaged Melvyn. Gets involved with his bethrothed's family and turns things upside down and fixes them.

Nice easygoing performances by the leads but Walter Connelly runs away with it as an exasperated wealthy patriarch not unlike his turn in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT only with a little more gusto.

You may not remember it a few months later but it will make you smile.

Courtesy of GetTv and a stomach bug that kept me home.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Can you get it without the stomach bug?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You had better be able to or we are all in trouble.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What Did You Do In The War, Daddy? is a robust and, at times, very funny comedy. At other times it lulls some as it really is a bit too long. The story involves a WWII American army unit capturing a small Italian town where the soldiers there will gladly surrender the next day after they have had their festival. Of course, nothing goes quite right because when the brass come a-calling things must be covered up and it gets very complicated. The previous night's activities make it tough to pull off but the fun is in the trying.

Dick Shawn, James Coburn, Harry Morgan, and Carroll O'Connor (with the craziest eye brows in some time) star and do a fine job of it. A host of familiar characters add life to the proceedings. Blake Edwards directs and as usual with his comedies there are a couple of completely detached story lines that add some fun to it all.

This was new to me and I quite enjoyed it. At the moment you can find it on Amazon Prime.
Chris