It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
ken123

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Post by ken123 »

A Great Comedy ? :lol:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I can't agree. I was extremely disappointed the first time I saw this movie. On subsequent viewings I like it a little better, but on the whole I think it's incohesive and belabored. These actors have been much, much better elsewhere. The movie is like a series of blackout sketches, mixing various performers with various styles, and not very comfortably. I don't think they play off of each other all that well.

I think some re-editing and lots of cutting would make it a better movie. It's just too big and too frantic, and most of what are supposed to be jokes just hang on too long. That is the fault of the script, the director and the editor, not necessarily of the actors.

Save for Jimmy Durante and Dick Shawn (and maybe Selma Diamond's voice), the rest of the cast is more loud than comic. Jonathan Winters' performance is more dramatic than comedy, and is every bit as worthy as Spencer Tracy's. If this was supposed to be screwball comedy, I'd call it a missed effort.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

mmmmmmmmmworld...

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I probably had the most fun in this film with Jonathan Winters. That goofball on that bicycle in the middle of the desert....
I love his wacky character.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Arnold Stang yelling Dr. Zillman, Dr. Zillman always breaks me up. :lol:
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

I absolutely love Dick Shawn and Ethel Merman! The way he's always yelling, "Mama! I'm coming to get you, mama!" just cracks me up. And the way she's always beating people up with her purse. She's so over-the-top in her meaness, it's hilarious.

It's also the first ending of any movie where I was laughing so hard, I started crying. I find I don't react to comedies like other people, but I was rolling at the end. There's a part where they're all swinging on the ladder and Buddy Hackett yells, "I think we should get off in alphabetical order! I'm first!" The fact that he would realize this while they're all swinging around, never fails to amuse me.

I didn't think I would like it, seeing that it's over 3 hours long, but everytime it comes on, I can't help but watch it. I guess TCM has rights to show the super long print, which is great.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Ray Faiola

Post by Ray Faiola »

Unfortunately, when most people see MAD WORLD today they are seeing an erzatz restored version that is 30 minutes longer than the general release version. All the restored footage was from discarded trims and alternate takes and much of it was purposefully cut by the director to tighten the film.

The 154 minute general release version is marvellous and, when screened theatrically, gets fabulous response. It's a very big film and, admittedly, suffers on a tv tube.

I love this picture - great cast, great script, wonderful score.

"We're the ones in the Imperial and we're running LAST?!?"
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I think I enjoy the IDEA of this film more than the actual film itself. Even seeing it on the immense Cinerama screen as a teenager when it was first released I felt something was amiss. There are isolated moments (as well as entire segments) that are hilariously inspired and others that simply hang there without amounting to much. I think Judith's point is most accurate: it would have definitely benefited from some judicious trimming. As a visual catalogue of famously funny faces of the twentieth century it is obviously a one-of-a-kind experience; as a cohesive screwball comedy it is somewhat less so. I liken the experience of watching it to that of watching a baseball game; you can leave it for a couple of innings, come back, and feel like you actually haven't been gone at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

So there I was, laughing my butt off while watching Bill Engvall on the Comedy Channel describing his unbelievable exercise with the Thunderbirds, and how wives get away with being crabby because of a bad hair day, etc. So, commercial comes along, and I decide to check out whats coming up on TCM. Lo and behold, I've never seen Mad, mad, mad world so I may as well check it out.

Remember, I'm in a great mood!!! So after Bill's finished, I turn on TCM, and RO's statement that there's something wrong with you if you don't find it the funniest thing you've ever seen. Guess what??? OMG: THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME !!!!!

What a conglomeration of stupid, meaningless so-called comedic skits all thrown together in one movie. Two hours into the movie and intermission is over. I'LL BE BACK !!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
melwalton

Mad, mad world.

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Judith.
It's been a while since we disagreed. You said 'more loud than comic'. Did you miss seeing Buster Keaton, Tom Kennedy, Nick Stewart, Jack Benny, Don Knotts, Mike Mazurki's son, E. E. Horton, Andy Devine?
Ethel Merman was, certainly loud, and brassy but the part called for it, same with the cameos by Paul Ford and Sterling Hollaway.
I liked the cast very much. So many of my favorites in one film. Ben Blue, Eddie Anderson, Terry Thomas, Peter Falk, Charles Lane, Jim Backus, Carl Reiner, and Keaton, Horton and Hollaway.
I know I'll get a reply this time. .... mel.
P. S. Your mystery guest is a tough one, I was sure it was Kirk Douglas 'til I looked it up and was surprised to learn that he was born here.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Movie's over, and I'm back. The only saving grace to this film is the astounding number of fabulous comedians all together in one vehicle. The absolute best of the best are here and it would be worth it to have a copy of this movie just for historic value. So many wonderful comics wasted in dumb skits that have been done and re-done countless times. The swinging fire truck ladder is right out of several silent movies, even Bob Hope used it in My Favorite Spy. Sid Caesar lighting the place on fire, so predictable. That was the trouble, all of it was so predictable, nothing was new and unsuspected. All these years I've heard people say how great this movie was, but to make me laugh, it has to be something fresh. If I know a car is going to run off the road, that is not funny. If that car is driving along and suddenly turns into an airplane with no forewarning, depending on the circumstances, that may be funny. I mean, no joke is funny if you know the punch line, and a visual joke is no different.

At least I've finally seen it, and can discuss it with some intelligence now.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Mad World is one of those films I find amusing (with so many great characters how could it not be), but I have a hard time sitting through it all. Many people do a good job in their roles, but the film just drags on and on.

The Loved One (1965) made a year earlier, has similar ideas as far as cameos and slapstick, but there is also a element of satire and it more complex lines and characters (It also features the great Mr. Winters in a dual role!). To me it's a perfect blend of Dr.Strangelove satire and Mad World insanity. The sad thing is the comedy in the film, like Strangelove, is more true to life than most people would care to admit.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I like Mad, even the Mickster ( Rooney ) was good. I can't believe that I said that ! :roll:
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Sorry Anne,

I think this is one of the greats. I find it hilarious from start to finish, especially Ethel Merman and the guy who plays her son never fail to crack me up. I'll eventually revise my list on the 25 Favorite thread and put this in. Classic comedy in my book.