Any Interest in Animated Cartoons?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I've been watching a lot of Betty Boop cartoons lately, and they are fantastic. I love all the jazz music that shows up, and the animation has a certain unique quality to it, it's very fluid, almost rhythmic.

It's the kind of thing I couldn't appreciate when I was a kid because the humor wasn't what I was used. But with my current fascination with the 1930's and pre-code Hollywood I am starting to understand how cool she was/is.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've been watching Vol. II of "Woody Woodpecker." There is a lot of good stuff, and I've seen a couple of mid-Fifties Woodies that I remember from TV when I was a kid.

"Hot Noon" is a nice parody of "High Noon." "Termites from Mars" is one of the most famous Woody Woodpecker outings. "Convict Concerto" is extremely funny. Woody is forced to play Hungarian Rhapsody by a bank robber who is hiding in the piano until the gangster's friends rescue him.

There are also some fun Andy Panda cartoons. "Poet and Peasant" is a classical movie spoof that made me laugh a lot.
MikeBSG

Re: Any Interest in Animated Cartoons?

Post by MikeBSG »

I think TCM has a Chuck Jones night tomorrow night, March 23rd. I've never seen "The Phantom Tollbooth," and it will be fun to see "The Dot and the Line" and "The Bear That Wasn't" again.

As well as all the great Looney Tunes stuff.
Rita Hayworth

Re:

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Hollis wrote:Morning everyone,

"The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle" is by far my favorite cartoon of all time, but because of its' humor, not its' rather basic animation. For true artistry and use of color, I'd have to go with ""The Adventures of Superman" from the 40's. Beautifully drawn and animated with excellent stories to boot (for what you could squeeze into 7 or 8 minutes.) I don't think another cartoon series has ever even equaled it, let alone surpass it.

As always,

Hollis
I would add one more cartoon to this list - is the Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner Hour because its has so many beloved characters, like Daffy Duck, Wile E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd, and Sylvester and Tweety Bird among others. I agree with Hollis's assessment of Rocky and Bullwinkle and the Adventure of Superman - I happen to own every single cartoon on DVD's and I was impressed with the animation that went into it. Hollis took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you Hollis for your beautiful wordings and all.

Man, I still amazed amount of topics being shared here.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Kingme, I recommend you run the keywords "fleischer bijou" on the search function - think you'll enjoy the thread it brings up!

P.S: Our beloved Hollis passed away back in 2009; sorry you missed knowing him.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

klondike wrote:Kingme, I recommend you run the keywords "fleischer bijou" on the search function - think you'll enjoy the thread it brings up!

P.S: Our beloved Hollis passed away back in 2009; sorry you missed knowing him.
Klondike - thank you very much for the information - both fleischer bijou and the passing of Hollis in 2009. Thanks for the Heads Up! I really do appreciate an update. I mean well.