The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
feaito

Re: The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

Post by feaito »

Ditto Re. "The More the Merrier"....and may I add "Midnight" (1939)??
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Absolutely! Midnight is my new fave.
feaito

Post by feaito »

:D :D :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is classic screwball comedy. Romantic, flighty, even a little political; a trait not unknown to the genre. If anything, EASY LIVING, with its Preston Sturges script, is even better. So silly it's sublime, the humor is almost ridiculous. Almost, but not quite. Well played by the romantic leads (a Mr. RAYMOND Milland if I'm not mistaken); also the stalwart supporting cast. No nonsense Edward Arnold, the father all the young executives it seems, brings strength and credibility to any movie. Franklin Pangborne? Count me in! These two comedies complement each other. Common actors, similar types, comparable quality. Good!

For the record, I also like the unrelated football story by the same title. Jacques Tourneur's EASY LIVING tweaks the usual emotions without ever losing respect for the material. It's straightforward melodrama and it plays nicely.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

This is also a favourite of mine. I watched this only last week. This is one of the 22 Jean Arthur movies in my collection.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That's quite a collection, Fossy. I have a few old films but not nearly as many and most after "Easy Living."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

movieman1957 wrote:That's quite a collection, Fossy. I have a few old films but not nearly as many and most after "Easy Living."
Easy Living, another comedy starring comedienne par excellence Jean Arthur.Perhaps a bit of over acting by Luis Alberni and Edward Arnold, but good to relax and watch. The comedy of errors just seemed to go on and on.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

over acting by Luis Alberni and Edward Arnold

I suppose. But I never find Edward Arnold less than credible. He was a wonderful actor.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

One could make an argument for Alberni overacting but he's fun. I don't think Arnold did.

I always thought he referred to the glass doors in the apartment as "inwisibles." What a nice place to live, huh?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."