Best Romantic Comedy

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
ken123

Best Romantic Comedy

Post by ken123 »

My vote goes to " The Quiet Man ". All Irish cast, what else needs to be said, and starring the most beautiful woman of all time. :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Gee Ken 123

I guess you feel about Maureen like I do about Mitchum. Nobody can top him in my book. There are others who are more handsome, better actors (few though) and seemingly 'nice guys'. From what I've read of him, he was very well read, highly intelligent, and to me, the sexiest man ever alive.

As to the post subject. It's hard to say the best romantic comedy, but I can say my favorite is 'People will talk'. Cary Grant and Jeanne Crain just seem to fit together like hand in glove. I wish they had done more together. With his debonair suave appeal, and her quiet, ladylike aura, she seems like the perfect woman for him. These were qualities they both exhibited in all their movies, and putting them together just seemed natural.

It seems to me a guy like him would be looking for a woman like her. The Grace Kelly's, Roz', Sophias', and Doris' were fun and dangerous, but not as a serious partner.

The chemistry in 'People will Talk' was amazing. You could almost see that they understood each other so well. The quips and comic scenes were carried off with perfect precision. I've seen this over and over and it's one of the ones that I will never tire of.

Anne
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

For me, this is a no brainer.

My favorite romantic comedy, by a LONG, LONG way, is Ball of Fire.

Two of my very *favorite* actors (Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck), both of them in roles where they are positively ADORABLE. And a great supporting cast as well.

And to top the whole thing off, in the end, the nerd wins! YAY! :D

I absolutely LOVE this film.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's odd as "The Quiet Man" is one of my favorite movies but I don't think of Romantic Comedy when I talk about it. I think Wayne and O'Hara certainly make one of the great couples and would agree with your vote.

There are many but one of my favorites is "The More The Merrier."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

Anne, it's funny about People Will Talk - I enjoy the movie, although I haven't seen it for years (when I stopped watching AMC), but I'm not sure I would consider it a comedy. There are funny bits - the train at the end, but the subject matter, and the way it's treated, the unplanned pregnancy, saving the killer from death. . . (my memory is fading on that wonderful character's name!) - all pretty serious stuff, IMHO. And not treated in a light hearted manner. I agree with you abou the chemistry between Grant and Crain. I would put it in the group of non-funny Grant movies - like Penny Serenade.

Julie
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

JulieMarch4th:

You're a new 'face' - Welcome to the boards.

You are very correct in your discussion of People Will Talk, but I've seen this movie so many times, I can quote passages from it. The reason I think of it as a comedy is every single interchange between Grant and Crain is loaded with double meanings, innuendoes, and smart aleck remarks, totally human and realistic. When Grant gets together with Walter Slezak and starts in on him, I laugh out loud. You are right, it handles many issues with great diplomacy, but when listening to the dialog, I tend to think of it as a comedy.

The gentleman you're thinking of Finlay Currie - Mr. Shaundescen.

Anne
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

My Man Godfrey. Or would people separate that into the "screwball" category? I include it only because I think William Powell's character is a romantic dreamy guy! I can easily see why both Carole Lombard (in real life as well as reel life) and Jean Dixon fell for him.

If I can't have Godfrey, then I nominate Robert Montgomery and Maureen O'Sullivan in Hide-Out. The more I watch it the funnier and more adorable this movie becomes. Featuring a great script by Frances Goodrich and Albert Hacket, as well as superb support from Edward Arnold, Mickey Rooney (still very young and Huck-Finnish) and Elizabeth Patterson, not to mention a host of brassy blondes and underworld types.