What's Up Doc - a homage to how many?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
JackFavell

Re: What's Up Doc - a homage to how many?

Post by JackFavell »

I don't remember that one Red. I wonder if some of this stuff is on youtube... I may do a quick check. It sounds a little like Best of the West, a western comedy which never made it either. Maybe I can find Frank's Place while I'm looking for it. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I just googled it. It was called 1775. My research stopped with the title. Still not sure what became of it.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Nothing came of it.....just another failed pilot. And it looks like you were one of the few to had actually seen it.
In which case IMDb needs you to preserve your memory online as it seems only one other person has chimed in.
I say hold out for top dollar....

I did read that some think it was an attempt at an American version of BLACKADDER. Any comment on that?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I haven't seen BLACKADDER, though I've heard much about it. The show was fast and bawdy. Reminded me of some of those plays with multiple doors slamming, people hustling in and out with plot changes. Like certain, atypical episodes of CHEERS or FRAZIER, the ones where everything bursts wide open and all the plugs are pulled.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

It's very British comedy. Think Python in any of their costumed sketches (The Spanish Inquisition...etc).
Rowan Atkinson grew up in that milieu. Which is why I cannot see Ryan O'Neal engaging in that type of frantic
verbal jousting if that indeed was what the pilot was aiming for.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Some Blackadder's are better than others, my brother had them on a continual loop when I was younger and despite this they still stand up, the best for me at least are the second and fourth series, the first is good but was finding it's feet and the third has the brilliant Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin