The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
stuart.uk

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Post by stuart.uk »

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a lovely British movie. I didn't know weather to say this was a comedy or a drama, so my apoligise of I got it wrong.

Spoiler

It's about an allegedly group of elderly British folk who leave the UK and go to live in what they thought would be a plush Indian hotel, when in fact it was a dump.I used the word allegedly when using the word elderly coes Penelope Wilton, Bill Nighy and the vastly underrated Celia Imrie are only in there 60s. In fact Imrie recently did a bit of power dressing in a Doctor Who episode, playing dare I say, a sexy villainess. However, it's credit to Judi Dench, in her late 70s, that she was a credible love interest for Nighy after his 40-yr marraige to Wilton broke up. I think Judi is a bit like Claire Bloom in that respect, though she has played elderly women in recent period dramas.

It's interesting to see Maggie Smith, play a disabled elderly figure, waiting for a hip operation, play a woman from working class origines instead of her Ladyship from Downton Abbey. She comes up with a plan to turn the hotel into a profit, becoming the assistant Manager.

Also in the film is Ronald Pickup and Tom Wilkinson. TW plays a retired gay Barrister, who returns to India to find an ex-lover, who it turns out is happilly married, after an arranged marraige. From a UK point of view it's also nice to see Jimmy Tarbuck's daughter, Liza Tarbuck, in a small role of a nurse. I also want to mention Indian actor Dev Patel, who gives a great comic performance as the hotel Manager, at odds with his mother as regards the business and his choice of girlfriend

It's nice to see that in recent yrs The British Film Industry is making movies about the older generation. It's rather refreshing, but then the talents there......................................
JackFavell

Re: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Post by JackFavell »

I loved the movie Stuart! It was probably my favorite that year. I enjoyed the entire location, the way the people interacted, how Penelope Wilton's character was not really judged for her tight feelings and problems with new things, and I just loved Bill Nighy and Tom Wilkinson.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I've seen this movie on HBO and I loved it. Maggie Smith was a hoot and she made me laugh. In fact the whole cast jelled so well, I ended up watching the movie 3 times. It was a delight.
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Joe, I loved the movie so much, I bought it as soon as it was available. I very seldom buy movies, I just record them when I can, but this one had to be 'official'. :wink:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's definitely a keeper! I thought it was done so well, none of it was too sentimental, or too dry either. It just worked. Glad to hear you liked it Joe, and that you got your own copy, Nan!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I do love this enduring drama - Maggie Smith is a bona fide actress that charms her way into the movie itself and not to mention Judi Dench and Tom Wilkerson that played Graham Dashwood in a role that is tailored made for him. Worth watching and never a dull moment either ...
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I saw this on HBO a few weeks ago and was totally enchanted by the film. In some ways, it reminded me of Love, Actually but it stood on its own. Maggie Smith and Judi Dench as well as Tom Wilkinson and Bill Nighy and the rest of the cast were just marvelous!

It's one of my favorite films of 2012!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I want to see it just on the cast alone. Getting that kind of list speaks well for the project. All of your comments make it required viewing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't know what's going on with me. I hardly ever watch new movies anymore. I know they're not all bad. Access is greater than ever. I'm just not interested. Going through a phase? I'm seeing previews of a new Superman movie. It looks pretty good. But how dark and contemplative does this stuff need to be? It's Superman!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Red:

You're not alone. I don't even really look to go to the movies anymore. When I do see one it is more because someone said some good things about them here.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with movieman and Redriver as to whether I want to watch newer movies. Usually it's NOT . . . however, now and then one enjoyable and different one does turn up. It's rare but I do have a handful of movies released since about 1990 that I do like to watch, many of them I've seen more than once, but none of them is like a Mortal Storm or a Ghost and Mrs. Muir which I could watch 15 times and still not tire of it.

I also agree with all the others who saw the . . . Marigold Hotel, but I can't term it as a comedy. Some of Patel's antics were cute, but not enough to provide a truly happy feeling. I also, found a few spots kind of uncomfortable, like the reunion of Tom W. and his old friend, I suspected what was going to happen and actually felt like I was intruding on a private experience, and the breakup of Nighy and Wilton was surprisingly sad for me. I saw it coming, but wasn't quite prepared for it. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, in fact I DVR'd it the other day and hadn't yet watched it, so when this thread covered it, I had to see it last night. Unfortunately seeing it listed in the Comedy topic lead me to expect a full comedy and was disappointed.

One thing about Maggie Smith - she can turn any line of dialog into a joke. She has a rare gift for it and it's too bad she waited so long before doing some real comedy. Dame Judith Dench is a priceless treasure for the U.K. I'm very much into her weekly T.V. show "As Time Goes By", which I watch faithfully every Saturday night. I realize it's an old series, but is totally new to me here in the U.S. But in all, I have kept the movie because with all the British accents, I don't always catch the dialog properly.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Anne,

I can clearly see where you are coming from here ... and I can see why you made these points. Thanks for sharing it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I finally got to see this film. It is wonderful. It's a lovely quiet film full of wonderful performances. I love the characters. It is sometimes very funny but also rather poignant.

Well done.
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thanks Movieman, I'm going to give this a try -- if I can manage to take a break from my binge-watching of "Royal Pains." :wink:

It looks like there has been a sequel -- The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2555736/reference
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is in on my list for next week.
Chris