William Powell

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
feaito

William Powell

Post by feaito »

When I was watching today the delightfully fluffy romantic comedy "The Baroness and the Butler", I came to the conlcusion that William Powell is one of the best actors of all time.

Even in light, harmless, fluff like this film he rises above the material, with his flawless performances. He was such a trouper and seasoned pro. And it seems that in real life he was quite an excellent human being too. Myrna Loy, her eternal partner, had only kind words for him in her wonderful semi-autobiographic "Being and Becoming" (which I recently read). I've never seen him give a bad performance, not once!

What are your thoughts about this great actor?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nothing to disagree with you on. There's an comfortable style and a dignity he has that is very endearing. All that helps to make him very good. "My Man Godfrey" is still my favorite.

On a completely superficial note he was, I thought, was one of the best dressed men on film.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I love him in Mister Roberts as Doc.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

I had forgotten about "Mister Roberts", a great film. "My Man Godfrey", a masterpiece.

Powell's talent and charisma were precious. He could save any film, for example "Man of the World". His performance is pivotal to that film.
Last edited by feaito on June 19th, 2007, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Powell, no matter what comical situation he is in, always has such class... His whole look is just so classic, with those beautiful eyes and boyish but intelligent mug. I've also heard only positive things about him and his personal life.

I just love his role in the Thin Man series - One of his best moments (for me) was in After The Thin Man, when he greets the old butler, who says "Walk this way, sir," then slowly begins his feeble treck into the house. Powell replies so effortlessly, "I'll try," and imitates the walk.

And his voice! His voice is one of the most memorable I've ever heard. He could be reading the phonebook and make it sound important and intellectual.

"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I love William Powell! I think he is brilliant!

I've not seen that film that you mention...but I have never met a William Powell film I didn't like. :)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

pktrekgirl wrote:I love William Powell! I think he is brilliant!

I've not seen that film that you mention...but I have never met a William Powell film I didn't like. :)
Which movie haven't you seen?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I have to agree with pktrekgirl. I haven't seen a Powell movie that has caused me to change my mind about his talent and genius.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

jondaris wrote:
pktrekgirl wrote:I love William Powell! I think he is brilliant!

Which movie haven't you seen?
THE BARONESS AND THE BUTLER.

I believe it was the film that inspired Fernando to start this thread. :)

I'd like to get ahold of it though - I really want to get all of his available films...because I think he is brilliant, and never get tired of watching him.

The only film he is in that I have seen that I didn't like is THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING. I watched this back during Elizabeth Taylor month, and I thought the character he played was very hypocritical.

But that wasn't Powell's fault - it was the writer's fault. As usual, his acting was flawless.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Pktrekgirl,
I have seen The Baroness and the Butler on the Fox Movie Channel in the recent past. If you get that station, perhaps you can catch it someday soon. It's not bad, and of course, Powell is the best thing about the screwball movie. There's no predicting when that oddly scheduled network will show stuff, other than checking out the site listing upcoming flicks featuring Mr. Powell on American cable stations, found here. I'd offer to tape it, but don't have the working equipment to do so at the moment.

Have you seen the romantic-themed The Key (1933), set against the background of the Irish Troubles, and one of his early talkies, which pops up on TCM on occasion? Powell has his moments, though the edgy Colin Clive is definitely worth a look too. It's not currently on the schedule, though I see that the obscure Private Detective 62 (1933), in which he has an opportunity to be suavely jaunty opposite Margaret Lindsay, is scheduled for September 27th at 8:30am. Worth a look, though not the greatest.

I know that you're a well-versed silent fan. Have you seen the transitional film The Canary Murder Case (1929)? As a Louise Brooks fan, I'd really like to see that one. Aside from the ones that I've seen, such as Sherlock Holmes, Romola, The Last Command, and Bright Shawl, would you recommend any of his other silents? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
vallo

Post by vallo »

He's one of those Actors that makes acting look easy. One of the Best!!!

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

A tippy-top favorite and would I love to meet a man like William Powel in real life. :lol: My favorites of his movies are:

My Man Godfrey
The Thin Man's
Jewel Robbery
One-Way Passage
Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid

And the one which contains perhaps his best acting, Life With Father. He's amazingly funny as the head of the Day family and his scenes with Irene Dunne are priceless to behold. It seems this movie is mired in some kind of legal tangle so it is rarely shown, which is a pity of pities.

I hope all of you have seen/get to see this glorious film.

traceyk

Post by traceyk »

William Powell is one of my favourites too. He is suave and handsome, but has a great self-depreciating humor as well. I love him with Myrna Loy--they were as good a team as Tracy and Hepburn. And even as an older man, say in "How to Marry a Millionaire," he still gets my heart. Schatze Page made the wrong choice, far as I'm concerned.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I agree---even as a kid I wanted Lauren Bacall to choose William Powell over Cameron Mitchell.