Finally, a comedy that stays funny

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
mrsl

Finally, a comedy that stays funny

Post by mrsl »

As you know, I don't get out much anymore so movies on the premium channels on T.V. are like brand new to me. This one I saw over the weekend and found it quite funny. Blended is the first true comedy I've seen since Holiday. Most so called comedies turn sad by the last 1/2 hour with all sorts of social and emotional problems, but this one continues to keep you in a good mood until The End appears, and after with some of the out takes during the credits.

Released in May, just last year in 2014, Blended stars Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore who make a cute, recurring couple like June Allyson and James Stewart did. Some of the reasons for their predicaments are a little far fetched, but still the story moves along. Sandler is usually pretty funny, but often falls into the bodily function genre. There is only one small scene like that in this film and it is not carried on and on as often is done. It's about two families who are unfortunately thrown together during an African safari trip given to them by friends. I say unfortunate because the couple have been on a blind date and it was the typical 'date from hell', so when they see each other they naturally start saying and acting the worst. However, it is a cute movie and I recommend it for a good family night. Get the popcorn out and the couch throws and relax and enjoy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Finally, a comedy that stays funny

Post by Lomm »

Thanks for this. I thought the preview looked appealing but Sandler usually turns me off for the reasons you said. Good to know this one isn't like that. Drew Barrymore is a favorite of mine, so I'll give this a watch now!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm the same way. You say Adam Sandler, I say, "Or?"
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thanks for the tip, mrsl. I'm going to give Blended a try. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I hope you folks come back with your opinions of my opinion.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I have just finished watching it. I loved it! I'm sort of a sucker for romantic comedies anyway, and as someone who tried to have a blended family (and failed; the wrong girl! :)) I especially enjoyed the parts with the kids bonding with each of the other adults. There were some things that were foregone conclusions from the start, like the oldest daughter's bonding moment with Drew, I saw coming early on. But that didn't matter; these kinds of films always have things like that, and it's part of the fun seeing how they do it, not that they are going to. The only thing I really could have done without was the African singers. The lead singer guy tried a little too hard and it was too much. But that was a small quibble in an otherwise highly enjoyable movie.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I saw Blended this afternoon. It wasn't my cup of tea. There were some poignant moments, and quite a bit of silly behavior, but to me no real humor so I didn't laugh at all. There seemed to be little chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler this time around, which surprised me. But anyway, I'm glad I gave it a try. :)