Claudette Colbert

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
tallulahfan

Claudette Colbert

Post by tallulahfan »

I adore Colbert but Noel Coward found her very difficult to work with too as he describes that she fussed around trying to direct the other actors in his TV version of "Blithe Spirit". I think he was rather cruel to her in one rehearsal by saying "I'd wring your neck - if you had one!" She had one of those wonderful voices and had great class and charisma. She also played comedy beautifully. "Midnight" is my favourite Colbert movie.
feaito

Re: Claudette Colbert

Post by feaito »

tallulahfan wrote:I adore Colbert but Noel Coward found her very difficult to work with too as he describes that she fussed around trying to direct the other actors in his TV version of "Blithe Spirit". I think he was rather cruel to her in one rehearsal by saying "I'd wring your neck - if you had one!" She had one of those wonderful voices and had great class and charisma. She also played comedy beautifully. "Midnight" is my favourite Colbert movie.
"Midnight" is a masterpiece of Comedy. Witty, sophisticated, funny, charming, flawless. It's also my favorite film of Mlle. Colbert. It should be on DVD!
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Fealito, I agree about "Midnight". I have it on VHS and it's fantastic. John Barrymore gives another wonderful and (for him) understated performance. Wasn't it written by Billy Wilder? I like "Palm Beach Story" and "It's a Wonderful World", too.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
feaito

Post by feaito »

traceyk wrote:Fealito, I agree about "Midnight". I have it on VHS and it's fantastic. John Barrymore gives another wonderful and (for him) understated performance. Wasn't it written by Billy Wilder? I like "Palm Beach Story" and "It's a Wonderful World", too.
Same here Tracey!! :wink: Those are among my top favorite Colbert films. "Midnight" and "It's a Wonderful World!" must be released on DVD! It's a crime that they haven't been put on DVD yet!

You are right, I recall that "Midnight" was scripted by Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett. Undoubtedly a masterpiece.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

feaito wrote:
traceyk wrote:Fealito, I agree about "Midnight". I have it on VHS and it's fantastic. John Barrymore gives another wonderful and (for him) understated performance. Wasn't it written by Billy Wilder? I like "Palm Beach Story" and "It's a Wonderful World", too.
Same here Tracey!! :wink: Those are among my top favorite Colbert films. "Midnight" and "It's a Wonderful World!" must be released on DVD! It's a crime that they haven't been put on DVD yet!

You are right, I recall that "Midnight" was scripted by Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett. Undoubtedly a masterpiece.

One among the many from the Wilder/Brackett team.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde