Screen Presence

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Feinberg

Screen Presence

Post by Feinberg »

Who's got it? Not necessarily tied to talent but that certain something that separates an actor from the rest of the pack.
I'll start with ...
kingrat

Re: Screen Presence

Post by kingrat »

Great idea for a thread. Who do you look at in a scene? Who can carry a film? John Wayne certainly can. I am not the world's biggest fan of Tom Cruise, but he has screen presence and can carry a film. His ability to alternate commercial films with more artistically ambitious projects has created an exemplary career.

By contrast, consider that fine actor John Savage, so good in a supporting role in The Deer Hunter. He then starred in The Onion Field, a very fine film, and in The Amateur, not seen much but a good thriller. Unfortunately, these two films showed that he isn't a star actor, that he doesn't have the charisma or presence to carry a film. You could express this idea in several ways: that he's more comfortable as part of an ensemble; that he doesn't have the desire or need to take center stage and make the story about him; that neither he nor his creative mentors could help find the look or the best way to use his facial features; that he couldn't develop a persona that carried over from picture to picture.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Marilyn Monroe in Niagara knew how to make an entrance.

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Clint Eastwood
When in doubt, have another one.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Audrey Hepburn
When in doubt, have another one.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

John Gielgud spoke of his experience working with James Mason on Julius Caesar (1953). While they were shooting Gielgud was wondering what Mason was up to as he didn't appear to be 'acting' at all. Then when he saw the film he was somewhat aghast that Mason was blowing him off the screen.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

How about the following two from Hollywood's more recent past. Neither of whom I would consider as being "handsome" in the classical sense, but who still seem to dominate almost every scene that they're in by use of this thing called "Screen Presence".

First, a two-time Oscar winner and an actor who I've always been impressed by his abilities to be chameleon-like in the roles he took on...

And secondly, he with the voice so distinctive that comic impressions of it and of him are presently done as much as any ever were of any of the big Hollywood stars that came before him...
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

A good test is whether they can keep you watching even in iffy material and someone who always does that for me is Jane Russell. Underwater! is coming up in June and it's fairly standard Howard Hughes adventure stuff, but he always made sure she was well-showcased and she looks great and gives us full-on Jane.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Image Image
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »