Henry Fonda

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:PK girl and Miss Goddess:

HOLD on a minute. The most 'wuss-y' Henry Fonda ever was, was in The Big Street with Lucy, but before you exterminate him like the bug he is in all the movies you mentioned, you have to see him in things like The Best Man, Fail Safe, Spencers Mountain, and 12 Angry Men. In those movies, among many others, he is much more manly. In fact Warlock is another great example. You two just happened onto a couple of his early films where he was trying to become someone. Once he made it, he no longer played the wuss. Since he will be featured in October, you'll see.

Anne
Actually Anne, I have seen those movies and then some and so can say with some conviction that I vastly prefer Fonda in the more authoritative roles. I even like him in Fort Apache, in which he plays a pretty despicable guy, and yet with a perverse kind of dedication that I admire.

It's just that I am firmly NOT a fan of the man = chump variety of comedies.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ahhh:

I thought you had only seen him in his 'wussy' movies. Believe I can understand not being a fan of someone who everyone else emulates!!!. I thought you were basing your opinion on just those insipid movies. Like I said previously, as for old marble mouth, I HATED him in On the Waterfront and The Godfather, but made myself watch several of his other movies to make a more rounded judgement, and nothing changed for me, still can't stand him.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Nah...*I'm* the one who is basing my opinion solely on "those insipid movies". :lol:

Clearly MissG has seen way more of his films than I have.

Frankly, after watching him wuss his way through THE BIG STREET, I've been actively avoiding the guy, so I am much less well-versed.

The only reason I saw him in THE LADY EVE and THE MAD MISS MANTON is because they are both Babs movies - and I watch ALL Babs movies, regardless of whether there is a wuss in it or not. :P But even with these, I spent the better part of both films wishing he was Gary Cooper. :D
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Fonda's Joad is hard to beat in The Grapes of Wrath.
(So I'm with Mr. Arkadin on that point, and I'm also appreciative of the Steinbeck novel.)

But for funny buddy movies, they haint nuthin' lak thuh
"Cheyenne Social Club." Stewart stammerin' and Fonda folderollin' all over the screen. It's a contest to see who's going to out do the t'other'n.

They just had to feel guilty when they cashed those checks.....
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Fonda Comedies (Non-Wuss Division):
While we're anointing Henry Fonda as Biggest Wuss in Classic Movies--a charge that I think is only sometimes justified--I thought some of us might like to check out one of his most relaxed roles on film early this Friday, Oct. 12th, at 1:15am, when he saddles up with Glenn Ford for the highly amusing The Rounders (1965).
Fonda is alot of fun here and while laid back and rather quiet in much of the film, not a wuss. I wish that he could've done more comedies like this during his career.

Another comedy to check out sometime, in part because of Fonda's good comic acting opposite an effectively used Gene Tierney, but also because it has grand parts for con artists Spring Byington and Laird Cregar, is the little known Rings on Her Fingers (1942), which I've only seen on HBO.

Fonda as Adventurer:
Other non-Wuss Fonda parts that I was disappointed to see omitted from this month's tribute on TCM were The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936) and Spawn of the North (1938). Where in heck are these outdoor adventure movies?
They have rousing stories, some great location footage, and the first movie pairs Sylvia Sidney with Fonda and Fred MacMurray and the second has Fonda, John Barrymore and Dorothy Lamour! Oh, yeah, "Spawn" also has George Raft, which I'm prepared to overlook because of the other virtues of this seemingly forgotten movie. Both deal in interesting ways with the clash of modern society and the more natural, sometimes harmonious cultures of Appalachians and Native Americans.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Fonda Victimhood, but may be interesting:
I wonder if one of the reasons why many of us haven't warmed to Henry Fonda over the years might be because--unlike most American leading men--he played victims of society so well?

When he did play authoritative roles he wasn't a man who proved this quality by his actions, but most often by his expressing himself through words. Also, Fonda showed how wrongheaded authoritative men could often be, as in Fort Apache, when his martinet officer was sure he was right all the time. I like the thoughtful, reflective qualities of this actor, but this quality gives him a distance from the audience that may make him hard to warm to. Come to think of it, he's probably one of the few leading actors who could play an intellectual convincingly from this period.

The other day, after dutifully enjoying the story of Slim, as I'd been instructed by a certain Mr. Klondike, (good, non-wuss flick, very similar to the later movie, Manpower. I loved the final scene of Hank climbing the tower in the snowstorm), I ran across a Henry Fonda movie that I'd never seen called Let Us Live (1939).

Like the much better known Hitchcock movie, The Wrong Man (1956), Let Us Live, directed by the underrated John Brahm deals with an unjustly accused man whose initiative as a cabbie who wants to marry his girl (Maureen O'Sullivan) earns him a trip to the big house and possible ride in the electric chair for something that he didn't do. The film effectively shows how he's gradually stripped of his touching faith in justice in this world. This movie seems to parallel the Fritz Lang precursor to noir movies, You Only Live Once (1937), but I think it may have been an influence on Hitchcock's later movie, since there is a dollop of Catholicism in this movie, as well as a sense of blind fate toying with the lives of decent people. I'm glad I saw this film. Fonda's plight in this movie is touching rather than irritating because of his relative passivity and his optimism.

----------------------------------------------------------------
One other movie of Henry Fonda's that I'd like to see sometime would be The Moon's Our Home (1936) which is allegedly one of the better screwball comedies and would be interesting to me as a Margaret Sullavan fan.
Last edited by moira finnie on October 7th, 2007, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Another good authoritative role for Fonda is "The Tin Star." A former sheriff turned bounty hunter gives some important on the job training to a young inexperienced sheriff, Anthony Perkins.

Fonda plays the part of the emotionally wounded former sheriff who wants his money and to get out. Fonda is reluctant to help but would rather help than see Perkins get killed. Neville Brand is good as the town nasty.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I had to come back and correct an assumption. That is that I dislike Henry Fonda. I don't!!!! I like him a lot. I only agreed that in the movies that had thus far been discussed he DID play a wuss.

The Cheyenne Social Club?!!!
You never saw a funnier, dirty old man. He was wonderful, and I agree, he and Jimmy must have had a ball filming it, and I'm sure Shirley Jones added her two cents worth also.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, that is an interesting summation of some of Fonda's more obscure films.
I would especially like to see "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine" again, with good performances and in sumptuous color to die for.
Also fine, although sad, is Friz Lang's "You Only Live Once", a social drama.
I also admire the ex Mrs. Henry Fonda, Margaret Sullavan as I always loved her voice.
Alas I never thought of Fonda as a wuss, since he abided by the script and took direction to create the character as written. A professional actor tends to do that.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moira---I have to say that Fort Apache is the ONLY film in your interesting post I've seen! I have always wanted to see Rings on her Fingers (I had a chance to see it lately at a revival house but missed it, darn) and the others I have not even heard of.

Let me add that I only thought he occasionally played a weak character---as written and directed---and that I just don't like those characters. As for himself, I suspect he may have been one of the toughest and stubbornest nuts in the business, mainly because he seems so unemotional----which makes me think Moira is right: he could have convincingly played an intellectual. He does, in a way, in The Male Animal, for comic effect. However he is again, semi-wussy. Hee!
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Henry Fonda

Post by movieman1957 »

I got to watch Fonda in his stage show Clarence Darrow. Oddly enough directed by John Rich the man responsible for directing many "All In The Family" episodes. Good performance by Fonda as he carries everything by himself. Mostly done as a story telling type but thrown with he "reinactments" of his parts of his famous trials. It is rather short at 80 minutes but I thought worth your time if you like Fonda.

One flaw I found was both a distraction and a compliment to Fonda. It must have been shot over two nights as the dimple in his tie would come and go. (I know only I would catch that.) But when they would edit between the two the performance was so consistent that there was no other way to tell. It was filmed before an audience. (I thought using the term "live" would be redundant.)
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

OH, Chris, at first I thought I was reading about your experience seeing Fonda
on stage, LIVE! Darn! So, I take it this is on DVD?

I get the feeling from things he said over the years that the stage was where his heart was.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sorry about that. Yeah, it was DVD and last night. (I did get to see Claudette Colbert and Rex Harrison on stage together live.)

The stage had to be his heart. Anyone that could do as many performances of one show ("Mr. Roberts") as he did would have to love it. To me it would be the equivalent of watching the same movie every day for a couple of years.
Chris

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

And in May, the Europeans get the Region-2 release of Henry Fonda and Paul Newman in SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION.

Fonda's not a favorite actor of mine - among the classic actors - but his films are often favorites. For me, his despicable character in FORT APACHE injures my desire to re-watch this film except for the great Victor McLaglen scene at the Indian Agent's trading post, where McLaglen tells his troopers, "We've a man's work to do" by disposing of all that illegal moonshine. McLaglen scenes, however, are often my favorites in most of his supporting-role films.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ollie wrote:And in May, the Europeans get the Region-2 release of Henry Fonda and Paul Newman in SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION.
Sometimes a Great Notion (which is based on an excellent novel by Ken Kesey), often seems to confuse folks in retrospect by it's lethally lukewarm box-office receipts and the faint praise that damned it by critics who seemed universally uncomfortable with its apparent lack of genre or category.
And that's odd, in that it all plays out sort of like a rough-shod, adult-topic, male-bonding version of Spencer's Mountain, which Fonda himself had captained to general success not too awfully long before.
Then, as if to ruin the film forever, the studio's big idea was to retitle it Never Give an Inch for its featured runs on TV; not only was that an annoyinly misrepresentative title, but it pretty much severed most of the public's awareness of the film being linked to the bestselling book. :evil:
Purportedly, Newman was so upset with the television title, he considered teaming-up with author Kesey to sue the filmmakers, but they wound-up abandoning the idea for fear of scotching the broadcast rights.
And of course, looking back, Newman mentioned several times that he wished he had taken them to court, anyway.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I've never even heard of this movie. I mean, the title is familiar, but I had
no idea Fonda had even worked with Paul Newman.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers