Who are your top five favorite actresses?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

sugarpuss wrote:
pktrekgirl wrote:Well, except maybe The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex. But that's really more because I can't help but think about what was going on behind the scenes on that film - she made Errol Flynn miserable - and that distracts me somewhat.

But other than that...I can't think of a single instance where I didn't care for her.
There's a funny story in her biography that during the whole filming of Essex, he was making her miserable during the kissing scenes (he kept trying to make the kisses more "romantic", and she was repulsed because he had been drinking all night. She used to imagine that she was kissing Laurence Olivier instead.)
:shock:

GAH!

Wow...Bette Davis and Errol Flynn have some VERY different remembrances of that film.

I mean, they could not BE any more different.

I highly doubt that Errol was aiming to make their kisses 'more romantic'....because by the end of that movie he was ready to kill her.

His version of the story is that she was making very explicit sexual overtures toward him..and when he 'passed on her kind offer', she got pissed off...and proceeded to make his life miserable for the rest of the film.

He is very detailed in his telling of the takes on that scene where Elizabeth slaps Essex. Seems she had a huge ring on her finger...and when she slapped him in the first few takes, she did it for real, physically hurting him in the process. I mean, she hit him HARD.

When he tried to approach her about it, she insisted she couldn't possibly play the scene unless she really did hit him, and told him that he would just have to suck it up and take it. He perceived this, pretty much, as something we would today call sexual harassment...and got really pissed himself.

Finally, after she did it a few times, he was so angry that he knew on the next take, if she whaled on him again, he'd hit her right back. As he walked forward in the scene, he is quite certain that his eyes were blazing in fury...and it was then that she finally backed off and decided not to press her luck.

No...this was not what you'd call an amiable working relationship! :lol:

Now, I can't speak about Bette Davis's side of things...but I do tend to believe Errol on this point....the reason being is because Errol, even in his autobiography, never went out of his way to make himself look good. In fact, when it came to himself, he was more often likely to tell white lies that made him look worse rather than better, mainly in an attempt to improve the story and make it funnier.

He never spared himself in his writings...and this is why I don't think he would have whitewashed this incident. He said they got on fine during The Sisters...but that she was really brutal during E&E.

Interesting counterpoint, don't you think??? :lol:

Now I'll have to go and read Bette Davis' account!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

My most reliable way of choosing which movie to watch is the star that is in it. In my case that is usually the two leads, however, there are some supporting stars that I will watch whenever they are on. So my list is a little different.

There are so many to choose from, and I thought of others and crossed them off as others came to light. But these women are in movies I've seen over and over, and I never tire of them in anything they do. There are some I like a lot, but these ladies are in movies that I never fail to watch, while the others are in movies I can take or leave, but when these ladies are in the movies listed, I never miss them.

Leads:

Greer Garson - So beautiful and enviable in her carriage and manner. She can do it all from comedy to drama. Valley of Decision

Deborah Kerr - Again so stately and lovely. Best in drama but she can handle the quips with the right partner.Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

Ann Sheridan - I just love her. Beautiful, sharp tongue, but also compassionate when needed. Kings Row

Claudette Colbert - Liked her younger days, but got to really love her when she started playing the mother roles. Since You Went Away

Debbie Reynolds - Such a doll, and she could do it all. Molly Brown

Supporting:

Thelma Ritter - Absolutely never did anything not enjoyable to the fullest.

Eve Arden - Beautiful, funny, sharp, and what a great gal to have for a friend.

Marjorie Main - I would love to have her in the family to go to for advice.

Agnes Moorehead - Always pleases, even when being mean or catty.

Mary Wickes - Another one to have for advice. Love to have her for a maid or housekeeper to help keep the family in line.

I have to add two semi-newbies - Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. I see everything they're in and they never fail to entertain.

Anne
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JDB---I like your post about Bus Stop---she was luminous, indeed. Billy Wilder spoke of the way she photographed, calling it "flesh impact", meaning her skin photographed so real it seemed like you touch it. He went on to add only Garbo possessed this remarkable quality in front of the camera.

Marilyn brought so much of herself to her roles, which is what many actors are taught to strive for in their studies. I think she did it better than most because she was gifted with that unique presence on film.

Miss G
benwhowell

"Dogs never bite me. Just humans."

Post by benwhowell »

I'm so glad to see Marilyn Monroe on a coupla lists...She's always been one of my favorites.
I would have to add "Niagara" and "The Seven Year Itch" to the ones mentioned as my favorites.
She is "just elegant" in "The Seven Year Itch-"showing us her comic ability to play (yet another) "dizzy blonde-"bubbling over with naive charm and unbridled sexuality.
I love Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly, but...It's too bad Marilyn's friend, Truman Capote, didn't get his wish. I'd love to see the "heart break" she could have brought to the role.
Can't you just she her having breakfast (alone) in front of a Tiffany's window...or destroying her room after receiving news of the death of her brother...or singing "Moon River!"
MissGoddess

Re: "Dogs never bite me. Just humans."

Post by MissGoddess »

benwhowell wrote:I'm so glad to see Marilyn Monroe on a coupla lists...She's always been one of my favorites.
I would have to add "Niagara" and "The Seven Year Itch" to the ones mentioned as my favorites.
She is "just elegant" in "The Seven Year Itch-"showing us her comic ability to play (yet another) "dizzy blonde-"bubbling over with naive charm and unbridled sexuality.
I love Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly, but...It's too bad Marilyn's friend, Truman Capote, didn't get his wish. I'd love to see the "heart break" she could have brought to the role.
Can't you just she her having breakfast (alone) in front of a Tiffany's window...or destroying her room after receiving news of the death of her brother...or singing "Moon River!"

I, too, am curious to see what MM would have brought to the part. It certainly would have been a "whole 'nother movie" with her. Earthier.
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

pktrekgirl wrote:Interesting counterpoint, don't you think??? :lol:

Now I'll have to go and read Bette Davis' account!
That's putting it...mildly. :lol:

The intersting thing is that she does mention that she was attracted to him because of his faults, but that she had too much pride to give in. She didn't think she would "like being compared to all those cute little contestants in the private beauty contest he was holding...But there was no question about it, Flynn was a beautiful thing."

So yeah, I suspect his account was much closer to the truth, because she even admits there was attraction. But she was such a proud woman--I can understand what she means. No woman likes to be just a notch on a man's bedpost, especially Bette Davis. She had a lot of pride as well as a kind of self-protecting rage. One of the things I like about her is that she wasn't shy about saying who she liked and who she loathed :coughJoanCrawfordMiriamHopkinscough:. I think she was being so cruel to him, as to overcompensate for her attraction. But from everything I've read, Errol Flynn was exactly the kind of person you describe him as.

I just watched The Sun Also Rises a few nights ago, and I thought he was wonderful in that. The drunken friendship between him and Eddie Albert was best part of the whole movie.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies