Who are your top five favorite actors?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Top Five Actors

1.Spencer Tracey: Incredibly dynamic and versatile actor without seeming to "try."
2.Cary Grant: Wonderful sense of comedic timing and awfully cute too.
3.Jimmy Stewart: The perfect "everyman" and general nice guy without being cloying.
4.Ronald Colman: The essential classy and understated Golden Age actor.
5. Van Heflin: Very underrated, talented and edgy actor who hasn't been given the attention he deserves in so many great roles.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

CLARK GABLE: "Gone with the Wind" - "Mutiny on the Bounty" - "San Francisco" - "Strange Cargo" - "Call of the Wild" etc.

WILLIAM HOLDEN: "Sunset Boulevard" - "Born Yesterday" - "The Country Girl" - "Picnic" - "Rachel and the Stranger" etc.

JOHN GARFIELD: "They Made Me a Criminal" - "Humoresque" - "The Poatman Always Rings Twice" - "Dust Be My Destiny" - "He Ran All the Way" etc.

JAMES CAGNEY: "Angles with Dirty Faces" - "White Heat" - "The Roaring Twenties" - "Yankee Doodle Dandy" - "City for Conquest" etc.

HENRY FONDA: "The Grapes of Wrath" - "You Only Live Once" - "Drums Along the Mohawk" - "The Big Street" - "The Lady Eve" etc.
melwalton

thanks

Post by melwalton »

Charlie

Miss G

Heartfelt thanks. 'course, I'll be happy to keep in touch. .... mel
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

If you'll forgive the lateness, here are mine...(along with some favorite films)

1. Cary Grant (Bringing Up Baby, North by Northwest, His Girl Friday, Notorious, Only Angels Have Wings, The Awful Truth, I Was a Male War Bride, Monkey Business ['52], Charade)

2. James Stewart (Harvey, Rear Window, Vertigo, The Naked Spur, The Shop Around the Corner, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, The Mortal Storm, Call Northside 777, The Man from Laramie, Winchester '73)

3. Charles Laughton (Island of Lost Souls, The Private Life of Henry VIII, Devil and the Deep, The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Suspect, Witness for the Prosecution, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Beachcomber, Les Miserables ['35], Hobson's Choice)

4. Alec Guinness (The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, Last Holiday, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Horse's Mouth, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Our Man in Havana, Oliver Twist, Tunes of Glory, The Man in the White Suit, The Captain's Paradise)

5. William Powell (My Man Godfrey, The Thin Man, Libeled Lady, Life With Father, The Senator Was Indiscreet, Manhattan Melodrama, Street of Chance, Jewel Robbery, One Way Passage, Love Crazy, I Love You Again)

-Stephen
inglis

Post by inglis »

John Wayne
Spencer Tracy
Sidney Poitier
James Stewart
Cary Grant