The 80th Academy Awards

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
benwhowell

Just say no...

Post by benwhowell »

Hey, CP...I haven't seen "Juno" I get the impression it was last year's "Little Miss Sunshine."
I love those contemporary slices of Americana...for the masses...with an indie edge.
Reminds me of way back in the '80's when some of my fave directors/writers were turning out these types of movies left and right...including Johathan Demme, Joe Dante, Susan Seidelman, Allan Arkush, Martha Coolidge, John Sayles, et al.
I've read a coupla interviews with Diablo Cody and she writes for Entertainment Weekly. I like her stuff and I'm glad she got this encouraging nod.
I picked up the soundtrack to "Juno" because it featured many of my fave artists...including Cat Power, Belle & Sebastian, The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth. I'm now obsessed with Kimya Dawson/The Moldy Peaches.
I was totally blown away by Ellen Page in "Hard Candy." Anxious to see her in something a little less intense.

I'd also like to add that I was hoping art director Jack Fisk would have taken home a trophy...to add to the family collection. Was this his first nomination?
I've always loved his work...from the warped DIY techniques he and David Lynch used on the underground/cult/midnight movie masterpiece, "Eraserhead" to his directing his beloved Sissy Spacek in "Ragedy Man" and beyond.
Handsome Johnny Eck
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Ben W,

I believe they met on the set of "Badlands". Spacek is listed as an assistant set dresser in "Phantom of the Paradise".

Two years later, was her break-out role in "Carrie".

They've been married for forever.

I don't think he has won an Oscar yet.

Glad to see you back here!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese