Which child star has had the longest successful career

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Which child star has had the longest successful career

Post by stuart.uk »

Elizabeth Taylor and Natalie Wood both made the transition from child star to successful adult performer without a hitch. however, poor Nat died young and Liz hasn't made a decent movie in about 30-yrs

Mickey Rooney has remained a star all his days without recapturing the glory days of his youth

Roddy Macdowell had a quite period after his child star days, but came back with 5-Card Stud and The Planet Of The Ape's series. he also guested in many tv shows and reamined a fine supporting actor.

Dean Stockwell has had his adult moments in Sons And Lovers and playing the villian in the 2nd Bonanza feature film

the main reason for inspiring this thread has been Hayley Mills. i'm lucky in the UK that i've been privilaged to see her outstanding performances as glamorous jean wearing granny Caroline in the Born Free type drama Wild At Heart. i admit she's been quite over the last 20-yrs or so, but at 61 she may well lay a claim for the most successful child star in their later years.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

JohnM wrote:I don't think anyone even comes close to Dean Stockwell, who just never stopped working. He is also, in my opinion, the best actor of all the child stars.
Don't forget his turn in Blue Velvet.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Jackie Cooper certainly has had success (as actor, director and producer) from toddlerhood to old age.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Actually, upon looking him up, I see that he started acting at age 7 and retired many years ago, before he was really that old.

Still--a long and successful career.
Allegra_Blyth

Post by Allegra_Blyth »

Ayres wrote:Jackie Cooper certainly has had success (as actor, director and producer) from toddlerhood to old age.
i was about to say the same thing. I agree 100% ;)