Buster Keaton

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
bobhopefan1940

Buster Keaton

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Any Keaton fans here? *in love*

8) I posted a thread over on that other forum :wink: but I wanted to claim my name over this one ;) Since he is now my *favorite* actor, taking reighn over William Powell and Robert Montgomery :oops:

First of all, does anyone have any Keaton favorites? Favorite moment, movie, quote (off-screen, obviously ;) ) ... ect. ect.

And what is the best set of movies to buy featuring Keaton. As I said in a thread before, I have seen some versions of Keaton's movies with the remastered orchestral music in the background, and I prefer those versions. :D I want all the Keaton movies I can handle!
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I really like Buster Keaton. When it comes to the "Big Three" silent comedians, I prefer Chaplin...but Keaton is second...and considering that I pretty much WORSHIP Chaplin, second is not a bad place to be in this particular line-up. ;)

I think my favorite Buster Keaton film is THE GENERAL. I just think that is a brilliantly made film, in just about every respect. It might even be my favorite silent that does NOT have Chaplin or Valentino in the cast. :lol:
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Buster

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Buster fan, here. I loved the Marion Meade biography. Unreal all the things he did and created for the first time on the screen.

Fave: The General,

Second Fave: Steamboat Bill

(I've only seen a few!)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I like them all but I think my favorites are "Seven Chances" and "Our Hospitality." Of course, they are the ones I have most recently seen.

I'e been getting some therough Netflix and it looks like they come from a complete set of Keaton films. If I remember from Amazon it's in the $150 range. This set also includes many of his short films which are also quite good and almost unheard of.

Most of mine I have from TCM.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

movieman1957 wrote: I'e been getting some therough Netflix and it looks like they come from a complete set of Keaton films. If I remember from Amazon it's in the $150 range. This set also includes many of his short films which are also quite good and almost unheard of.
Thanks for the info, Chris... I need to check that out. A complete set might just be the ticket, a littly pricy but I'm sure it is worth it.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Reminder:

I anyone is interested Keaton's "College" is this Sunday night's silent movie selection at midnight. (June 10/11)

Not up there with his greatest but a rare look at a fun movie.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I really need to investigate Keaton----I know I've seen one or two of his silents a very long time ago and found them funny but I just didn't get into him as much as I did Chaplin. But you guys all have such good taste I know he must be wonderful. I'll try to record College tonight or rent some of his movies on Netflix. Starting with The General. Can't believe I've never seen it.

Miss G
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Nice photo.

I really like Keaton's face. I think he's quite handsome, and I think that even when he's in 'deadpan' character it is one of the most expressive faces in film.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Thanks to Chris for the reminder, I'm also stoked that they are giving us a day of Keaton films (Aug. 30) during "Summer Under The Stars." Seems they have chosen alot of Keaton works with MGM for that day...
jdb1 wrote:
I really like Keaton's face. I think he's quite handsome, and I think that even when he's in 'deadpan' character it is one of the most expressive faces in film.
I was thinking this very same thing while I was watching Exit Smiling the other night on Turner. For the era he was in, I think forcing himself to do the dead pan expression really makes his expressions subtle. That's why I think Keaton is such a wonderful actor, one look he gives really can say it all.

Here's one of my favorite pics of Keaton, I love how dark his skin was without all the white make-up on.

Miss G, while I enjoyed College, I wouldn't judge Keaton on this work. Perhaps you can rent The Navigator or Sherlock, Jr., I think those would really give you a better idea of why so many think he is such a wonderful actor.

Of his shorts, my favorites are The Scarecrow and My Wife's Relations. Both table scenes in these are just marvelous... :D

Thanks for the sites, mets! All of them are wonderful. eBay is also a wonderful place to gather pics, as always.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Danny!
I think My Wife's Relations is one I've seen. I will try to see Sherlock, Jr., The Scarecrow and The General. :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I have loved Charlie Chaplin for over twenty years I could never understand why some people claimed Keaton was as good . Last year there was a wonderful series on called Paul Merton Silent Comedians. The first programme was on Buster. I saw why some people had made those claims. I rented some Buster titles off a DVD rental service. The first to arrive was College, the Battling Butler and finally Seven Chances. I was completely hooked. I still haven't seen all his comedies. I've never seen one I didn't like. Our Hospitality, Seven Chances, Sherlock Jnr and The General are classics. (I've yet to see Steamboat Bill Jnr and The Navigator) I've seen half of his shorts The Goat and The Scarecrow being my favorite.

I guess now both Charlie and Buster hold a special place in my heart.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you are in the US TCM plays them every now and then so you should get the chance.

They are both very good. "Sherlock, Jr. is rather short but some of the camera tricks are unbelievable considering they were done in the mid 1920's. "The Navigator" has one of my favorite little gags in it when he goes to see his girlfriend. But it is another film to show off how his great athletic skills.

One I saw recently was "Go West." It's a more gentle comedy and maybe not quite the level of his really great pictures but it is worth a look.
Chris