Celebrity Lookalikes

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Celebrity Lookalikes

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone else saw similarities in famous people.

I've just been watching Follow The Fleet with Fred And Ginger and my husband can't resist saying ' You're watching Stan Laurel again' Thing is I can see it. Particularly in Follow the Fleet were Fred plays a sailor and not his usual top hat and tails character.

Does anyone else get famous people mixed up or does one famous person remind you of another?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

When I was a younger film buff, I used to get Victor Mature and Robert Mitchum mixed up. I still see some similarity between them (particularly their film noir work), but at least I can tell them apart now.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Although I don't confuse them, whenever I watch Robert Emhardt, I see Sydney Greenstreet.

And I would swear that Marjorie Main also acted under the name of Minerva Urecal.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Dirk Bogarde and Cliff Richard

Julia Roberts and British tv presenter Carole Smiley

Sam Neil and James Mason

Gordon Mcrae and Matt Le Blanc

British 60s pop star Helen Shapiro (an even better singer today)and Michelle Lee (Knots Landing), both have made versions of How To Succeed In Buisness Without Really Trying

Kurt Russell and Michael Anderson Jnr in their teen yrs

Charlie Chaplin and Tommy Steele (hope that's not offensive to you) i thought young Tommy in Tommy The Toradoar was the spitting image of a fair haired Charlie.

Ingrid and her daughter Isabella (that probably doesn't count, but if they want to make a movie about Bergman's life they'd better get a move on before the daughter's to old to play her young)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

John Garfield and Cameron Mitchell

Stuart:

I can see all of your similarities except Julia and Carol. What do you see in them that is similar?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

i'm surpised you know of Helen Shapiro, a singer a rate better today that she did at her recording pk as a teenager. she and Michelle could pass for sisters. The Beatles were her supporting act before they hit it big

and i'm surprised you know of Carol. i suppose its the hairstyle and shape of the face. the mouths are different though

if i'm allowed to throw in a sportsman, what about Britain's greatest ever golfer Nick Faldo and Harrison Ford

i thought some might be surprised at me suggesting Tommy Steele and Charlie Chaplin. i think of Chaplin had been filmed ten yrs earlier i think Tommy would have been even better than Robert Downey jnr and that's saying something. i also would have cast Michael Crawford as Syd
charliechaplinfan

I can't see the Tommy Steele and Charlie lookalike but I'm not very fimiliar with Tommy Steele despite being British. I don't find it offensive though. Tommy Steele is a great entertainer. I did like Robert Downey Jnr as Chaplin, I think he portrayed him as well as anyone could but you were never going to get the essense of the man in a 2 1/2 hour film. I'd love to see a mini series produced about him, then again I'd probably pick holes in it. He's so special to so many people that everyone can't be satisfied.

I used to get Ava Gardner and Cyd Charisse mixed up. Both stunning looking women.

I hope no one thought I was being disrespectful to Fred Astaire or Stan Laurel. I love them both. I could never imagine Stan dancing with Ginger though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

maybe it's the glasses and guitar Buddy Holly and Hank Marvin of The Shadows

i personally feel Chaplin should have been two films. more should have been made of Penny Anne Miller as Edna, because she was probably more important than even Hetty in Charlie's early love life. Lita Grey too hardly got a mention and nothing about Paula Negri or Georgia Hale, two of Chaplin's 20s girlfriends. among the guys, Eric Campbell was a great friend of Charlie's before his sad death in 1917
charliechaplinfan

The film only really glossed over the top of his life. It obviously had the approval of some of the Chaplin family because it had Geraldine in it.

I read a quote recently, of course it's gone from my mind who said it. The person who did say it said that Chaplin was immensley proud of having a mother that was mad, he felt it made him special. That's contrary to other stories I'd heard about how he didn't know how to behave with her. He never knew what she was going to be like. it was obvious from his autobiography that he loved her enormously.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stu:

I had a magazine 100 years ago that had a small section showing British 'new kids on the block', and Helen was one of them. For some reason, her face stayed in my memory.

As for Carol, I adore her from Changing Rooms. I missed her sorely when she left to have her babies and Lawrence Lewellyn took over. Oddly, at the same time, our Paige Davis left Trading Spaces to do a Broadway musical and just returned this season after about 2 or 3 years.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Cornel Wilde and Tony Curtis
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Carole Smiley finished fourth in Strictly Come Dancing a yr ago
klondike

Post by klondike »

Zachary Scott & Lee Bowman; compare their roles (respectively) in Mildred Pierce, and Cover Girl - even their wardrobe looks swappable!
feaito

Post by feaito »

As a kid I used to mix up James Whitmore and Spencer Tracy; also Lucille Ball and Eve Arden.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Ossie Davis and Rex Ingram. I always thought they looked a lot alike, although several years apart in age.

On the lighter side, I always thought that Cary Grant looked exactly like... Archie Leach. :lol:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.