Marilyn, the silver haired beauty

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Marilyn, the silver haired beauty

Post by stuart.uk »

i just bought a MM dvd box selection with GPBs, HTMAM, TSYI and a doc about her last unmade film Somethings Got To Give with some outtakes. if anything the screens most beautiful blonde bombshell, looked even more stunning with silver hair. it suited her, particulary at 36, showing her developing into a stunning middle-aged actress. i'm reminded of Vera Miles, who suddenly cut her hair and dyed her hair grey, turning her into a 60s beauty

the doc, narrated by James Coburn suggested MM was badly treated by Fox. before shooting began she was discovered in her room, unconsious, due to an overdose of sleeping pills, there were several requests for a a break, so MM could recover from her ill health, the also had a serious bout of the flu.

MM i think, despite her success and great beauty was a frightened, insecure young woman.

one thing about the film i would say is that Cyd Charisse was inspired casting as Dean Martin's other wife, looking great in a 60s pant suit and other outfits. maybe MM was intimidated by having another great beauty on the set

it seems MM was on the verge of a great comeback when she died. after being fired she made another deal with Fox to begin shooting SGTG with another director. she even got a delighted Cyd Charisse back on board.

the day she died, somethings came to light. apparently she was happy when speaking on the phone to a friend. however, it's reckoned she fell into a depression. i always though MMs death was an accident, but her Doctor reckoned she decided to committ suicide, but after she took her dose, changed her mind. she phoned Peter Lawford with a cry for help, but he failed to realise the seriousness of the situation. this fits in to Peter Lawford's torment later life that allegedly led to his losing battle with alcoholism.

one has to ask, though no-one is to blame, if MM could have been saved. first Lawford was slow to react. then he contacted someone, who phoned MMs housekeeper Enuice Murray to ask if Marilyn was okay. knowing MM had gone to bed, Mrs. Murray said she was fine and didn't check on her until the next morning, when she discovered her dead body. what if Peter went around to her apartment right of, or better still phoned the housekeeper and told her to get into Marilyn's bedroom right away. if Mrs. Murray had gone into MMs room after she recieved her phone call, would Marilyn survived. the doc also said if her fans knew how depressed Marilyn was a lot of them would have moved heaven and earth to help her.

as a footnote regarding her relationship with Bobby Kennedy. someone said Marilyn had the crazy notion of becoming First Lady. the response of a friend was it wasn't so daft. after all she married the most famous baseball star in the world and followed it up by marrying the most famous playright in the world, who would have thought she would have pulled that of
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

There have been many theories put forward over the years including the one that Bobby Kennedy was seen at her house that day, another that she was seen in his company in town. Would the Kennedy's silence her in that way. To me it smacks of the conspiracy theory concerning Diana that Prince Philip had her killed.

Whatever did happen, Peter Lawford did carry guilt about her probably because he thought he could have saved her. Maybe it's something more sinister.

I prefer to think that she took an accidental overdose. Believing that she was murdered by the Kennedy's or the mob is not what I want to believe.

It will remain one of the unanwered question of Hollywood folklore.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

another doc suggested Bobby Kennedy secretly visited the house to see her dead body. if true it's not particulary sinister. understandably he didn't want his presence publically known, but possibly just wanted to see her one last time
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I agree with charliechaplinfan that, although there are “mysteries” surrounding Marilyn’s death, it’s most likely an accidental suicide. More the loss for us, I think, because Marilyn, as a great actress, was just getting started. (Her performance in The Misfists proves that.) I like to think that as she aged, she would have embraced television, perhaps staring on one of those night time soap operas of the 70’s/80’s ala Dynasty and Dallas.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The doc i saw today suggested it was a suicide that turned into an accident because MM changed her mind, but was unable to help herself.

Her doctor also said the pills found in her body wern't prescribed by him and likely she got them outside the U.S. so it could be a possiblity she didn't realise just how strong those pills were

also she was found unconsious months earlier as a result of an overdose of sleeping pills

i agree her best yrs were still ahead of her. she would have fitted into the mini-skirted 60s even more successully than Audrey Hepburn and Liz Taylor.

it would have been interesting to see her playing mother to young actors/actresses like Nicole Kidman, while still remaining a looker herself.

it's sounds crazy, but i could imagine her in old age as an American Miss. Marple, solving murders
GaryCooper

Re: Marilyn, the silver haired beauty

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith