This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

September 20th marks the birthday of Swedish director and actor

Victor Sjostrom
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's September 21, and Fall is almost here. Today is the birthday of a prolific writer, whose imagination provided inspiration for dozens of films:

H.G. Wells
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

September 28 is the birthday of character and voice actor (radio, television and films):

Arnold Stang (the one in the hat and glasses)
[Image
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's my daughter's sixth birthday. She shares it with Brigitte Bardot and Marcello Mastroianni, rather good company I think.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

Wanna feel old - Donna Douglas, the adorable ingenue Elly May on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES turned 75 this week (September 26th).

Well doggies indeed!!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hello, all. This is a photo-less post, because I can't easily post images from this station, and I have no computer access at home these days.

Just wanted to point out that today is the birthday of one of my very favorite Brooklyn-born actors, Jeff Chandler, who would have been 90 years old today. His shocking death in the prime of his life, caused by medical incompetence, still makes me very sad.

Maybe someone can post a beefy photo or two on my behalf? I'd appreciate it.

Here's to you, Ira!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

How about this, Judith?
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hubba, hubba, Dewster. I had to stop watching just now when I got to the shirtless portion - after all, I am in the office, and must maintain my ladylike demeanor.

Thanks for this, it's wonderful. Just goes to show that star doesn't have to conform to any particular and boring standards of beauty to be beautiful. The man just oozed "It."

I wonder if movie fans these days realize the significance of seeing a Nice Jewish Boy from Brooklyn, born in 1918, who could look like that. You didn't see many of those walking the streets when I was a girl.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In 1962, one of the trips to the local drive-in with my parents and little sister was to see a war movie. My Dad liked war movies, but it was my Mom who insisted that we see it because Jeff Chandler was in it, she L-U-Ved him ("hubba-hubba" I believe was her description), and he had just died. MERRILL'S MARAUDERS. Who knew I'd have my Mom to thank for introducing me to Samuel Fuller?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

He hasn't passed on, but some sad news: Peter Falk has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
LOS ANGELES – A court document filed by Peter Falk's daughter says the Emmy-winning actor is suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

Catherine Falk is seeking a court's approval for a conservatorship of her 81-year-old father, who she claims no longer recognizes people. A hearing has been scheduled for late January.

Falk is familiar to most audiences as the star of the television series "Columbo," for which he won four Emmys. He was also nominated twice for Academy Awards for movie roles in 1959 and 1960.

The petition filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court states Falk lives in Beverly Hills with his wife and recently had hip surgery and requires constant care.

A phone message left for Falk's manager was not immediately returned Tuesday.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

That's very sad news. Here, with pals John Cassavetes and Ben Gazzara,
Peter Falk gets to the naked Truth in HUSBANDS.
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Re: This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Post by jdb1 »

I'm able to attach photos once more, so here's a birthday salute:

Paul Douglas
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:I'm able to attach photos once more, so here's a birthday salute:

Paul Douglas
Great choice, Jude!
And what a great face . . so weathered, so shaped by apparent hard times, and yet so comfortable with itself . .
I've often thought that it was one those rarely perfect "Dad" faces. :)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, Klonny, here's a real change of pace in birthday faces for today's date:

Tiny Tim (with Dick Martin on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In). They weren't yet calling it performance art, but that's what it was
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A May 6 birthday:

Orson Welles - Scene from Macbeth. Whatta hunk he could be, when he wanted to. (It was scenes like this between Welles and Jeanette Nolan that gave us Tim McIntyre.) :wink:
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by jdb1 on May 6th, 2009, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.