This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:Now let me read between the lines there, Ken. Hmmm -- could it be that you are blessed with green eyes as well? Cool.

Once when I worked at Gulf + Western (they owned Paramount then), I came upon Charles Bronson in the lobby, and we nodded to each other, as you sometimes do in a waiting for the elevator situation, and he had the greenest eyes I have ever seen in a human being (wonder if they were real or contact lens enhanced; they looked natural). How do yours rate?
Me having green eyes ? I guess so, I put them tending to the dark green side. But I know that they are very dreamy ! :D :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

August 10 - one of Hollywood's most prolific characters:

Hugh Herbert (Hoo Hoo!!)

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Another August 10th birthday:

Rhonda Fleming (she is also the vocalist on this)
\[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

An August 11 birthday:

Lloyd Nolan [When there are actors like Nolan and Harry Morgan in the movies, all's right with the world.]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A lot of notable Classic Hollywood birthdays today, August 12, including:

Sam Fuller
Joe Besser
Oscar Homolka
Marion Lorne
Cecil B. DeMille
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

And also on August 12, the birthday of this lovely lady:

Jane Wyatt
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:A lot of notable Classic Hollywood birthdays today, August 12, including:

Sam Fuller
Joe Besser
Oscar Homolka
Marion Lorne
Cecil B. DeMille
Joe Besser - A terrible Stooge, but I liked him as Stinky on the Abbott & Costello Show.

C.B.DeMille - There are no words that I can use on a familt site to describe him, but he was excellent in Wilders Sunset Boulevard.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

From what I've read, Besser hated being a Stooge.

DeMille may be less than the salt of the earth, but there's no question he left his indelible mark on Hollywood.

Admit it, though, Ken: Jane Wyatt is very pretty.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:From what I've read, Besser hated being a Stooge.

DeMille may be less than the salt of the earth, but there's no question he left his indelible mark on Hollywood.

Admit it, though, Ken: Jane Wyatt is very pretty.
Yes she is very pretty. In grammar school the nuns urged their students to watch Father Knows Best. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

As a little girl, I couldn't understand why the very average American family of "Father Knows Best" had this beautiful, glamorous mother, who had a vaguely British accent, and who never seemed to be allowed out of the kitchen. She really didn't seem like the type who would marry a small town insurance man (no aspersions toward insurance men intended) - she seemed more like a chairwoman of the women's auxiliary of a posh country club, whose husband would be the president of a bank, or chief executive of a multinational corporation. Somehow, she didn't seem to quite go with the rest of that family, and didn't look quite right shelling all those peas every week. (In fact, she was from a very wealthy East Coast family, who disowned her when she went on the stage.)

I found her much more believable as Mr. Spock's mother.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote: She really didn't seem like the type who would marry a small town insurance man (no aspersions toward insurance men intended)
Thank you. :wink:
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

(I did actually think of you as I typed that, Chris.)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

"Now, Bud."

Judith: Please don't tell us you were neither "Kitten" nor "Princess".
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO wrote:"Now, Bud."

Judith: Please don't tell us you were neither "Kitten" nor "Princess".
I was indeed neither. My experience of kids in NYC in the 50s was that we were very different from the TV "average American" versions - they seemed kind of weird to us. We were all a lot more like the Dead End Kids.

Have you seen the early 50s indie movie The Little Fugitive? Those kids are exactly the kind of kids I grew up with (in fact, I lived in their neighborhood in Brooklyn, Borough Park).
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

April 13th: