This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

August 15th is Julia (The Spy) Child's birthday. Apparently, it's a day for strong-willed and creative women. It's also the birthday of

Ethel Barrymore (She's looking pretty snazzy here. No wonder Winston Churchill proposed.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

August 15th is also the birthday of

Edna Ferber
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, it's a big day - August 16th has many celebrity birthdays, among them Julie Newmar, Fess Parker, Edye Gorme, and

Mae Clarke
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Very cool picture of Mae. I adore her.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

That is a wonderful picture of Mae. She was very talented and beautiful. And a bit neglected, perhaps.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

An August 18th birthday:

Shelley Winters
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

By the way, ladies, about Mae Clarke -- it seems that she got plenty of fan mail up to her death in 1992 (she lived in the Motion Picture Actors' Home). The photo above is dated 1990, when she would have been 80 years old.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, just watched Singin in the Rain for the umpteenth time, but this time I was waiting for Mae. She was there and gone so quickly, but it was fun to see her. She was a redhead in the movie, so I wasn't sure if it was her until I looked at the great photo you posted of her. Thanks for the heads-up. I know I've seen her in a lot of "bit" parts, now I'll be able to yell "Mae Sighting!" and scare the dog...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Maybe "Mae Sighting" will replace the "Whit Bissel!!" game I've played since I was a kid. Certainly it will be a bit more challenging than finding Ol' Whit, who is far easier to find on the screen than Waldo ever was in his books.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

hey, that would make a fun thread on games and trivia..."mae sighting". first one to post wins an ethernet dollar :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

August 19th marks the birthday of:

Debra Paget
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's an August 22 birthday. I couldn't find a good photo, but I did find a section of one of the I Love Lucy episodes where this fine all-purpose ethnic and "milquetoast" character actor appears:

Jay Novello
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hello, all. I'm no longer able to post these nice photos from my office computer, so this particular thread has been somewhat offline lately. Now I'm at home, so I can mark some August 30th birthdays.

First, the oldest of our birthday celebrities:

Eduardo Ciannelli
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The next August 30th celebrant is

Raymond Massey
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The next youngest in today's group is

Shirley Booth