*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by CineMaven »

Please pardon this slight hijack and borrowing to create the thread for this quilt:
mongoII wrote:Image
Priscilla Lane & Robert Cummings are joined for tea by a guest on the set of Hitchcock's
"Saboteur"
[u][color=#0000BF]kingrat[/color][/u] wrote:Because Moira and I have been chastised before, we won't mention which of the three principals in the photo from the Saboteur set we think looks the most intelligent. Nope, not at all.
[u][color=#800000]mongoII[/color][/u] wrote:good.
[u][color=#008000]moirafinnie[/color][/u] wrote:Duly chastised, aren't we, kingrat? Image
All I want to know is--where is the blind uncle? Back in the cabin, alone and still musing philosophically now that his service dog is out partying with his niece and you-know-who?
[u][color=#404080]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:...As for the gentleman whose name must not be spoken, his shortcomings didn't exclude him from some top notch projects. The Hitchcock thrillers. THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES. And the great soap opera of them all. KINGS ROW!
[u][color=#400000]feaito[/color][/u] wrote:...as well as the wonderful comedy "It Started with Eve" (1941), with Deanna Durbin and Charles Laughton, arguably one of her best; the best episode of Duvivier's "Flesh and Fantasy" (1943) in which he and Betty Field are great; the stylish and elegant Anthony Mann thriller "Reign of Terror" (1949), the superb, gothic "The Lost Moment" (1947); the super-smart comedy "Princess O'Rourke" (1943); the quite unique Sirk "Sleep My Love" (1948)...Give this actor his due! :wink:
...but I just want to say you guys are hilarious!

THERE ARE NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE WHO CANNOT SEE:

One quick question...why do blind men live alone in the woods? Shouldn't they be around a lot of folks to help 'em out? Being in the woods where bears, uhmmm, do their thing, it could be dangerous...not to mention messy! I loved the old kind uncle as much as I liked the old gentleman who lived in the cabin that the Frankenstein monster visited ( especially as played by Gene Hackman but not played by Charles Bickford in that Joan Bennett / Robert Ryan film. ) Kind...philosophosical.

Thanxx for your indulgence. Now back to our regularly scheduled Mongo, who'll know doubt want to put Baby in the corner.

- CineBaby
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Good Stuff :lol:
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
PAT HINGLE (1924 - 2009)
A notable role was as the father of the character played by Warren Beatty in Splendor in the Grass (1961). He is probably best known in recent times for playing Commissioner Gordon in the 1989 film Batman, and its three sequels. Hingle had a long list of television and movie credits to his name, going back to 1948. Among them are Hang 'Em High (1968), Sudden Impact (1983), Road To Redemption (2001), When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder? (1979), Brewster's Millions (1985), Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive (1986), The Grifters (1990), Citizen Cohn (1992), The Land Before Time (1988), Wings (1996), and Shaft (2000).
He lost the lead role in the film Elmer Gantry (1960), which could have been a turning point in his screen career, when he, trying to escape a stalled elevator in his apartment building on the West Side, fell more than 50 feet down the shaft. He fractured his skull, hip, wrist, and most of the ribs on his left side, also breaking his left leg in three places. A finger had to be amputated. Near death for two weeks, he spent a year relearning to walk. Burt Lancaster inherited the role and won an Oscar.

JUANO HERNANDEZ (1919 - 1970)
He was the son of a Puerto Rican seaman. He was self-educated and spent much of his childhood in Brazil singing on the streets to raise money for food. He became an actor after having been a circus performer, radio actor, and vaudeville performer.
In 1949, he acted in his first mainstream film, based on William Faulkner's novel, Intruder in the Dust, in which he played the role of "Lucas Beauchamp", a poor Southern sharecropper unjustly accused of murder. The film earned him a Golden Globe nomination for "New Star of the Year".
The film was listed as one of the ten best of the year by the New York Times. Faulkner said of the film: "I'm not much of a moviegoer, but I did see that one. I thought it was a fine job. That Juano Hernandez is a fine actor--and man, too."
In the 1950 western Stars In My Crown, directed by Jacques Tourneur, starring Joel McCrea, Hernández plays a freed slave who refuses to sell his land and faces an angry lynch mob.
He was singled out for praise for his performance in the 1950 film The Breaking Point with John Garfield. The New York Times called his performance "quietly magnificent."
He also received favorable notices for his performances in Trial (1955), about a politically charged court case, in which he played the judge, and Sidney Lumet's The Pawnbroker (1965).
Hernández returned to Puerto Rico late in his life and he died in San Juan on July 17, 1970 of a cerebral hemorrhage and was interred at Cementerio Buxeda Memorial Park, Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico.

PATRICIA MEDINA (1919 - 2012)
Patricia Paz Maria Medina was born in Liverpool, England to a Spanish father and an English mother. She began acting as a teenager in the late 1930s and worked her way up to leading roles in the mid-1940s, where she left for Hollywood. Medina teamed up with British actor Louis Hayward and they appeared together in Fortunes of Captain Blood (1950), The Lady and the Bandit (1951), Lady in the Iron Mask (1952) and Captain Pirate (1952). Voluptuous and exotic-looking, Medina was often typecast in period melodramas such as The Black Knight (1954). Two of her more notable films were William Witney's Stranger at My Door (1956) and Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin (1955), a follow-up of The Third Man (1949), based on the radio series "The Lives of Harry Lime". Although prolific during the early 1950s, her film career faded away by the end of the decade.
She and her husband, American actor Joseph Cotten, toured together in several plays and on Broadway in the murder mystery "Calculated Risk".
quote: [on working with Lou Costello, in Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion (1950)] He was a perfect gentleman, and so helpful to somebody who hadn't done very much acting. He'd ad-lib out of habit--he just couldn't help it. He certainly didn't do it to throw you, and if he did throw you, he was terribly apologetic and sweet. The only thing was, it was very difficult to look him in the eye without breaking up--he had that angelic face. He was a naughty little Peter Pan, he never grew up. And although he was a child, you can't be that great a performer without being a true sophisticate. And he was that. Many children are most sophisticated, and Lou was a very sophisticated child. I thought he was the greatest comedian I had ever seen. Nice.
Following her death at age 92, she was interred at Blandford Cemetary in Petersburg, Virginia beside her beloved Joseph Cotten.

ISABEL JEWELL (1907 - 1972)
Isabell Jewell, like other actresses in Hollywood in the 1930's, suffered from chronic typecasting. The diminutive, platinum-haired doctor's daughter seemed to be forever playing hardboiled, tough-talking broads: gangster's molls, dumb blondes, prostitutes and, of course, poor 'white trash' Emmy Slattery in Gone with the Wind (1939).
While stardom eluded her for the most part, she nonetheless remained a busy supporting actress with an impressive array of A-budget films to her credit. Signed as an MGM contract player, she reputedly earned up to $3,000 a week - a small fortune at the time.
While her parts were often small, they could also be memorable: for example, Ceiling Zero (1936), Marked Woman (1937), Lost Horizon (1937) and a poignant against-type performance as an ill-fated seamstress on her way to the guillotine in A Tale of Two Cities (1935).
In the 1940's and 50's, her roles diminished from small to bits to uncredited and she fell on hard times: in 1959, she got into trouble with the law in Las Vegas for passing bad cheques, and, two years later, spent five days in jail for drunk driving. She was found dead in her home in April 1972, aged just 64. One of her two former husbands was writer, producer and director Owen Crump (1903-1998). A lasting memory of Isabell Jewell is her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Birthday gal Isabel Jewell, Mayo Methot, Bette Davis, Rosalind Marquis, and Lola Lane
are the cast of "Marked Woman"
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You wouldn't mess with Mayo would you?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Not at all, Alison. If she can take on Bogart, she can take on anyone.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Barbara Stanwyck, birthday gal Isabel Jewell and Robert Taylor on the air
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Emanuel Cohen, vice-president in charge of production for Paramount, Mr. and Mrs. Gary Cooper and Adolph Zukor, president of Paramount, at the party given by Cohen in honor of the recently married couple
Joseph Goodheart
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Those 5 gals look very unhappy.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Uncle Stevie[/u] wrote:Those 5 gals look very unhappy.
Of course they are Uncle Stevie:

They were all told their next picture would be with Robert Cummings.

Yeah, hold the Mayo. She's especially bitter about that.

( Alison, this is the movie I've mentioned to you. )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
LOLA ALBRIGHT is 87 today
After modeling and working for a radio station in Akron, Ohio, Lola Albright moved to Hollywood in the mid-1940s. Considered one of the most stylish, sultriest and beautiful actresses in Hollywood, with one of the throatiest, smokiest and most distinctive voices in the business, in films as an MGM singing extra, in The Pirate (1948), Easter Parade (1948) and The Unfinished Dance (1947), she starred with Kirk Douglas in the 1949 hit Champion (1949).
From 1958 to 1961 she played nightclub singer Edie Hart in the popular TV series "Peter Gunn" (1958). She also made TV guest appearances on "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (1955), "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (1964) and "Airwolf" (1984). She played Constance McKenzie in the night-time soap opera "Peyton Place" (1964) after Dorothy Malone became ill and could no longer play the role. Lola received critical acclaim for her performances in A Cold Wind in August (1961), Joy House (1964) and How I Spent My Summer Vacation (1967) (TV).
Was married to Jack Carson for 6 years in the 1950s. Retired from acting and resides in California.

NATALIE WOOD (1938 - 1981)
Popular movie star Natalie Wood appeared in 56 films for TV and the silver screen and received 3 Oscar nominations before turning 25 (Rebel Without a Cause, Splendor in the Grass, Love with the Proper Stranger ).
As a child was cast in a major role opposite the legendary Orson Welles in Tomorrow Is Forever (1946). The following year, she starred as Susan Walker in one of the most famous films of all time, Miracle on 34th Street (1947), which for many people has become a traditional viewing every Christmas. Natalie stayed very busy as a child actress and appeared in over 20 films, including The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947), Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay! (1948), Our Very Own (1950).
quote: [in 1961] In so many ways I think it's a bore to be sorry you were a child actor - so many people feel sorry for you automatically. At the time I wasn't aware of the things I missed, so why should I think of them in retrospect? Everybody misses something or other.
Married twice to Robert Wagner. On November 27, 1981, Natalie invited Christopher Walken to join herself, Wagner, and boat captain Dennis Davern on a boat trip to Catalina Island. The following day, they dined at a restaurant on Catalina where Natalie became very intoxicated. That night, the four of them returned to their yacht, the "Splendor". The rest is a mystery, and the stories about how she ended up in the water have been conflicting. On the morning of Sunday, November 29th, 1981, her body was found floating face down in the ocean. Rumors of foul play immediately surfaced, but no charges were filed and her death was declared an accidental drowning. She was 43 years old.

K.T. STEVENS (1919 - 1994)
Former child actress, she graduated to leading-lady roles in Hollywood pictures of the 40's and 50's and played occasional character parts thereafter.
She certainly had the requisite genes for an acting career as her father was the legendary director Sam Wood and her mother was a stage performer. K.T. Stevens wasted no time either.
She possessed an open-faced prettiness and seemed ideal for film noir, but her chance to breakthrough never materialized despite decent roles in Kitty Foyle (1940), which was directed by her father, The Great Man's Lady (1942) starring Barbara Stanwyck, Port of New York (1949) with Yul Brynner, Vice Squad (1953) featuring Paulette Goddard, Harriet Craig serving Joan Crawford and the sci-fi film Missile to the Moon (1958). Following her 1967 divorce from actor Hugh Marlowe, K.T. abandoned acting for a time in favor of teaching nursery school.
She eventually returned to TV and made some strides in daytime soaps, most notably "The Young and the Restless" (1973).
K.T. had two sons, Jeffrey Marlowe, born in 1948 and Christian, born in 1951, the latter best known these days as sportscaster Chris Marlowe. She died of lung cancer in 1994.

VERNA FELTON (1890 - 1966)
Verna Felton had extensive experience on the stage and in radio before she broke into film and television. Her trademarks was her distinctive husky voice and her no-nonsense attitude.
She appeared in many films (notably as the sweet Helen Potts in "Picnic") but is best remembered as Hilda Crocker in the TV series "December Bride" (1954), a character she carried over into its spinoff, "Pete and Gladys" (1960).
Provided the voices for a number of memorable Disney characters: Flora in Sleeping Beauty (1959), Elephant Matriarch and Mrs. Jumbo in Dumbo (1941), Fairy Godmother in Cinderella (1950), Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland (1951), Aunt Sarah in Lady and the Tramp (1955) and Winifred in The Jungle Book (1967).
Was married and had one son Lee. Verna died in 1966 at 76 years of age of a stroke, the day before Walt Disney passed away.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I never realized that Lola Albright was married to Jack Carson! Holy moley, what an unexpected couple they make.

I realize that K.T. Stevens never made as big a splash as her pedigree might have presaged, but I thought that she was exceptionally memorable as the American actress of Jewish descent in Nazi Germany in the William Cameron Menzies film Address Unknown (1944).

Thanks for bringing these people to our attention again in your entertaining thread, Mongo.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, Moira. Always nice hearing from you.
I'll make it a point to try and see the movie "Address Unknown". I like K.T. a lot.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Birthday gal Natalie Wood puts her prints in cement in 1961, the year of two of her
best films, "West Side Story" and "Splendor in the Grass"
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Fancy Hairdo of Natalie Wood being posted here ... So Cute on Her!