*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

if people aren't too bored with more.

Larry, are you kidding??? we've been asking for this for toooo long! I would love to see the history of your Grandmother Nell here, because besides being a fascinating woman in her own right, your memories of her and all her friends is just as incredible!

yahoo!!!!!

your silly friend
Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

Larry,

As always, your anecdotes are grand and unique. Thanks for sharing them with us. Gong Li would be a wonderful as Tsu-Hzi; BTW she was superb in the visually stunning film "Curse of the Golden Flower".

Joe,

Have you seen "The Toy Wife"? I haven't and I like Luise Rainer very much. I think she was magnificent "The Good Earth" (1937).

I'd like to see more films featuring Ona Munson.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Fernando, I recently saw "The Toy Wife" during TCMs birthday tribute to
Luise Rainer (she is 99). The movie was more dramatic than I expected.
She was indeed at her very best as Olan in "The Good Earth".

Robert Taylor, wife Babara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper, wife Rocky attend special event in 1943

Comic actor Edgar Kennedy gets help from Johnny Weissmuller

The divine Greta Garbo

Actor/physique model Gary Conway (he is now 73)

Blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe

Lucille Ball and columnist Hedda Hopper competing for best hat

Montgomery Clift & Elizabeth Taylor clowning around during "A Place in the Sun"

Bette Davis and sister Bobby during a benefit for animals in 1938

Robert Mitchum discussing his role in "Night of the Hunter" with director Charles Laughton

Irene Dunne warmly greeting Jane Russell (that's Marie Wilson in the background)

Director William Wyler attempting to dismount a camel as Charlton Heston chuckles during the making of "Ben-Hur"

Mary Pickford, Charles 'Buddy' Rogers and Mrs.Clark Gable attending the funeral of Marion Davies in 1961

Movie star Tyrone Power at rest in 1958...much too soon

James Stewart and Spencer Tracy attend the funeral of Clark Gable in 1960

Stunning movie star Claudette Colbert in 1939

Cheers! Fred MacMurray, W.C. Fields & George Arliss drinking iced tea...yeah, sure.

Beautiful Hedy Lamarr on a bond selling tour during WWII
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the info on "The Toy Wife" Joe.

Great pics!
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Wowy Wo! It almost brings tears to my eyes to see some of the pics you post! We are all so in tune with these people. They are our lives! That pic of MacMurray, Fields, and Arliss ala 30, 50, and 70 is just so moving for me. I know they are all just pals sitting around getting drunk, but they had no idea that their legacy would live on for a hundred years inviting people to view them as old friends.

And, thanks for the Garbo pic! Holly smokes, naughty, naughty, Greta!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Oh my goodness, Claudette is simply gorgeous in that still, her face, her pose and her dress all perfect.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Garbomaniac, thank you. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the album of images.
Believe it or not there are over 1500 pictures posted in this thread...yikes.

CCfan, Claudette Colbert looked glamourous until the day she died.

Alan Ladd and wife Sue Carol with their children David and Alana in 1949

Zany Joan Davis clowning with her daughter Beverly in 1945

Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh with daughters Jamie Lee & Kelly in 1959

Gypsy Rose Lee cradles her son Erik during a stopover of her carnival show in 1945

Joan Crawford possibly testing for Scarlett O'Hara in GWTW in 1938

Tallulah Bankhead worships grand actress Ethel Barrymore in 1950

Dick Powell & June Allyson with son Dick Jr. on TV set in 1961

Anthony Perkins is a guest of Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward in 1958

Olivia de Havilland, Laurence Olivier, Vivien Leigh & David O. Selznick congregate

Victor Fleming directing Vivien Leigh during the massive wounded solders scene in "Gone With the Wind"

The gems of MGM: Cyd Charisse, June Allyson, Margaret O'Brien & Ann Miller

Billy Wilder directing Gloria Swanson & Cecil B. DeMille in "Sunset Blvd."

Brenda Marshall and husband William Holden on vacation in 1949

Greer Garson deodorizes her poodles while at the Vet's

George Raft and his steady date Betty Grable in 1942

Greta Garbo getting around in her golden years in 1990

Dorothy Lamour & Errol Flynn are ready for a belt a the bar

The late Eartha Kitt appearing with dynamo Mickey Rooney
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

1500 pics, my word Mongo, you have treated us. It's always a joy and a learning curve to look at this thread.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Please don't get me wrong about this because with my forked tongue, I enjoy seeing the photo. What I'm saying is Greta made it clear many years ago that she wanted to seriously be left alone. Couldn't this 'reporter' or 'photographer' understand that? A person of her stature, who quit when she was ahead, so she could always be remembered in her prime of beauty should be allowed her privacy and wishes.

It's one thing when they smile for the camera as the four MGM beauties did, after all, they were at their best, hair, makeup, dazzling gowns, etc. But to sneak a long photo lens shot is unforgivable. It's a shame these actors have no recourse. I grant they give up that privacy when they decide to become actors, but Greta had been out of the public eye for a lifetime when that was taken, and she should have some choice as to how her image is used.

As I said, I'm speaking with a forked tongue because although I feel sorry for certain artists, I'm still bad enough to look at the photo with interest - Nothing like being hypocritical is there?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Congratulations on 1500+ photos on your thread, Joe....
This is indeed a labour of love - both on your part and ours. So many famous and also forgotten stars all placed here together in our Pantheon of Immortality!!!

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Anne,

It became a game of sorts to track Garbo and photograph her. But at least she managed to look quite good, even without 'hair & makeup'....

She certainly looks 100 times better in that picture than some of the celebrities today who are more than half her age.

I well remember years ago, a friend and I spent a whole afternoon trying to locate her apartment building (in the UN district) and failing to discover her. It was fun and I don't know what we'd have done with her if we had bumped into her....

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:Please don't get me wrong about this because with my forked tongue, I enjoy seeing the photo. What I'm saying is Greta made it clear many years ago that she wanted to seriously be left alone. Couldn't this 'reporter' or 'photographer' understand that? A person of her stature, who quit when she was ahead, so she could always be remembered in her prime of beauty should be allowed her privacy and wishes.

As I said, I'm speaking with a forked tongue because although I feel sorry for certain artists, I'm still bad enough to look at the photo with interest - Nothing like being hypocritical is there?

Anne
Well, that's a good question, Anne . . . let me counter it with a question: why is it that so many of those suddenly reclusive performers, who are "retired", or "on hiatus", or fed up with "the life" and/or "done with it all", insist on continuing to reside, and thereby conduct errands in, places like Hollywood & Malibu & Beverly Hills & Laurel Canyon & West L.A. & Manhattan & London & Paris, and other such places that are meccas for polarizing show business moguls & papparazzi & celebrity chasers & motion picture power brokers?
Harrison Ford wanted to duck the big lights so he moved to backwater Wyoming, started building furniture: mission accomplished; Whoopi Goldberg had enough of the glitz, relocated to Dummerston, Vt, and is now just one of the locals (and by the way, she says "Hi!"), for nearly 10 years, Ron Howard lived under radar just up the road in Newfane; after being hounded by the press, Carly Simon bought a home on Martha's Vineyard, has all the privacy she needs; Charlie Chaplin found Switzerland to be his prescription for solitude, Madonna dodges the limelight in Scotland; for peace of mind, Steve Martin prowls the art district in Santa Fe, and between acting gigs, Kelsey Grammar is a beachcombing Hawaiian; George Clooney sticks pretty much to his villa in Southern Italy.
If a performer wishes to dodge the press, why don't they just go somewhere else, or at the very least steer clear of celebrity haunts like Rodeo Drive, or the Rive Gauche, or platinum card restaurants, or LAX?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I stand corrected.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Klondike, I'm not looking to start anything, I was just thinking about your post. I think most people, celebrity or common joe, are all creatures of habit. If I find a really great shop or restaurant or whatever, I usually go back often. (this is theoretical, I can't go to the local McDonalds right now! :shock: ) Anyway, I agree that some of the ones who scream "leave me alone" do it loudly enough to catch attention. But others may have roots, a home they love, etc, and don't want to leave it. You have to admit, a move across country is pretty wrenching. I had palpitations moving 5 miles down the road. :lol:
Most celebrities, politicians, sports figures, in fact anyone in the limelight, are basically children at heart. They love to play dress up and act out, and get paid huge amounts of money to do so. I know that is a sweeping generalization, but I think it more often is true than it isn't. We hear the horror stories about bad behavior from our stars, and seldom hear about the ones who behave themselves and lead fairly normal lives. I would imagine when they walk away, they have the respect of the entire community, and are left in peace.

Just a ha'penny's worth of opinion.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:
Most celebrities, politicians, sports figures, in fact anyone in the limelight, are basically children at heart. They love to play dress up and act out, and get paid huge amounts of money to do so. I know that is a sweeping generalization, but I think it more often is true than it isn't. We hear the horror stories about bad behavior from our stars, and seldom hear about the ones who behave themselves and lead fairly normal lives. I would imagine when they walk away, they have the respect of the entire community, and are left in peace.

Just a ha'penny's worth of opinion.

Nancy
Nancy, I think you may indeed have just shed a lot of light on the why of my original point of challenge; I really hadn't considered the psyche & personality profile that creates community, and sometimes even commonality, between celebrities . . perhaps one could even argue that it's part of that "price of glory" chroniclers are always referencing after the fact.
Anyways, I believe that sure holds a lot more water than your suggestion about people not wanting to sever their roots from their neighborhoods . . how many aspiring actors really grow up in Hollywood, or Beverly Hills, or on Park Avenue or Central Park West? Seems to me that "breaking out" of those million-dollar neighborhoods should be a heckuva lot easier than their struggle was, hanging-on by one's fingernails as they waited to "break in".
I guess I don't really begrudge anyone choosing to endure that sort of fickle contradiction . . only their right to our sympathy, when there are so many solutions for it.