*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by klondike »

Sorry, Signor Rubini, but I'm still pouting over the Division of National Monuments' refusal to consider adding a sideways-seated marble sculpture of Ava Gardner to Abe's lap at the Lincoln Memorial . . not sure what their problem was - I offered to submit sketches, and to start petition drives . . . I emphasized how tastefully it could be rendered, but they seem adamant not to return my calls . . :evil:
So, listen, Moraldo, you leverage me some recognition with those stuffy old Republicans in D.C., and I'll help you do whatever it takes to get Harlow Ween on every American's calendar! :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Superior movie stars Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck take a break
Last edited by mongoII on March 6th, 2011, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

I'm surprised . . you'd think Coop would've known better than trying to get fresh with a savvy gal like Babs!

(I know - there are those who'd i.d. this pic as being from Ball of Fire . . but nobody fools the old Sled Dog . . :wink: )
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

but nobody fools the old Sled Dog . . :wink: )
much....
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Bette Davis on set of "The Bride Came C.O.D."
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JAMES BRODERICK (1927 - 1982)

PHILLIP TERRY (1909 - 1993)

ANNA MAGNANI (1908 - 1973)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

WHEN THE CAR BREAKS DOWN
CHARLES COBURN

MARLENE DIETRICH

GARY COOPER
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A repeat image of the late Jane Russell who joins Lou Costello and Elvis Presley in 1957
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Ben Gage, wife Esther Williams and Betty Garrett & Larry Parks at the Ice Follies of 1951
Joseph Goodheart
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Was Dean Stockwell the most beautiful child ever?
What a face.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, he was the cutest thing! and a pretty terrific actor too - I wish TCM would get Dean to sit down with Robert Osborne - maybe as a guest programmer.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
LYNN REDGRAVE (1943 - 2010)

SEAN McCLORY (1924 - 2003)

CYD CHARISSE (1921 - 2008)

PRISCILLA LAWSON (1914 - 1958)

CLAIRE TREVOR (1910 - 2000)

LOUISE BEAVERS (1902 - 1962)

PAT FLAHERTY (1897 - 1970)
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yay! Pat Flaherty! My FAVORITE bit player! Thanks Mongo! He's one of the few actors I actually scream out about when he shows up in a movie.

Can someone tell me who Sean McClory is? He's a doll in that photo.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Can someone tell me who Sean McClory is? He's a doll in that photo.
Och, macushla, Sean McClory (1924-2003) first gained wide recognition as one of the crowd in the pub, horse race and fight scenes in The Quiet Man, though after a stint at the Abbey Theater, he had actually been working in Hollywood since 1947 appearing in everything from Dick Tracy movies to The Glass Menagerie, usually as an Irish cop, though he was quite capable of playing an American-born native as well. He became known as a character actor capable of charm and menace, with a sharp gift for showing the dark side of Irish charm. He appeared to good advantage as a white-haired, shady archeologist in Mexico in Plunder in the Sun (a Batjac Production that starred Glenn Ford, who was overshadowed by McClory all the way).
Scary Sean in Plunder in the Sun (1953).

Sort of a late-era member of John Ford's stock company, Sean appeared in What Price Glory (1952), played Tyrone Power's businessman brother in The Long Gray Line (1955) and was also cast in Cheyenne Autumn (1964).
McClory also appeared in Them! as a helicopter pilot. You can read some amusing comments on McClory and other actors in that production in this Joan Weldon interview. Throughout the '50s-'70s, Sean McC. would pop up on television, often in cowboy or adventure films, (he was great on The Rifleman and Bonanza when he appeared on those programs) though he also appeared on Perry Mason and Alfred Hitchcock at times.

His last feature film was in John Huston's last movie, The Dead (1987), in which he played a character (added to Joyce's story by the director and his son and fellow scenarist, Tony Huston) who read the haunting poem Donal Og (Gaelic for "Young Donal"), which had been translated by Lady Gregory.
Above: Sean McClory playing "Mr. Grace" on the left closest to the camera in the New Year's dinner scene in The Dead (1987).

Below: With Maureen O'Hara shortly before McClory's death in 2003.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh dear - I should have known! I have even looked him up once before when I "discovered" him in The Quiet Man one day (it's a movie that turns up a new subtle performance and character actor every time I watch it.) I think it's time to investigate Mr. McClory further - I've seen all but one of the movies you mentioned, it's time I went back and revisited them with him in mind.