*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Moraldo Rubini

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

ChiO wrote:And that pretty much concludes the quotations from REPO MAN that need not be censored.
"Plate of Shrimp"
klondike

Post by klondike »

Anyone get the feeling we're all a little homesick this morning for Repo Man?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

DISCORD in LA-LA LAND

Irate Edward G. Robinson attacks George Raft on the set of "Manpower"

Mary Astor getting help after taking an overdose of sleeping pills in 1951
(Orson Welles in center?)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:DISCORD in LA-LA LAND

Irate Edward G. Robinson attacks George Raft on the set of "Manpower"
Probably started with them bragging about who'd been invited to more of Bugsy Siegel's Sunday afternoon barbecues . . . come to think of it, as Bugsy was usually on-set as the film's "principal financier", he was probably the one who broke up that fight!

P.S: Just noticed - looks like that might be Alan Hale trying to restrain Eddie, while Ward Bond settles down for a ringside seat behind him.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, it is reported that a fistfight developed on the set between stars Edward G. Robinson and George Raft when Raft spun Robinson around too hard for a scene in "Manpower".
I don't believe that the two ever mingled again after that incident. In fact Robinson refused a part in "Some Like It Hot" since Raft was also in the movie. Yet, Edward G. Robinson Jr. appeared in the film in a scene with Raft.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JULY 15th. BIRTHDAYS

JAN-MICHAEL VINCENT is 65 today

PATRICK WAYNE is 70 today

ANDRA MARTIN is 74 today

NAN MARTIN is 82 today

JOE TURKEL is 82 today

PHILIP CAREY (1925 - 2009)

MERVYN VYE (1913 - 1976)

ENID BENNETT (1893 - 1969)

MARJORIE RAMBEAU (1889 - 1970)
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Geez! :shock: :shock: Baby Face Vincent is older than I am!!!!! Joe, can you find a current picture of J-V, Harrison Ford, or Patrick Wayne?

Thanks!

not-so-old Nancy :lol: :lol:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Here they are, Nancy.

Jan Michael

Patrick

Harrison
Joseph Goodheart
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Jan Michael looks like Nick Nolte's bad step brother. Patrick looks like everyone wants to when they get that age.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Patrick looks exactly the same!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I thought I read somewhere that J-M was ill, and maybe had had a stroke at some point.

Too bad if that's the case, but he's never been a favorite of mine -- too much like those self-regarding, arrogant pretty boys I knew in college (Tom Cruise is another one I can't take too much of). However, I thought he was very good in The Mechanic, as Charles Bronson's perfidious apprentice.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gary Cooper playing around with his pets
Last edited by mongoII on July 15th, 2009, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: However, I thought he was very good in The Mechanic, as Charles Bronson's perfidious apprentice.
I can second that, Jude; I too had my snags in enjoying J-MV's performances, but in my case, that was always softeneded by his uncanny resemblence to my brother's son, who is only 3 years younger than myself. So I guess you could say I always regarded him with a sort of big-brother affection, though he's almost 10 years older than I am.
I would also opine, having seen him in about everything he's done, at one time or another, that where he ended up shining the brightest was in his role as Ernest Borgnine's hero-for-hire partner in the TV series "Airwolf".
How can you not groove on a decorated combat copper pilot who plays the cello to relax, resides in a beautiful cabin high in the Rockies and is named Stringfellow Hawk? {Oh yeah, he takes down bad guys in his spare time, too!}
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like all dogs but these aren't the kind of dogs I'd imagined Gary Coope would have.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Coop's two companions appear to be a Miniature Poodle, and a Havanese, although the one on the right could as well be a Shih Tzu, hard to say from the angle.