*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:Hey, I'm not trying to hijack this, but it just occurred to me: I think Klonnie should post a photo of his own derriere, so Judith and I can compare glutes, and then come to a fair decision..... :lol: :lol: :lol: So far, with no FIRM evidence, Ol' Chuck is doing ok by me! :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
"That's diriculous!", Spencer Tracy, as Adam Bonner in Adam's Rib.

No, really, tell ya what: anyone who's seriously intrigued by so bizarre a comparison, is invited to PM me.
Who knows what might happen!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Joe. You've posted a handful of some really fantastic pictures.

María Montez looks really sexy in the last one!!! :shock:

And the very young Jane Wyman looks so happy with the also very young Ronald Reagan.

The handsome Randolph Scott makes a truly odd couple with the Du Pont heiress, she looks like the Frau Rottenmayer character from Heidi. As mismatched as Gable looked with Rhia Langham.

Thanks for the nice compliment Hedvig.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, Nancy. Glad that you liked most of the pictures. Regarding Frances Farmer and Bela Lugosi not everything was peaches and cream, unfortunately.

Fernando, that was funny about Frau Rottenmayer.

On with the show....more pictures
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, Mongo, r.e. Spence's jodhpurs:
I seem to recall from one of his biographies that he was quite the dedicated polo player, and, at least in the early forties, was considered be a formidable opponent at several different clubs.
Was that really true? Could that be the reason for those British "puff-pants"?
(The polo-player image always struck me more Gable's style than Tracy, especially with his blue-collar, milltown-Catholic-from-Wisconsin background . . was he just trying to impress Loretta?!)
Last edited by klondike on August 15th, 2008, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:
jdb1 wrote:
klondike wrote: P.S: Didn't you & I originally meet a couple years ago in a discussion of the overlooked beauty of Ina Balin?!
Don't know for sure. I can't recall where I first mentioned that my high school friends always told me I looked like Ina. I remember there was a thread called "What Stars Do You Look Like." I started my message board career at IMDb, but that was just at the time when that board spun totally out of control. Then I found TCM, and have happily ended up here.

And, Knitty, I think I'll pass on the comparison test, unless all the participants are Hollywood-grade (no offense Klonny - only trying to help preserve your honor).
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

No, really, tell ya what: anyone who's seriously intrigued by so bizarre a comparison, is invited to PM me.
Who knows what might happen!
Gee, Klonnie, I've been trying to send you a pm since last night, but I keep getting a message that says "Mailbox full, 35 people ahead of you in line"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So, Mr. Mongo.....on with the show!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nancy, I'm just getting into gear.

Montgomery Clift: the morning after (photo by Stanley Kubrick).

Vivien Leigh fitted for the red 'birthday dress' in GWTW.

Joan Crawford & Bette Davis publicity shot from
"Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte". Eventually Miss Crawford
withdrew from the film.

Gail Russell & husband Guy Madison back from the hunt.

Richard Widmark with wife Jean & daughter Ann.

Sophia Loren has a hold on Elvis Presley.

Thursday's Star of the Day...Greer Garson with Irene Dunne.

Pals Henry Fonda and James Stewart have a go at ping pong.

Abbott & Costello preparing for a radio show.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

This is such a great thread!!!! :lol: :D
Keep them coming Mongo: it's bringing a smile to my face each time I look at it. 8)
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

That Spencer Tracy pic is pure class.

I like the Bela Lugosi one simply because of how unusual it is. Keep throwing in some darker ones like that and the Frances Farmer one. Hollywood has a dark side that is equally fascinating.

Oh and the Bette Davis, Norma Shearer and Miriam Hopkins is great too. Surprised to see Bette and Miriam not strangling each other.

Ooh and that Monty Clift one is incredible. Is that staged or what?
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:Hey, Mongo, r.e. Spence's jodhpurs:
I seem to recall from one of his biographies that he was quite the dedicated polo player, and, at least in the early forties, was considered be a formidable opponent at several different clubs.
Was that really true? Could that be the reason for those British "puff-pants"?
(The polo-player image always struck me more Gable's style than Tracy, especially with his blue-collar, milltown-Catholic-from-Wisconsin background . . was he just trying to impress Loretta?!)
Gee, Klonny - really, I thought Spence as polo player was common knowledge -- I'm sure it's true, 'cause I've seen lots of photos of him at the polo matches those macho Hollywood stars had among themselves, many of them with him in action. I'll see if I can find some.

Later

Haven't come across any usable photos yet, but I found this:

From the Will Rogers Park Historic Site website:

"Polo played a big part in life at the ranch; in fact, the famed Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel got its name because Will Rogers and his movie star friends (like Douglas Fairbanks, Clark Gable, Walt Disney, Spencer Tracy, Gary Cooper, Tyrone Power, David Niven, Tim Holt and producer Darryl Zanuck) used to stop at the hotel restaurant after their polo games at this ranch."

From the Will Rogers Polo Club site:

"The park was originally the private estate of Will Rogers: famed humorist, newspaper columnist, cowboy, author, movie star and polo player. In fact, Will Rogers landscaped the polo field in 1926, before he even built his home! Rogers and his family lived here between 1928 and 1935. During this period, he and his friends (ie. David Niven, Spencer Tracy, Hal Roach, Walt Disney and Clark Gable) played on this field on weekend mornings and then ride [sic] over to Uplifter's to watch the 'high goal' games. "
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't know why I'm so obssessed with this, but I'm learning lots of interesting things:

Here's a photo entitled "Spencer Tracy at a polo match, November 1949" (note the dude with the Brownie trying to snap Spence).
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Myrnaloy, I believe that the Montgomery Clift is staged. He usually went along with gags.

Judith, nice picture of a suspicious looking Spencer Tracy.

Thank you, Ann Harding. More images are coming at you to enjoy.

Lizabeth Scott 85 at Barbara Stanwyck tribute (2007).

MM...Baby it's cold outside...

Quirky James Dean in a coffin...much too soon.

Jan Sterling in tip top shape.

Marlene Dietrich with troops during WWII.

Sabu cooling off.

Ann Sheridan getting the star treatment.

William Holden hiding a surprise from wife Brenda Marshall.

Greta Garbo strolling alone in New York.

Harry James & Betty Grable with daughters Vicki & Jessica.

Rita Hayworth getting ready for her close-up.

Robert Walker with sons Robert and Michael.

James Cagney and his wife 'Bill' at the roller rink.

Burgess Meredith and his wife Paulette Goddard during WWII.

Spencer Tracy with daughter Susie, wife Louise and son John.

Gilbert Roland, Dolores del Rio and Jon Hall on the town.

On the set of "Camille" with director George Cukor, Greta Garbo & Robert Taylor.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ahhh . . Brenda Marshall . .
You know the Eye Candy is plenty rich & sweet when it can almost upstage Jimmy Cagney in his prime (and with little or no contribution to dialogue, no less), like Brenda did in Captains of the Clouds!
And poor, poor old Lizabeth . . she looks like John Malkovich in drag!
Last edited by klondike on August 15th, 2008, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Wow, Bette & Joan posed on tombstones - how apt...
They both must have known that a second movie would never work for them, not after Joan 'stole' Bette's Oscar the previous year.
However, I'd have loved to have seen Joan's interpretation of "Miriam" in relation to Olivia's... Olivia was superb, but what if anything of Joan's survives???
Does any DVD show Joan's performance in its extras - she did do a weeks worth of filming before aboandoning "HHSC"......

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, I found this tidbit on the internet.

March/2008: According to Liz Smith, there is a new documentary in the works about the making of Robert Aldrich’s enormously entertaining 1964 Grand Guignol, "Hush…Hush, Sweet Charlotte" and
Joan Crawford’s unreleased scenes from “Hush…Hush, Sweet Charlotte” is to be included in a new DVD.
I myself would like to see it.

Klondike, lovely Brenda Marshall was married to actor William Holden (30 years), a curious union that evidently soured early on (Holden's friends blamed Marshall, and vice versa), and was distinguished by extended separations and numerous extracurricular romances. It's a fact that Marshall just about raised their sons Scott and Peter alone.
I won't comment on Lizabeth Scott since I'm happy just to have her around.